Tell me about your weddings/committment ceremonies! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had a fairly conventional Episcopal wedding in terms of the ceremony (DH's preference—he's rather committed to the Church), but I basically organized all the other details to dovetail with my (Mexican Catholic) family traditions: I wore a white dress with my grandmother's mantilla blonda (a kind of lace veil) and a big Spanish peineta. The ceremony—out in a big New Mexico field—included the lasso and arras (lasso and coins) that my grandmother, aunts and uncles, and all my cousins have used in their weddings.

The music was by played by, get this, "El Trio Jalapeño", who were pretty good (!) -- mostly typical Catholic stuff during the ceremony and then lively norteño music during the reception. Unfortunately, we did not rehearse any dance for this so we looked pretty dorky out there--esp. because dh does NOT dance. Like, AT ALL. Also, it turned out that the accordian player was some kind of "living legend" of Hispano music-- she was a little funny--during dinner she was eating chile serranos off our plants.

The sun was setting over the mesa to the west, and we had luminarias lining all the walkways around the property, and everyone was drinking serious margaritas. I loved every minute of it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 35 Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 AM

raising my two sunshine children.

#33 of 35 Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM

I'm Catholic, DH is Jewish and we had a blended ceremony.

We found a reconstructionist rabbi who performs interfaith weddings, and had the ceremony officiated by both she (the rabbi) and the deacon from my childhood parish. I had to get "special dispensation" from the Catholic church which was just filing a bunch of paperwork, which the deacon took care of because he was excited to do his first interfaith ceremony. For some reason that was never fully explained to us, the Catholic church took the position that although the ceremony did not need to be in the Church, it had to take place indoors. The huppah didn't count, although I really tried to push that one because I would have preferred an outdoor wedding. However, we found "neutral ground" at a beautiful function hall (a renovated georgian mansion) that was ironically owned and operated by the Greek Orthodox Church.

The ceremony took in elements from both religious traditions. My mother was thrilled about the jewish tradition of both sets of parents walking their respective child to the altar. We had the candle rite, the explanation of the huppah, the blessing of the rings, the seven blessings, readings from old and new testament, and the breaking of the glass. It was beautiful, and my DH and I joke about being "doubly" married in two religions, and "triply" if you count the Gr. Orth. hall.
#34 of 35 Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM

We had a 'traditional" nikkah (Arabic marriage ceremony... basically signing of the marriage contract) at the mosque.

My parents were sort of mortified that we basically eloped with no party (my Mom and Dad are all about the party), so threw us a celebration about 10 months later. We had at a hotel in St. Augustine, FL which sort of has this Spanish Moorish look...which was about as close to Egyptian as I could do. We did both traditional Continental cuisine as well as more Middle Eastern inspired.

I had plans for how to integrate things but in the end I couldn't justify the cash. I guess that's one of the problems of being married in my 30s, I had grown too practical.

I just got a really great Persian cookbook called "New Food of Life" and in it, Najmieh describes the wedding feast/traditions... as well as some cool stuff around babies and breastfeeding. (Special post-partum food.)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#35 of 35 Old 05-24-2008, 02:56 AM

Sophie, wife to DH, AP mama to DD1 (12/07) and DD2 (04/10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page