3 passports? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-15-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi!
i'm wondering if this is possible...my partner is english, so we want that one for indi, who is mexican and to travel will have a mex one. i'm argentinian and my son can go and work there that's the one he needs the less, but still i would like to know...anyone has experience?
thanks
#2 of 13 Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Sure, if each of those countries allows joint citizenship with every other country.

It's not that the stay-at-home-parent gets to stay home with the kids. The kids get to stay home with a parent. Lucky Mom to DD1 (4 y) and DD2 (18 mo), Wife to Mercenary Dad
#3 of 13 Old 03-16-2008, 03:28 AM

For what it's worth my fil had (has I think but not 100% sure he has bothered keeping his pass current) dual English/Norwegian. When he asked the people when he got his English pass about it they said and I quote "Do you have to tell them?" (meaning Norway). Both my kids and my husband have two passports each. It makes traveling a pretty heavy affair. I suffer from passport envy.

I would personally be a little worried about monkeying around with my citizenship but it's true that countries rarely communicate about these things.

SAHM, Geek, Expat American living in Oslo Norway.
DH DS1(5) DS2(2)
#4 of 13 Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Yup my kids will have 2 passports and so will I when I'm finally done with DHS, my dh could but never has
#5 of 13 Old 03-16-2008, 03:39 PM

It depends on the countries and it depends if they allow it. My daughter is an American and Russian citizenship for instance. Countries tend to allow it if it's by birth. If it's for marriage it seems you normally have to give up your original citizenship. Or at least I've often seen that happen. I mean, if you want to become a citizen of your partners country.

Though my sister in-law is a citizen of UAE and they do not allow dual citizenship and if she were to have another one she would have to give up this one. But they are picky about the citizenship here... she can also lose it if she decides to marry a non-Muslim in the future as well.

I'm kind of confused by what you said. So, you have Argentinian citizenship, your partner is a British citizen and your daughter is a Mexican citizen? Wait, how did this happen! I'm so confused!

loveeyes.gif Mama to a lively DD (10/05) energy.gifand DS (06/23) babyboy.gif!

#6 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

[
I'm kind of confused by what you said. So, you have Argentinian citizenship, your partner is a British citizen and your daughter is a Mexican citizen? Wait, how did this happen! I'm so confused! [/QUOTE]

yes, that. we met in greece and indi was made/born in mexico. we really like to travel
#7 of 13 Old 03-17-2008, 12:24 PM
MCR

Many countries allow dual nationality, our whole family has two passports each.
Thats 10 passports in my safe box. It gets expensive to keep them all current.
#8 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 04:45 AM

My daughter and I have dual citizenship and may soon have 3 passports. I've never had any problems traveling, but I'm also a bit careful about whom I show my passport to. I know that in some places people get nervous when you show them two passports, and they may not believe that it's possible to have dual citizenship. But as long as your countries allow dual or multiple citizenship, I don't think there should be a problem. For what it's worth, there is not a single official swiss document that records my other citizenship- they simply allow it, and don't seem to care about it at all.
#9 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Many countries allow dual nationality, our whole family has two passports each.
Thats 10 passports in my safe box. It gets expensive to keep them all current.

I'll second that! it sure does get expensive to keep two current passports for each family member. I used to travel on my US passport, DH on his AUssie one, & the kids had both. This year we are only travelling on our Australian passports, as I now have Aus citizenship as well- I'm hoping that doesn't cause any problems when we go to the US, I'm thinking we'll just enter the country as Australians this time.....

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#10 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 05:52 PM

My oldest ds has Filipino, Dutch and American citizenship. DH and ds2 are dual Filipino/Dutch. I'm the only one in our family with only one measly passport
You should check if the countries allow dual citizenship.

mama to my August boys ('03 & '06) trying to figure out what to do after 5 losses
#11 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 07:29 PM

I would check about how to go about gaining dual citizenship. You don't want to do anything shady that may come back to haunt you later down the path...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#12 of 13 Old 03-18-2008, 11:31 PM

You need to find out if all three countries tolerate multiple citizenships. They need not promote it, tolerance is sufficient. I know that GB does (you mentioned English) and have heard that Mexiko does, too. You could get in touch with the Argentinian consulate or embassy and ask about "multiple citizenship per birth". Actually, I would just apply for a passport for the child - if it doesn't have the right the passport will be denied (and sometimes when the person DOES have the right). Make sure not to say "aquire citizenship" because that sounds like a naturalization process which falls under completely different laws. Be prepared for incorrect information! Even at embassies, I have received completely wrong information.

Again, you are not applying for your children's citizenship or "gaining" citizenship. This is something they have a right to per birth, you are just doing the correct paperwork.

BTW, I would never dare decide which citizenship is more or less important. It will be up to my child to decide this. It is my duty as a parent to take care of my child's business and not to judge.
#13 of 13 Old 03-19-2008, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

well, of course he will decide for himself which nationality he identifies more with, but he will need the mexican passport when we leave mexico, the british one is good all over europe and, because he's my son, he could live and work without problems in argentina, regardless of having the passport or not, he can just have a dni(identity national document)
i think two passports is enough for now!
thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page