#61 of 168 Old 02-15-2008, 12:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxie View Post
Paddington, love your senior title
: Thanks.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 168 Old 02-15-2008, 02:39 AM

Hi!

I'm American, DH is Lebanese, we lived in France until two weeks ago when we moved to the US.

DS speaks French, English and Arabic, and we're trying to figure out how we'll maintain all three languages in the States.

So glad that this forum exists!!!!
#63 of 168 Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 AM

Hi!
I'm Puerto Rican and my DH is Filipino.

Whether DS will be multilingual is definitely a concern. I need more help and will be looking into the OPOL method mentioned.

I am happy the tribe became a forum!
#64 of 168 Old 02-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Yay! I'm American-born, of Swedish and Irish/Scottish heritage (with the requisite bit of Native thrown in through violence), and my partner is American-born half Puerto Rican/half Polish. I carried our child, conceived with PR donor sperm, so that we would get as close as possible to an accurate "mix" (surprisingly small number of PR donors - we figure it's cuz they're all good Catholic boys!)

Anyway, to look at us all we're pretty bland/white, but after learning some about whiteness/privilege/multicuralism, I want to work hard to not let our family be "whitewashed" out of our heritage. I was VERY proud of my Swedish and my Gaelic backgrounds growing up, and DP identifies strongly with PR politics and such (not so much the Polish, except for the food, but whatever), so we are going to make sure that our son gets to experience at least some of that heritage as he grows up. Also, we'll be visiting family in PR eventually (once we're sure they'll actually let us - a queer family - in the door!)

Glad to have this forum, and looking forward to the conversations here - heated or not!
#65 of 168 Old 02-16-2008, 12:42 AM

I am such a dork! I've been hollering and badgering the mods for a MC forum and I didn't even know it appeared

Yay!

<deleted personal information at request of author>

#66 of 168 Old 02-16-2008, 04:22 PM

I'm biracial (half black, half white) and dh is full black. I'm learning German and speak it as much as I can to our kids, dh speaks to them in mainly English but sometimes throws in some German he's picked up from me. We also have some exposure to other languages and I'd like to get the kids stronger in Spanish but right now we're focusing on being completely bilingual in both German and English. English is definitely their stronger language, we live in the US and I'm the only one who speaks to them in German. Plus, we homeschool and that is in English so they get a lot more English. I'm ordering more German books, dvds, and audio so that I can integrate more German into our homeschooling so hopefully that'll even out the languages a bit.

Mama to two boys and a girl.
#67 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilushka View Post
I'm a white American with no Europea ethnic identity married to a Russian. I speak Russian and Russian is the language of our home.
How did you manage to learn Russian? It is such a difficult language!!!

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)
#68 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 12:55 AM

Wow, I can't believe that this folder finally exists!

Anyway, I'm mags, my DH and I are a pan-asian family. I am taiwanese american, born and raised in america. My DH is korean american, born in south korea, but his family came to the US when he was in elementary school. He is pretty much americanized, but he has the advantage of having the ability to speak korean, fluent enough to get by, while speaking perfect english as well. I on the other hand can understand some mandarin and taiwanese, but I can't really speak well at all, I have a horrible american accent!

It may surprise many of you that although my DH and I are both asian american, we have dealt with a good deal of cultural issues regarding our parents. In many ways, it's like dealing with three cultures, korean, taiwanese and american, we often feel like we are caught in the middle. We would like to expose our children to both korean and taiwanese culture, but my DH and I struggle with this, b/c both of us have had watered down exposure to our own cultural heritage while growing up, "american." We try out best, but we presently live in an area with very little diversity, basically we ARE the diversity! So, while we can expose the kids to cultural things with books and by talking about it, it is not easy for seek out cultural activities and other asian american kids for our kids to hang out with.
#69 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 01:24 AM

Cool, well I've finally wandered over.

Lets see... DP is an all-american "white mutt" as he puts it and well I cover just about everything else. My mother was born in PR and her mother is what is often referred to as a "black" Puerto Rican. My father's mother is Penn Dutch. My father's grandfather was born in Dunoon, Scotland and my father's grandmother was Cree (Métis)

I only speak English with a smattering of Spanish, German, Gaelic & Métis (mostly swears and food related).

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#70 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 AM

Hi from the Aug 05 DDC, Mags!

