Hair Help - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Which oyin products are too heavy for your kids?

it seems to me that they cover a wide spectrum. I (white, straight/wavy/collicky hair) use the conditioner and the pommade myself, and the greg juice is really light. But the burnt sugar only really works for my daughter with the coursest hair and my husband.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2008, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree with you on the oyin products you mentioned, but I can't even get to many spritzes of the greg juice towards the front of ds' hair or it gets a greasy look and feel to it. But its much safer to use than anything else, because if the burnt sugar pomade touched his hair up front, forget it. We'd have to wash again. I also love the conditioner.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 PM

My daughter is AA, not biracial, but we have had great success with products from Cornrows and Co. They have a website.

For beads/barrettes/snaps, I just found a great new website called Snapaholics.com. Haven't bought from them yet, but it looks good.

And we only wash hair once a week.....

L.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:24 PM

ALL of the stuff in the Oyin hair sample kit were way too heavy for my dd's hair. Even the conditioner (thoroughly rinsed out) left a greasy residue. When I sprayed her hair with the greg juice it makes her hair matted and tangly and it left my hands feeling dried out from scrunching her hair.

The Curly Q's don't really smell that string, you could try the baby line though.
Its not as all natural as I would like but its way better than the typical hair products I use and it works a lot better for her than Oyin. I really really wanted to like the Oyin stuff too b/c its more all natural but I wouldn't buy it again.

Mom of 3 sons and one daughter
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 PM

Hey everyone! I found a great book at the library yesterday...just happened to see it sitting on the shelf and thought of a few of you ladies on here with daughters and hair issues...Its called, "I love my hair" Check it out!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 03-06-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv View Post
first, you know to only shampoo once a week right? then try organic root stimulator carrot oil. use it as a leave in conditioner. you can get it online at texas beauty supply. anyway, after shampooing her hair rinse but dont towel dry, add generous amounts of carrot oil, partition her head in to 4 or 5 sections, doing one section at a time just twist with two strands of hair. let air dry. if she cant sit still for this long then try three braids, till she gets used to the ritual, add additional braids each time you redo her hair.

you can use the carrot oil as a leave in conditioner when ever you comb her hair. combing hair can be such a nuturing ritual between mothers and daughters. i hope this makes sense.
This advice is PERFECT. I'd add a couple of other things.
* I saw that you're in Buffalo so you should be able to go to a black hair care salon and get some products...and advice if you need it. Most of it is natural. Avoid stuff for chemically straightened hair b/c that tends to have more products that necessary.
* You basically want a cream-based leave in product. I've even used Keri Lotion in my own hair as a pinch.
* After shampooing and conditioning in the shower, don't let her hair get too dry before lathering on the hair cream. Following AJV's advice about partitioning her hair into sections, don't let the uncreamed sections get too dry before you get to them...you could twist them up or do one fat braid until you get to them.
* Don't use a comb or pick at first - until she gets used to it - b/c the pulling might hurt her and make her not want to sit through it. Put the cream through her hair and work it through with your fingers.
* Untangle the curls from the bottom and work your way up...NOT the other way around. LOL And, put cream on your fingers as you do this to make it easier.
* Totally agree with AJV about making this a special mom/daughter time. I remember sitting between my mom's legs while she did my hair and that's when we would talk/laugh/sing/share secrets.

HTH
Old 03-06-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
Hello,
I am not very well experienced in curls as I have super straight hair but I've read in various books and articles that dry hair and skin could be a symptom of omega-3/essential fatty acids deficiency. So maybe you'd want to look into that as well?
HTH
I know Grumpy Bear is trying to be helpful but I would caution the OP on this kind of suggestion. I highly doubt there is any actual deficiency. We just have curly hair and curly hair tends to be more porous and therefore more dry. I would just worry about letting the little ones think there is something wrong or deficient with them or their hair. Hair, in the black community - and often more so with mixed kids - is one of those things that can really affect some kids' (and later, women's) self-esteem.

