toddlers, presents and being away from folks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hiya

we live in france, we've family from elsewhere. when someone visits, they generally stay a few days and ds1 has come to expect presents.

i know part of it is being three. and we had xmas and then his birthday and he associates visiting with pressies. we met up with one friend who lives elsewhere in france and she didn't have a present for him and he wasn't terrible but she handled it beautifully .

we have at least one visitor coming soon who won't bring a present (she's broke and the train ticket to get up here will be a lot for her). she's not as used to toddlers and i don't want him to freak out or freak her out.

i have a stash of stuff to give him when needed (he got heaps of stuff at xmas but it has appeared gradually -- i also regifted him with a train set he got when he was 1 but was disappeared) but i'm trying to talk to him about the notion of presents being special...

i'll x-post this in the toddler forum, i'm not sure where it goes. i just figured that you mamas who live away from home might have some insights to this situation.

luxury problem, but hey. ds1 also expects to be given bread on the street by our neighbors because this happens frequently

User Tag List