American passports......AAAARRRRGGHHH!!!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 06-14-2008, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i took all the passport photos and when they were babies I just laid them down flat on a beige carpet and it was fine.

in Japan we have to appear in person for renewals because of international kidnapping fears... a few years ago we could renew by mail, but now we must appear in person... both mother, father and child.... on a week day.. rather expensive to travel to the consulate and troublesome....

my husband keeps questioning the need for 2 passports, but I think having both is security for both of us.... and also probably necessary for entering and returning to either country.

It's kind of a drag being a double culture family. Not as "cool" as everyone thinks....
#32 of 38 Old 06-15-2008, 11:00 AM

Aussiemom,

I'm so sorry about all the hassle you're going through. And to have it be topped off by internet fraud is just not fair! I'm so sorry.

I so understand your passport drama. You make me realize that I'm fortunate that I live in Rome and the US embassy is right here. I am sorry that you have to spend so much to comply with US rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelEve14 View Post
Be very careful trying to get a child into the US without a US passport. I know someone who tried to bring their kids in on the UK passports and they were refuesed entry since they are "potential" citizens (even though they weren't citizens at the time). Since they qualified for citizenship, they couldn't get in on a non US passport.

Here they went to an appointment system and it takes about 6 months for an appointment. I have to bring the baby at some point, but we aren't planning on traveling any time soon so I'm putting it off and hoping they work the kinks out of the appointment system soon
:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemum View Post
Well now that is interesting. My DH didn't have any dramas when he wanted to go the US with me as my spouse in 1997 & in 2001.

Are you all saying that if he were travelling on to the US (he's not, this time) from Europe, he might have trouble getting a temp. visa because he has the misfortune to be married to a dual citizen American?? If so, that's kinda of freaky to me...... Again, I do wonder why it is a benefit to have dual US nationality (other than voting & having absolute right to visit my parents immediately should they become seriously ill).....

(and thanks guys for the internet fraud sympathy, too, i'm still working all that out- will be doing the stat dec thing at the bank tomorrow, submitting police report #s, etc. Personally, I hate to having to deal with the police...)
I've never had any trouble when DH (Italian) has traveled to California with me. They even let him through the line with me since he is my husband, he didn't need to stand in the "Non US passport holders" line. But maybe the policy for Europeans is different for Russians???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
You have to have an interview to get a passport? Erm… why? Yeah, I'm confused now too!

We are going to the US in December and I am giving birth in September. So I think I just have to not apply for citizenship for the baby until after the trip, because that's not enough time to process all the BS to get baby a US passport. Getting a Danish one will be relatively straightforward.

And yeah, I'm jealous you can do dual too!
It's been said before, but it's worth repeating.
Anyone who has the right to be a US citizen (ie: the child of a US citizen) must enter the US with a US Passport.

Due to Italian Bureaucracy () I wasn't going to get DD's US passport in time, so I just thought I'd travel with her Italian Passport. Then I was informed that we would be turned away at the boarder. The mere thought of flying 15 hours, arriving exhausted, and then being told I had to trun around and go back was enough for me to do anything I needed to get the US passport in time. In the end, since I'd already purchased the tix the Wonderful folks at the Passport office issued me a temporary US "non citizen" passport that was good only for 3 months. By that time the single piece of paper that I needed from the Italians would be ready and I could complete DD's US "Report of birth abroad" and get her Real US passport.

Oh, and for the Photo, we put a white cloth on DD's bouncy seat and proped her up on that and then took a bunch of photos til we got one that was good enough. ("Eyes Open, Not Crying") There was a wee bit of shadow in the background, but no one said anything about it.

I could go on and Rant a bit too, but DD needs me now.

GOOD LUCK!!!

-- Miss 1928 -- and Opera Singing Mamma to Eloisa -- 12 Feb 2007
-- Wife to a Wonderful Husband and Pianist -- 27 March 2003
#33 of 38 Old 06-17-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
We went through this with all of our kids. They were all around one month when we got their first passports. Somebody later recommended to me that I put a white poster board on the ground, and lie DC on it. Worked much easier... and no worries about a little piece of my hand showing.
with ds1 (9 months old), the photographer put a white sheet behind him while he was sitting in a stroller, and took the photo that way.

With ds2 (3 months old), he laid a sheet on the floor, then photographed him lying on his back, photographer shooting the photo straight down.

Dead easy.

RE: dual... both my boys qualify for dual US/UK (actually, they are triads - US/UK/Ireland). We haven't bothered to get them UK or Irish passports, though ds1 is registered with the embassy. But I travel into the UK on my Irish Passport, DH on his British. Never had a problem so far, but then the US immigration is notorious for being more insane than most...

also, I know the rules for getting passports got A LOT more stringent after 9/11 (similarly to how the rules for driver's licenses got insane around here - our local DMV gave one of the hijackers his VA driver's license, which resulted in the DMV changing its rules where they wouldn't accept my marriage certificate because it was outside the US, but that is another thread for another time). Add on to that the biometric passport requirements... the backlog in the US of passport applications is only now clearing out.

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#34 of 38 Old 06-21-2008, 01:10 AM

We are a dual nationality family as well. We now live in the US, but we did live in England for several years. After my fist child was born in the UK, we took a family trip to the US to show off the baby to my family. He only had a British passport at that time, and the stateside entry and exit were uneventful. He didn't get a US passport until a couple of years later. We've done the same thing, as well as the opposite, several times now with different kids, and nothing has ever been mentioned.

Good luck!
#35 of 38 Old 06-21-2008, 02:14 AM

When you go through, do you all go through as a family? I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. DH only has a Danish passport and I only have a US passport. I have been told that technically we could go through the same line at the airport since we're married but we haven't had the chance since the wedding so it hasn't come up. Maybe the people who "get away with" not giving the kid a US passport are just having the kid go with the parent who has the matching passport, in a separate line?
#36 of 38 Old 06-21-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcyone View Post
When you go through, do you all go through as a family? I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. DH only has a Danish passport and I only have a US passport. I have been told that technically we could go through the same line at the airport since we're married but we haven't had the chance since the wedding so it hasn't come up. Maybe the people who "get away with" not giving the kid a US passport are just having the kid go with the parent who has the matching passport, in a separate line?
I hold a Philippine passport and whenever I enter the US with my husband, I go through the same line as DH does (DH is a US citizen).

If travelling alone though, I have to go through the alien line.
#37 of 38 Old 06-21-2008, 06:50 AM

Sorry if my question wasn't clear. I'm asking specifically about taking a child through. That is, if you and your DH go through together with a child vs. if the child + one parent go in one line and the other parent goes in another line.
#38 of 38 Old 06-26-2008, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know the answer to your question, Alcyone, but I can report back that two days ago the kids & I went through passport control in Washington DC with our freshly minted American passports, & it was an absolute breeze. Took five minutes, not counting baggage & customs stuff.

Believe it or not, every guard we have met has been rather nice- a bit formal of course, but nice.

London Heathrow airport, however, was an absolute nightmare. When they say get to the airport 3 hours before your international flight, they really do mean it. We spent the night on the floor of Terminal 3, & by the time we finished brushing our teeth at 5am & went to join the queue for section G, it was several hundred people long. For an 8am flight. I barely had time for a nasty coffee before we had to board the plane.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page