Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 07-28-2014, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how to call strangers

hi
I didn't know where to put this post so it's multicultural section.

We are parents of 8-month old baby and we're both from the same country but as my English is pretty decent, we decided that my wife will stick to native language and I'd explain the world to my child in English

I have a basic question to anyone proficient in English:

Imagine the situation that you meet your neighbour (you are holding your child on your arms) in the corridor. Neighbour whose name you don't know. You say hello and your child is quiet. You want to comment to your child that he / she should say hello. You want to do it in front of your neighbour and say it out loud.

How do you do it?
Do you say something: "Hey, say hello to Mister..." Mister who? Your have no clue about his name. How to avoid speaking someone's name: "Hey, say hello to Sir" sounds silly to me. It's possible in my native language though so you can avoid saying a name.

Hope my question is clear ?

Thank you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a native American English speaker, and I would just say "say 'hello.'" It would be grammatically correct to say something like "Say hello to this gentleman," but if you don't know the name, just "say hello" seems like the standard. If you're wanting the child to say "hello, sir/ma'am" (which wouldn't be standard at all for children in the US these days), I think you'd have to prompt that at another time, with "when we say hello, we say 'hello, sir' or 'hello, ma'am,'" or something like that.

36, hoping to have a new member of the family in 2015, to join my queer clan: Me , Things 1&2 , my long-distance KD/cheerleader (the guy who's been telling everyone what a great mom I'm going to be) , and the rest of the superheroes and sidekicks .
Old 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
When mine were little I would quietly prompt them off to the side that way in those situations- "say 'Thank you, Sir' to that man for letting you pet his dog' or 'nice to talk with you ma'am' to the lady"
It wasn't awkward as most people know that little ones are learning manners.
I guess the form of address would vary depending on where you live. We're in the southern U.S., where "ma'am and sir" are appropriate.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
When mine were little I would quietly prompt them off to the side that way in those situations- "say 'Thank you, Sir' to that man for letting you pet his dog' or 'nice to talk with you ma'am' to the lady"
It wasn't awkward as most people know that little ones are learning manners.
I guess the form of address would vary depending on where you live. We're in the southern U.S., where "ma'am and sir" are appropriate.
I agree with this. I'm also from the South and here even adults refer to each other as Sir and Mam. It isn't something just reserved for elders here. I frequently have women and men that are my age call me mam. That's just how we talk.

Michelle mom to DD , DS , & lil DD plus and spending my days
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I think it really just depends on the area. I tell DS to say hello or hi to the "nice man/woman/person" it seems to work pretty well

- - - -
Old 07-30-2014, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Sir and Ma'am are things I miss from my southern upbringing

They never are out of style & are appropriate in any situation in any English-speaking culture.

User Tag List