are you in the racial minority in your neighborhood? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny81 View Post
I just moved to Savannah, GA, so yeah, I'm in the minority (I'm white). I think Savannah is something like 70% black, so it's a big difference coming from west Michigan where whites are the majority.

Honestly, I do see a lot of racism, especially when I'm being served by a black person in a business. Wal-Mart is probably the worst, which is why I don't go there unless I have to. But there is a lot of just general unfriendliness towards white people here that I didn't expect. And it must just be a Savannah thing, because when I go out to Statesboro (much more rural area), people are usually a lot nicer.

Oh well...2 more years and then hubby gets his degree and we are outta here!
So, is your dh Black or Latino or Asian, then?

Your perspective of Savannah is interesting. It's only around 57% black, but I guess if you're from an overwhelmingly white area it might feel differently. Dh and I have been warned about the city because of the attitude of whites there. I know that racism (against blacks) used to be aggressively horrific and I haven't heard that it's gotten any better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
"cans?" Canadians?
As is Mexicans. Nice, huh? I have also heard this used for Africans.

Canadians. I will have to use that one on them the next time. They will be dumbfounded.

I live in FL and for all its perceived diversity it is very much still the "good-old-boys" state.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Purplegirl - Somewhat. I worked with a few (white) people who were pretty racist. Whether or not they let their feelings come across while dealing with minority customers, I don't know. Of course, if you feel something strongly enough, those feelings are often hard to mask. But race is definitely more of an issue down here. Then again, what I perceive as racism (because I can honestly think of no other explanation for it) might be something else entirely. All I know is that I've come across more rude attitudes in my one year in Savannah than my whole life up in Michigan.

Missy - My husband is white, from a little hick town about an hour outside Savannah.

I haven't really gotten to know a whole lot of white people, but I have run across a couple that could really prove Savannah to be a racist white town. Maybe that's where some of the hostility that I feel comes from. There is a lot more racial tension down here than I'm used to.

Are you planning to visit or move here?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:59 AM

I visited Savannah very briefly with my parents when I was in high school, but that was around 25 years ago. It's just some place that has occasionally come up in conversation. There's an art college there, and my daughter is probably eventually going into art. And, the Dean of the School of Education of Hampton University, where I went to school, left HU to become president of a HBCU there. He was always very accessible at Hampton, so I was keeping that in mind in case we ever did end up in that area.

I would guess that what you are seeing is a defensive reaction to the racism I've heard about.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 AM

My daughter and a baby down the street are the only minorities in our neighborhood. Everyone else is white.

wild.gif  kickin' it old school
Old 04-24-2008, 03:05 AM

Wow, this discussion made me google my old dean. He resigned in 2006 and is now at Clark Atlanta. And I found a picture and he's hardly aged at all. :
Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
I visited Savannah very briefly with my parents when I was in high school, but that was around 25 years ago. It's just some place that has occasionally come up in conversation. There's an art college there, and my daughter is probably eventually going into art. And, the Dean of the School of Education of Hampton University, where I went to school, left HU to become president of a HBCU there. He was always very accessible at Hampton, so I was keeping that in mind in case we ever did end up in that area.

I would guess that what you are seeing is a defensive reaction to the racism I've heard about.
Yeah, that's what I was kinda thinking too. It's probably a "I'll get you before you get me" type of thing--very sad.

afro.jpg
Old 04-24-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbunny81 View Post
I just moved to Savannah, GA, so yeah, I'm in the minority (I'm white). I think Savannah is something like 70% black, so it's a big difference coming from west Michigan where whites are the majority.

Honestly, I do see a lot of racism, especially when I'm being served by a black person in a business. Wal-Mart is probably the worst, which is why I don't go there unless I have to. But there is a lot of just general unfriendliness towards white people here that I didn't expect. And it must just be a Savannah thing, because when I go out to Statesboro (much more rural area), people are usually a lot nicer.

Oh well...2 more years and then hubby gets his degree and we are outta here!
I think what you may be seeing is traces of the residue that rests in the south. Keep in mind, the South was a hotbed for slavery and there are still quite a few people who would love to see it reinstated. What you see -- not to excuse it at all -- is probably the residue of how those people of color feel about the climate of the South. It isn't necessarily that they live in that slavery-type racism everyday, it has been passed from generation to generation in terms of attitudes and feelings of prior generations to the present.