I'm Kate, I'm American and English speaking married to a Swiss/French speaking man. We have one dd and I have one dd from a previous marriage. We practice OPOL with dd2 while dd1 learns French and dh and I speak English, but I am pushing to incorporate more French, since I've taken some classes as an adult and do know some words and phrases (and even how to conjugate some verbs!).

We live in a medium sized town, but it's a University town close to a big city, so there are plenty of French-language resources here. In fact, two of my neighbors (both SAHMs) are French-speaking, so dd2 has some exposure. Dd1 is starting middle-school next year and will begin (finally) taking French class. She's taken a few classes in early elementary (through the Alliance Francaise) and learns from my dh too.

I'm very anxious about my dd2 learning the language, at least, and my dh hanging in there with OPOL. It seems the longer he lives in the states, the more of a challenge it is for him to identify with his heritage. As he says sometimes, "I'm starting to think in English".

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#71 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Oh This forum looks awesome!!!
I am white american (french,irish,norwegian,german,enlish) basically a mutt :P. DH is spanish and indian. We are TTC #1. We get constant stares when we are out in public for some reason. It really makes me sad that some people cannot accept interracial relationships.

Dh is fluent in Spanish, and I only speak a little. I can say basic things but am trying to become fluent. We also have very different religious views which is a whole other story but somehow everything works out

I really look forward to being apart of this forum!
#72 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 01:00 PM

Hi everyone! I was just redirected here from the Interracial Tribes thread.

I'm white and my DH is Indian (East Indian vis Tanzania). We live in one of the most multicultural neighbourhoods in a really multicultural city (Toronto, Ontario) and so the mix is not a very big deal to anyone. My sister is married to a man who is Chinese/Iranian - our extended family is already set up to be all kinds of colours.

We do have some challenges when it comes to culture, though - my DH's family are Muslim and aren't too pleased with some of the parenting choices we hope to make (we're expecting our first). We're atheists, the DH and I, and so we won't raise our children within the faith. Nor would I circumcise the child if its a boy. But these are splits every new parent needs to reconcile with the previous generation, so I don't feel it has anything to do with the "multiculturalness" of our family. We're just not the same people as our parents.

Nice to meet you all!

Charlotte

Charlotte, mommy to Maggie (July 15th 2008) and Una (July 19th 2011)!
#73 of 168 Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 PM

I'm a typical American of European descent. Dh family is multicultural Mexican and Israeli. Dh is fluent in Spanish and Hebrew as well as English and also moderately successful in German and Yiddish and knows some Arabic.

My Spanish isn't that good, I can read and understand a decent amount but I'm not much of a speaker even though my accent is pretty good. I used to be able to read Hebrew but I've lost most of that ability.

He tried doing OPOL with dd but just didn't keep it up and it was harder for him since I don't know the language well enough so he would end up having to translate anyway for me and then he just got lazy.
#74 of 168 Old 02-18-2008, 12:10 AM

Ktmama,

It's nice to run into you again! I have to admit that I got very overwhelmed with the 8/05 group and ended up just dropping out. I can't believe our babies are 2.5 yrs old already, can you??? Time really flew fast! BTW, congrats, I see on your sig you are expecting another little one! I hope that everything is going smoothly with your pregnancy!
#75 of 168 Old 02-18-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm American born (but not "American" by culture--my family is waaaaaay out of the norm). My dh is Ethiopian, but he is somewhat outside of his own culture, having been born of a "mixed marriage" (two different tribes) and spent time all over his country with different tribal groups.

My dh is fluent in 5 languages, and I only know a few words in his national language. I had hoped that we could raise our children multilingual, but with his focus on improving his English here in the states, that's fallen by the wayside. When they start formal schooling, we will add Amharic lessons and I will learn along with them. Hopefully we will be back in his country while they are still children and able to pick up languages relatively easily.
#76 of 168 Old 02-19-2008, 01:25 PM

Hi, I am American (English-German roots), and DH moved here from Croatia just over 10 years ago. We have two great kiddos and at home we (mostly) do OPOL, but we speak Croatian at the table to make up for the fact that the kiddos hear English all day at day care.

DH's family is still all in Croatia, so I would be interested in hearing from other families who are trying to foster grandparent relationships from afar (hooray for Skype!!).
#77 of 168 Old 02-19-2008, 06:16 PM

[QUOTE=Bad Mama Jama;10513978]I understand the nursing thing. When my dd was tiny, a horrified woman asked me was that my child that I was nursing. My dd is pretty fair and I am more of a caramel color. I politely told the lady that no, she wasn't mine and I just came to the daycare to nurse random children. She laughed awkwardly and said something to the effect of, I didn't know she was Black. Gee, she didn't tell you?