Black/mixed hair is not something to be "dealt" with and shouldn't be dreaded (ha ha - no pun intended). Yes, it can be difficult to learn how to work black hair especially if that's not the kind of hair you have. For example, I'm just used to my hair and I know how to take care of it and I'm efficient at it. I couldn't IMAGINE trying to work straight hair or going through what some of my white friends do with their hair on a daily basis. It's just a matter of getting the hang of it and help her to love her hair. You're doing great so far asking for help and you're getting good advice.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:27 PM

I use almond oil on my biracial toddler's hair, and it works pretty well.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm trying to find the right product(s) to use with my DS's hair.
He's 2.5yo and "full" AA (for lack of a better term - both of his bio parents identify as AA.) His hair is very course and we keep it short, but also want to keep it well moisturized.
I've not been happy with most of the products I've tried from mainstream stores. The smell of Just For Me was waaaaay to girl-y and strong. The Africa's Best Organics line for kids was less strong smelling, but didn't really work that well for DS. Also, it seems that the "Organic" lines I've found don't actually contain organically grown ingredients and have a lot of petroleum-based products and other yicky stuff. (Makes me wonder how they can be called "organic"?)
Along those lines, we have been using Kaza's Indian Hemp product. It's first ingredient is petroleum and the second is parafin wax. I really liked it for the first jar, but into the second I'm finding that DS's hair is really waxy and not as soft. No change in washing (1-3x/week). The barber suggested Organic Root's Olive Oil, but looking at the ingredients I have the same questions about the "organic" name.

Which brings me to...
1. Homemade hair treatments...
I've heard about people using Coconut oil, olive oil or other "cooking" oils - do you just use stuff you find in the cooking section of whole foods? For coconut oil - refined or unrefined? I saw a coconut oil designed for hair and skin, but it said t heat it first - that seems like too many steps, too far away from where we're combing hair... how much oil? I have used shea butter, but found it hard to work with and DS's hair and everything he touched were oily.
Any other suggestions of stuff I can make at home with ingredients I like better than the off-the-shelf products?
2. I saw a line in a natural store called Jane Carter Solution. Any experience with this line? I'm also interested in the Olin products that have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm an instant gratification kinda gal and prefer to purchase locally and try out my haul right away.
3. Any shampoo suggestions? I've been using CA Baby, which I like, but might not be the best for DS's hair.

Thanks so much!!!
- Cyndi
Old 03-07-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndimo View Post
I'm trying to find the right product(s) to use with my DS's hair.
He's 2.5yo and "full" AA (for lack of a better term - both of his bio parents identify as AA.) His hair is very course and we keep it short, but also want to keep it well moisturized.
I've not been happy with most of the products I've tried from mainstream stores. The smell of Just For Me was waaaaay to girl-y and strong. The Africa's Best Organics line for kids was less strong smelling, but didn't really work that well for DS. Also, it seems that the "Organic" lines I've found don't actually contain organically grown ingredients and have a lot of petroleum-based products and other yicky stuff. (Makes me wonder how they can be called "organic"?)
Along those lines, we have been using Kaza's Indian Hemp product. It's first ingredient is petroleum and the second is parafin wax. I really liked it for the first jar, but into the second I'm finding that DS's hair is really waxy and not as soft. No change in washing (1-3x/week). The barber suggested Organic Root's Olive Oil, but looking at the ingredients I have the same questions about the "organic" name.

Which brings me to...
1. Homemade hair treatments...
I've heard about people using Coconut oil, olive oil or other "cooking" oils - do you just use stuff you find in the cooking section of whole foods? For coconut oil - refined or unrefined? I saw a coconut oil designed for hair and skin, but it said t heat it first - that seems like too many steps, too far away from where we're combing hair... how much oil? I have used shea butter, but found it hard to work with and DS's hair and everything he touched were oily.
Any other suggestions of stuff I can make at home with ingredients I like better than the off-the-shelf products?
2. I saw a line in a natural store called Jane Carter Solution. Any experience with this line? I'm also interested in the Olin products that have been mentioned in this thread, but I'm an instant gratification kinda gal and prefer to purchase locally and try out my haul right away.
3. Any shampoo suggestions? I've been using CA Baby, which I like, but might not be the best for DS's hair.