Is that clear? There has to be a better way of phrasing this. But it is like the conditioning we get. For instance, when I was leaving for college and going to the South, my grandparents were nervous for me. They figured I was too proud and didn't know how to humble myself in front of white folk. They were really worried, so we get that handed down from generation to generation is all I am saying...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 04-24-2008, 03:20 PM

Okay, all. This is a tricky one for me. I am considering a move. Out to the suburbs. I picked a fairly progressive one known for having a decent mix of folks. It is not wonderful, but it is fair.

I loved the home I saw there. I want somewhere that is safe and not to say that we are totally unsafe where we live, but I have become accustomed to gunshots fired in the evenings from the alley, for the past two nights it seems to start shortly after my dd and I come in from playing in the backyard. That is scary to me. I have become conditioned and used to it, but there is something wrong with this.

My block is nice and a good community, however, I cannot speak for the caliber of folk around the block and that really worries me to say the least.

It makes me kind of sad that I am considering giving up on my city... :

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Just curious-- are you in the racial minority in your neighborhood (regardless of what your race is)? I live in a mostly black and Hispanic neighborhood and I am white. My children (most of whom look white) go to a mostly black school.

I am used to it by now in that I no longer feel like an outsider, and actually I feel uncomfortable in mostly white neighborhoods by this point (the neighborhoods here are pretty segregated). I also know my family wouldn't be welcome in those white neighborhoods which I think adds to my discomfort.

I just find it interesting that I have encountered little or no racism against me, here. I'm pretty sure if it were the reverse (being one of the only black women in a white neighborhood), I most likely would have encountered some problems.

i am white, and used to live in a predominantly black neighborhood with my baby's father. unfortunately, i always did feel like an outsider, and did experience problems from people around me. People would either come up to me(at gas stations, etc) thinking i was there to buy drugs, or just gave me dirty looks in general. I know there are other black neighborhoods down here that are more accepting though; i usually don't have a problem in my SIL's neighborhood, for instance; no one gives me a second look. I'm still not quite sure why that particular neighborhood was like that-- maybe because it was a really small section of the city? whereas my SIL's neighborhood is a lot larger.

I will probably end up raising my daughter in an ethnic neighborhood, where her fathers side of the family lives-- there's a lot of cousins, etc that i would like for her to be close to-- my side of the family has no cousins her age, or anyone (besides my immediate family) who really takes an interest in any of the family but their own. It's strange, because i am extremely close to my immediate family (mom and sisters)-- family is a huge value for us. But outside of them, none of our extended family really ever talks to eachother-- even though we all live within 20 minutes of eachother. My uncles for instance have only even seen my 4mo old baby *twice* since she was born, and didn't even want to hold her.

my lease is up where i'm at in September, at which point i will probably move to the neighborhood where most of DD's father's side of the family lives-- at which point i will be the minority in the neighborhood again. But as i said before i think things will go much better this time, as i have experienced this neighborhood to be much more laid back than the one i previously lived in.

baby's father has also been the minority in a neighborhood we lived in before-- which also caused problems. I lived in a small condo building where there was an association-- every week someone was trying to get us kicked out. "i smell weed coming from under their door at night"-- we did not ever smoke pot in that apartment! EVER! "there's cigarette butts out in the parking lot"-- about 80% of the people there smoked cigarettes as well, so i dont know how we got singled out. "your trash can has a bad odor, bring your trash out only on the day before the truck comes". uhm, it's a trash can, and it's 90 degrees out here... it's supposed to smell bad.What, so i'm supposed to stack the bags of garbage inside my kitchen until the garbage truck comes each week? yeah right.

The first time he came by, after i had just moved in, I was at work so he left something with a neighbor to give to me-- when i spoke with her, she went on and on in shock abut some "hoodlum" who was looking for me, and not to worry: that her husband would call the cops the next time he came around. Much to her surprise, he ended up moving in the next week-- and she never made eye contact with me again. Believe me, if could have gotten out of that lease, I would have. :sigh:
Old 04-30-2008, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, not at all. We live in a predominantly white area but there are many many multicultural families. I feel quite at home here. One neighbor is a Japanese family. The other is an old time Portuguese family. Another neighbor is from New York City though of Indian heritage and her husband is from the South. There are Chinese, Filipino, and part-Hawaiian families nearby as well so we fit in very well in our area. There are many children who have nearly the same ethnic makeup as DD. I feel blessed to live where we do. I don't think I could live somewhere where *I* was the source of the diversity! I need to see others that resemble me.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:53 PM

yep. Caucasian Americans constitute over 80% of the pop in my town. I belong to a "thriving" 3% of the "Asian" population.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:06 PM

In answer to the op, no, I am not a racial minority in my neighbourhood. Where we live is somewhat diverse, as most 'inner-suburb' areas are, but still the majority of my neighbours are 'white'.