LOL, once while I was at the park with my then toddler DS and 3 month old DD, I had to nurse my DD. Well, the nannys that sat next to me must have caught whiplash because they turned their heads so fast. You see, my DS is from my first marriage and very brown. While my DD is what my DH calls piss yellow(?). Besides the fast that I'm brown skin, the park that I frequented at that time was mainly visited by caretakers. I'm almost 100% sure that they thought I was nursing one of my charges, LOL.

As for my family, I'm African American. My husband is Albanian(parents from Kosovo), but he was born in Italy. We've been married for almost 8 years. Together we have 4 children ages 6,5,3 and 5 months. I have a 10 year old DS from a previous marriage.

: 2:Ma To 6 :12,8,7,5,2,1&
#78 of 168 Old 02-19-2008, 08:27 PM

I am interested to hear of other families with roots in India...

I am causasian-American, and DH is from southern India (Kerala). DH's entire family still lives in India, so that is hard on him. Dh will be applying for US citizenship this year. We have 2 little girls, who both have dark hair and dark eyes, but we've been surprised by how fair their skin color is, almost the same color as mine (German-Slovakian ancestry).

I wish DH would teach them either Hindi or Malayalam (his native language) as they grow up, but he's reluctant to do that. He says they should grow up learning Spanish, since so many people speak that here in the U.S.!
Anyone have ideas on how can I get him to change his mind?

Mama to dd born 7/2005, dd born 12/2007 and dd born 11/2009.
#79 of 168 Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM

Hi I'm white of German descent and my daughters' father is black.
#80 of 168 Old 02-19-2008, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I didn't even realize this form was finally created until I saw a post from it on the New Posts page.

We live in an area with a lot of interractial couples. It's actually more common to see people of mixed ancestry here than anywhere else in the country. However, DH and I are not interracial. We're multiethnic or interethnic. I'm Asian. He's a mix of Asian and White. We were both raised in the US. Our daughter is a lovely mix of Chinese, Japanese, Filipino, Portuguese, and more. She has about 7 different ethnic backgrounds she could trace her ancestry to. We think she's the greatest thing on earth.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#81 of 168 Old 02-20-2008, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yay! I'm so glad this forum got started!

My dh and I both have various European/Scandinavian roots. We have one bio son and one daughter who was born in China (adopted last spring). We are all trying to learn Mandarin. Looking forward to sharing more with you all soon.
#82 of 168 Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beppie View Post
I am interested to hear of other families with roots in India...

I am causasian-American, and DH is from southern India (Kerala). DH's entire family still lives in India, so that is hard on him. Dh will be applying for US citizenship this year. We have 2 little girls, who both have dark hair and dark eyes, but we've been surprised by how fair their skin color is, almost the same color as mine (German-Slovakian ancestry).

I wish DH would teach them either Hindi or Malayalam (his native language) as they grow up, but he's reluctant to do that. He says they should grow up learning Spanish, since so many people speak that here in the U.S.!
Anyone have ideas on how can I get him to change his mind?

I don't know about Malayalam, but I should think Hindi is actually very potentially useful in business and India will only be increasingly important as an economic power in the future. Since not that many American born speak Hindi (as opposed to Spanish), it actually could be more of an edge in the future jobmarket than Spanish. That's how I would sell it. It also obviously is a connection to the culture which is also important, although it's not the language of the hearth, so to speak. At any rate, having two languages from an early age will probably only make it easier for them to learn Spanish as a third later (or another language as a third). That's actually my plan -- Russian and English from toddlerhood, and a third language (I prefer Spanish since I know it myself, but it will be their choice) hopefully starting up later in elementary school.
#83 of 168 Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM

Hi everyone. My dh and I are caucasian and our 5yo ds is biracial (caucasian/afro-american). I'm glad there's a new forum to lurk in!
#84 of 168 Old 02-20-2008, 06:04 PM

I'm already behind in posts. But that's okay. I'm so excited to see this forum.

I'm Mary Beth, married to dh for many years. We have three boys (now 11, 9, and 6). We live in Western MD where dh is a professor and I'm an adjunct.
#85 of 168 Old 02-20-2008, 07:50 PM

Well...we're really not multi-cultural in action because ds's biodad split and he hasn't been exposed to his culture much, so I've kind of fallen down on the job there, I guess. But we're getting there. The rest of our household is caucasian mutts German/Irish/English/Dutch with some Native American thrown in but ds is half Mexican, 1/4 dutch, maybe 1/32 Native American and 31/32 German or something like that?