Thanks so much!!!
- Cyndi
I use coconut oil straight from the jar on my hair. It melts very quickly, so I take a glob, run it in my palms and apply it, lightly to my hair. If my hair is extra dry, I will use olive oil. I sometimes use shea butter but only after melting it over heat. If I have extra time, I might make a mixture by melting any of the above, put drop of bergamont oil in and use it once or twice a week.

I would suggest trying oyinhandmade products. I know you like instant gratification but their stuff is so worth the wait.

afro.jpg
Old 03-08-2008, 02:31 AM

I'm curious as to why noone has mentioned Mixed Chicks products. We use their whole hair line- shampoo once a week, deep conditioner that rinses out, then a leave-in conditioner on both of my daughters. For everyday fixing, I get their hair damp, then spray with Soft&Precious detangling spray. I comb it, then put in the Mixed Chicks leave-in, then fix it. We get so many compliments on their hair. Also, on weeks where we have a lot going on, I will braid my oldest dd's hair and leave it all week so we don't have to fix it every morning. DD1's hair is coarser, with a tighter curl. It holds braids and everything really nicely. DD2's hair is super fine with big, fat ringlets. Her hair was actually straight until she was 1. DS's hair is very close to my oldest.

Just thought I would mention these products, since I haven't seen them mentioned. Also, when my children were younger, and for my son we used the Soft&Precious hairdress.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3ejs View Post
I'm curious as to why noone has mentioned Mixed Chicks products.
I just tried googling it but their website didn't work. Where do you buy it? What are the ingredients like?
Old 03-08-2008, 06:23 PM

not sure if I can help because dd's hair is very fine (like her dad's who is white) and I'm multiracial (so my hair's texture is thick, curly, soft) BUT our hair get tangled really easily.

What has worked for us is putting olive oil before we wash our hair. Then in the shower, I use shampoo plus conditioner and brush it out with a wide toothed comb.

I don't like leaving oil in either of our hair because I like the dry, non-greasy look.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
Old 03-08-2008, 07:01 PM

mixed checks is mixedchicks.net I think. I haven't tried it on dd yet b/c I didn't see on their site a list of exact ingrediants.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM

I use the Curly Q conditioner and milkshake on DD's hair and really love it. Another one I've thought about getting (but haven't yet, kind of if it's not broken don't fix it philosophy) is the Blended Cutie line. I think they're a bit more "organic" than Curly Q, but still, it seems like that's not saying much.

And yeah, it's interesting how different hair types take to different products. The stuff from Curly Q is great for DD, but doesn't do anything for DS. Her hair is fine and spiral curly on top, and very frizzy and tangly on the bottom. DS's hair is thicker and overall a bit coarser, but we've never had tangles and he gets big curls that people can't keep their hands out of, but when cut short it looks straight. On DD, I can apply LIBERAL amounts of olive oil--like fill the palm of my hand amounts, if wash it and don't apply anything else. With DS, if I just rub some on my hands and rub my hands through his hair, he looks like a little greaseball. Sooo, other than some gel now and then for him, that's it. DD gets ALL the hair attention--good thing she's a girl!
Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 AM

The fomula is basic but essential...

Condition, condition, condition.

Shampoo only once per week, but condition every day.

It's really too bad that they don't make Unicure Conditioner anymore. That stuff was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:27 AM

Just to let anyone know that may be interested, I got an email from Curls.biz and you can get 30% off with promo code "curlsbday" now through 4/11/08 at midnight.

Remember if you order through them you can type in 3 free samples you would like to try in the comments section!

