How Exciting!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Get the word out everyone...the multicultural forum is here! Hmmm...all this time to think of what I would want to discuss, and now I am just too excited to think of anything else to write! Thanks MDC. Its needed for sure.

Here's my introduction: I am a mom to a beautiful and hilarious 19 mo boy with the craziest hair in the world I think. More about our hair issues later. My dh is Jamaican, completely Americanized (raised among black and white cultures equally) except for the citizenship part, which he is working on. And, I am white (Italian/Irish background). We both come from wonderfully different families and have a diverse group of friends who will hopefully all be an important part of ds' upbringing.

Anyone else in southeastern PA, south jersey, or delaware?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2008, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have totally got you beat on the hair!!!
Seriously, I just dont know what to do with our DS full head.....it is straight, curly, matted, stringy, you name it!
DH is going to dread it when he is 2 or 3, but until then whew, do we get the comments!
I will have to try and post a pic, especially of the back, it's crazy!
Old 02-11-2008, 03:26 AM

Aww, try simple braids until you do something permanent like locking it. And most definitely look for a shop that can do ethnic hair and get some advice/good products. I always thought the toughest part was the hair for mamas not used to it. Good to see you all but no, I'm not in that area. I'm in CA.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:27 AM

You can add my kids to the crazy hair club too! It's so hard to keep tangle free, especially DD.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:35 AM

Truly seek out some experts in the fields in your local areas who can give you a simple run down. It is actually not that hard it just is done differently. Like combing and detangling is done when wet, not dry and the shampooing is different as well. It makes a huge difference in how easy it is to maintain if it is properly moisterized and cared for.

Ange. Mama to boys. Yup. All Boys. All Intact. A bunch of other NFL, crunchy credentials too.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:47 AM

OMG! I actually figured that one out on my own- that detangling is done while wet! What a difference, so much easier on DD! Her hair is now reaching a point where it could be braided, but not quite as it is uneven. I think we should start a "hair" thread too!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 AM

i'm not part of a multicultural family unless being married to a born-and-raised German counts but i just wanted to say HUZZAH--there's finally a multicultural forum!! :

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Hi again!!

As I've said in the tribe thread, my kids are 5 and almost 4. They are Irish/Scottish/"French Canadian"/Native American (2 seperate tribes)/German/Black. (Basically white and black though )

I'm due in May with #3

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 02-11-2008, 11:39 PM

I am so impressed with y'all. I found this site because I was looking for help for my daughter-in-law! I know that has to sound pretty pushy...but my very Anglican son is married to a wonderful Chinese woman and they are expecting their first child in May. Of course, we are thrilled for them, but I know there could be some cultural issues for this baby. Since my daugher-in-law is not especially proficient in English, I am trying to scout out resources for her. I have really enjoyed reading this site. Thank you so much for your insight.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Ooh yay, how fun! Quick intro: I'm a good ol' American mutt, married to my South American hubby, raising our 19-month old in espanol, English, and ASL. MY MIL lived with us for a year, and I *really* could have used this forum then! But I look forward to talking to y'all as DD grows and I get lots more questions.

Alox, we have a great set of touch-and-feel flashcards that have big pictures and the word/pronunciation in English, French, Spanish, and Chinese. I can't find them online right now, but I'll see if I can look them up and post a link for you. My DD loves them!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 02-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Definitely detangle when wet and you may want to consider Frank juice from Oyin (oyinhandmade.com) its a conditioner that you can leave on and works great for detangling. I use it on my locs as well as my dd's hair which is curly.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:11 PM

Alox, here is a link for those flash cards I had mentioned that has English and Chinese on them. Hope your DIL and grandchild enjoy them!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey!

Wow!

They slipped this in when I waslooking the other way! Very cool.

I'm spreading the word in my signature!
Old 02-29-2008, 05:27 PM

oh, yay! it happened! I am so glad this space has been created

woot!

User Tag List