The mixture of races here has been great for us though. We have some friends down the road who are from Mexico, and ds is friends with their son who is teaching him Spanish. They have also introduced him to authentic Mexican food as opposed to what I call white people mexican food, which is really all he's known before.

He also has a friend at school who is teaching him some Tagalog and another who is teaching him Thai. There is a local TV show that has a Hawaiian word of the day, plus what you pick up just from daily conversation and between dh's work and the exploration we do by being new here we're learning a lot about Hawaiian culture. I've got one Native Hawaiian client who teaches me about Hawaiian folklore and religious beliefs, so we're getting a lot of information about a bunch of different cultures in a short period of time. I'm glad that he's curious and able to soak up all this stuff so quickly, it makes me feel a little bit better about dropping the ball so badly before.

for intuitive readings click here :
#86 of 168 Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 AM
Banned

O.M.G.

It here!!!

This will be a quick lil intro as I should be preparing for class.

I'm a European mix and the same goes for dh and ds. Dd is Black, Caucasian and a pinch of Native American. Without trying to make it seem like an effort, dh and I have worked to make sure she is surrounded by people of many cultures. The desire to be part of multi-ethnic communities figured prominently in our choice of her schooling and where we live. At 14 years old, she moves seamlessly between just about any type group of people. Maybe because of how and where we live, her exposure to bigotry and racism has been very limited. We talk about race issues as they come up and I do worry about what judgments will be made only on the basis of how she looks. I've tried at once to shelter her while still letting her know there may be a reality out there that is different than the world we have created within which we roam.
#87 of 168 Old 02-21-2008, 12:11 PM

Wow, I'm so surprised, but happy to see this forum. It's been a long time in the coming.

I only pop in and out of MDC, in general, but I'll still introduce myself here. I'm Tia, mama to 3 girls, ages 5, 4 and 2 months. I identify myself as Black American -- my mother was Black and my father was Penobscot and Ramapough (which is a mix in itself). My husband is White American of Ukrainian and Slovak descent. We've been married for 8 years.

We live in a diverse area, however, it is not always fully embracing of other cultures and we still get stares from time to time. Our families are used to us, but we are still "different", not so much because of race but more because we're odd ducks who do things a little different than what's norm around here.

Right now, my cultural struggle is church/religion related since I'm the only Black person, or POC in our church and it stinks. The people are nice, but I wish there were another brown face to see, if anyone knows what I mean. We're at this church for the long haul, so I need to find ways to deal with this, rather than being negative about it.

Sorry for the novel!
#88 of 168 Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 AM

Hi! I'm so excited to see this forum!!!! MDC rocks!
Okay, I'm Judi (german, english, scottish, native, and everything in between), married to one great guy!!! (american black- self described, west indies, native, irish). Together we have 3 beautiful children- Erma 4 1/2, Elora almost 3, and Elmotie 13 months. We live in the midwest. We do our best to expose our children to all different kinds of cultures, races, lifestyles.

I am semi-crunchy, AP and my husband is pretty mainstream: He tries, but... He says its a cultural thing. All of the people in his family are VERY mainstream , and they give us a hard time. We live in a very predominantly white area, and it's hard for us to meet other families who are similar to us with children. It seems like most of the people around here with biracial children are older, a lot younger, or just not friendly

I look forward to talking with all of you and getting/giving some great ideas, advice, support, and comfort.
#89 of 168 Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 AM

Yay! a multicultural forum!
ok.. so I'm half Somali (my mother) and half Yemeni (my father). H is white (a mix of German, Irish, and a dash of native american). I believe dd is a perfect mix of the both of us.
I'm trying really hard to speak Urdu(I grew up in Pakistan) and Somali with her but I get lazy most of the time . especially since I'm so fluent in English and have been here so long.. excuses, excuses.
anyway, I'm glad to have this forum for reinforcement.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
#90 of 168 Old 02-23-2008, 05:41 AM

Wow, I totally missed this forum.

I'm mostly Irish-American (with a little New Jersey Dutchy) and DH is mostly Chinese-Canadian (with a little Philipino.) DH is supposed to be teaching DS some Cantonese, but has been extremely lazy about it. For some annoying reason all the Chinese for children stuff is in Mandarin or Hunan.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page