Old 04-02-2008, 12:43 AM

Oooh, thanks! I think I will try some now!
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM

Hi, Mamas-
There's a good website (that has a forum) called Naturally Curly that you can go to.
I believe they have a section just for children's hair.
: )

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM

Hi there,
As an AA mom with loose kinky curls, try Carol's Daughter products. They're for AA/Bi-racial hair, all natural and work great. Don't worry about braids at this age, she'll never have patience. Just use the products, let it dry naturally or put it in a loose ponytail and go. HTH.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:04 PM

I just happened onto this thread and wanted to add that as a multi-ethnic person with long curly hair, I've found that Dominican stylists/hair products work wonders on my hair. The stylists are adept at straightening even super-thick hair without chemicals (not that you'd want to straighten your little girl's hair at this age) and the products keep my hair moisturized better than anything else. When I was in the DR & then NY I used Sedal products, and now that I am in VA I have my family in NY bring it down when they come and use Just for me in between. (like, a jar every other day---my hair just sucks it up.) HTH!!!! Btw, sedal stuff is available online also....I just don't want to pay that much for it lol. (about $7 a bottle)

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

Old 04-30-2008, 11:22 AM

I'm just bumping this since someone else recently had hair questions for their DC.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMama2008 View Post
Hi there,
As an AA mom with loose kinky curls, try Carol's Daughter products. They're for AA/Bi-racial hair, all natural and work great. Don't worry about braids at this age, she'll never have patience. Just use the products, let it dry naturally or put it in a loose ponytail and go. HTH.
I second Carol's Daughter. I use her Hair Milk on my biracial dd and it makes her curls shine w/out leaving her hair greasy or heavy.

FYI - they have free shipping right now for Mother's Day!

Baking,, Chuck Taylor Wearing, , SAHMom of 2.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM

What exact products would you recommend from Carol's Daughter?

My dd is biracial, her curls are very loose though, similar to this little girl (a random pic I found while googling hair stuff):
http://www.biracialhaircaretips.com/...re-manageable/

Old 06-09-2008, 11:59 PM

I'm biracial and after relaxing for a while in my teens (social pressure to look "normal"! ) I went back to natural a few years years ago and never looked back!
I use pure (sometimes organic) Shea butter on my hair after no-poo washing and sometimes a vitamin/protein rinse. The shea butter is AMAZING and smells so wonderful. It is not greasy or oily and leaves my hair soft and shiny. You can find shea butter at lots of natural food stores, and if you get the pure stuff you can use it on your skin, baby's skin and it's great.
Africans have been using shea butter forever on their hair, and I figure they must know what they're doing!
I also spritz my hair with water (this helps with any dryness, African/bi-racial hair NEEDS moisture and loves water). Every now and then, I will do a hot organic olive oil treatment (hot oil on hair and scalp, with shower cap on for a few minutes) and then rinse out very well with conditioner.

My biracial hair loves water, shea butter, no-poo, and being chemical free the way it's meant to be!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 06-10-2008, 09:57 AM

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM

We've also had good luck with this:
http://oyinhandmade.com/oyin/index.p...&products_id=3
which is mostly shea butter and smells amazing.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 PM

My mexican/AA DSC are in town and I'm really interested in making DSD-6's hair look awesome (because it really is). DSS-8's hair is short enough where it's really no muss, no fuss, but lately, DSD-6's been saying her hair is like a "buffalo." Where else to come but here. I'm also hoping to learn the techniques to make me good at DD's (Caucasian/AA) hair once I have to start doing it regularly. I used to do DSD-6's hair regularly, but was never very good at it. I'm white with stickstraight hair and no hairabilities... I'm glad to have found this thread. DP knows alot about hair, but his methods seems to be a little too much for his mixed daughters' hair. (he tried many methods of hair doing on DSD-17's hair). There are some pictures of them in my siggy.

I'm just going no-poo myself and hoping to find a similar method for the girls. For them, I'm hoping to go conditioner only, with an occassional bs/conditioner wash thrown in. But would I only do the conditioner a few times a week? Do it everyday? Do the bs/conditioner once a week/every few weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajv View Post
i dont mean to be critical but i think the triracial mom with the beautiful daughter is trying to control her daughters head/hair ALL AT ONCE. really you have to partition her head. so if you can section off (not even with straight parts) one fifth of her hair, then then pin the rest back, comb and moisturize the 1/5 only. put hte one fifth only in a braid--no rubber bands, dont worry if it comes apart at nite. then move to the next 1/5, then the next 1/5. okay i kno her hair dries quick, but do all of this while it is wet even if you have to squirt her hair with a water bottle. do this on a weekend, while she is watching her favorite dvd (something she has seen before so she can put her head down if necessary).

having thick curly hair is very high maintenance, but such a blessing, make sure you are communicating the latter, she will be stronger if you love her hair.

hope this makes sense.
Ahh divide the work into pieces. Funny how something so common sense seems so elusive in real practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajira View Post
very good advice has been given in this thread

here are my tips, moisture, moisture, moisture!!
After washing oil will lock in the moisture it's soo important to do that, to get that product on the hair asap while damp, section and comb while damp also.

Oyin, Carol's Daughter and a bunch of others all make great products (I should know I try everything I'm a product junkie) but some of the best products can be found in your kitchen/bathroom castor oil, olive oil, apple cider vinegar etc

Be willing to change products!! if you try something and it's not working move on.

Also it's important to use clarifying shampoos to get rid of the product off of the hair so it's able to accept the moisture, not everytime you wash but it needs to be added to the rotation during the month.

NO rubber bands!! Add something like these barretts are better, there are much smaller ones that you can use at the ends of hair, I find them generally at the flea market and latino markets

Cotton strips moisture out of hair, using an old play silk or a satin pillow case/bonnet for older kids will help

Oh yeah accept the frizz, it's normal after a couple of days the best you can do is refresh it with a bit of moisturizer of your choice and covering at night will help.

hope that helps
A satin pillow case sounds like a great idea. Except, DSD-6 always ends up far from her pillow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
I'm biracial and after relaxing for a while in my teens (social pressure to look "normal"! ) I went back to natural a few years years ago and never looked back!
I use pure (sometimes organic) Shea butter on my hair after no-poo washing and sometimes a vitamin/protein rinse. The shea butter is AMAZING and smells so wonderful. It is not greasy or oily and leaves my hair soft and shiny. You can find shea butter at lots of natural food stores, and if you get the pure stuff you can use it on your skin, baby's skin and it's great.
Africans have been using shea butter forever on their hair, and I figure they must know what they're doing!
I also spritz my hair with water (this helps with any dryness, African/bi-racial hair NEEDS moisture and loves water). Every now and then, I will do a hot organic olive oil treatment (hot oil on hair and scalp, with shower cap on for a few minutes) and then rinse out very well with conditioner.

My biracial hair loves water, shea butter, no-poo, and being chemical free the way it's meant to be!
DO you mind sharing your no-poo shea butter routine?

Thanks so much mommas! Looking forward to learning more!

signature currently in transition
Old 07-13-2008, 09:56 PM

hi ladies!

as a hopeful future adoptive mama i really love reading all these hair tips! they're so helpful so someone with no experience with black hair. i'm white and have typical relatively straight tangle free white hair, well now anyway. as a kid it was very wavy and would knot up like crazy...well for a white kid anyway, it certainly didn't dread, much to my annoyance. i really wanted dreads as a teenager. in any case i recently learned how to cornrow, and i've wanted cornrows myself for quite some time. i'll got get it done eventually, but since all you mamas are experienced with this stuff i wanted to ask you if any of you have ever cornrowed your own hair? is that even possible? i've done little braids all over my head before (the ones you typically see white people with when they come back from a Caribbean vacation) and didn't find that hard to do myself, but cornrows are obviously more difficult. is this an impossible task, especially with my slippery hair?

by the way, i also wanted to say that i get immensely jealous every time i see a black woman with amazing cornrows and braids. i know it's a lot of work and can be a source of anxiety (among other things) in the black community, but your hair is just so gorgeous, and something to be proud of.

User Tag List