I used to cop a bit of shit for having an American accent, but it has been a few years now since anything has come up. My back gate was kicked in the last time, but that had more to do with the amphetemines the bloke was clearly on. The accent was just a trigger, kwim?

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 06-23-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
That said 6 years later, I am fine here, the bigger issue is my 16 yo son who currently lives with his Dad and wants to finish HS here with me. He recently was here on spring break and had his first encounter with the police, he supposedly fit the description of some young hooligan (who it turns out was white), however when the cop brought him home and saw where we lived in town and dh( who is white) suddenly it was a misunderstanding ::. I am concerned about my son being here, he is biracial (looks Latino) and 6'2 which in a small white town seems to be a potential issue.
I'm curious, what did you decide to do? Will he come to live with you?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM

When I first moved to this little village it was really white. There was one black family who lived next door and a mother raising her biracial son (black/white) across the street.

About a year later a hispanic/white family moved in down the street and three years later an Asian family moved in and right next door to them lives a black/Hispanic family. It's great to see more families of color (and diverse families at that) move into the area.

The village probably still is very white but there are more races milling about and moving in.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Our neighborhood and city is very diverse, and of course I love it.

We have a lot Inter-racial couples of Black-White, and Hispanic-White. Other families in the community include Cuban, Mexican, Filipino, Korean, Arab, Jews, Muslims, Christians, non-religious, Same-sex, you name we have it. The neighborhood kids are completely color-blind to friendship.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:09 PM

I'm not, but the rest of my family is. The town seems to be getting a little less white, but they're certainly in the minority. My youngest two DSD are Mexican/Black, my DD and oldest DSD are white/black and DP is black.

signature currently in transition
Old 06-27-2008, 04:27 PM

I'm not, but my husband is. There aren't many places in the US where South Asians are in the majority, though, so that's nothing special! The neighborhood is pretty darn white overall, though, more so than I thought when we moved in.

I'm not really sure how our son will be perceived, yet.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:33 PM

As a biracial woman (white mama, lack father), I find this question hard to answer. I guess, the answer is "yes." My neighborhood is about 70% Latino and I look Puerto Rican, am mistaken for Puerto Rican pretty often, actually. So I may be a minority statistically but I don't "stick out" here--no one does, which is why I love my neighborhood so much. The other 30% is mostly black, with some white and a small number of Asian. But, I would say, informally, that a good 30% of the children are multiracial, blending white, black, Latino, Asian and American Indian heritages.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:55 PM

No. We live in a university town with a huge foreign-student and foreign-researcher population, so there's plenty of diversity around. Interracial relationships and families are not uncommon.

It's pretty much the same all over the San Francisco Bay Area.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Definitely YES. But I live in Asia, so, well, go figure
DH and I live in Seoul where there are a actually a lot of foreigners (mainly US soldiers, but also Europeans, South Asians, N. Americans, even a few Africans and South Americans I've met), but a few thousand foreigners lost in a huge sea of about 11+ millions Koreans in a densely over-populated space doesn't feel like much most times. In our big crowded neighbourhood, far from where most of the foreigners and US soldiers live, I've seen/met about 5 non-Asians.

It's really difficult living here as a foreigner sometimes. This country is VERY, VERY, VERY homogenous and has a history of being quite isolated and a bit hostile to foreigners. We speak a lot of the local language and constantly overhear Koreans making really racist statments about both DH (who is white) and me (biracial, black+white). It is common for people to point and laugh at us and declare that we are "Americans" even though we are Canadian. We get lots of stares and head turns and even some harrassment from old drunks and rowdy teenagers. I know another Canadian who has been seriously assaulted by a local and had the police laugh at him and I worry about DHs and my safety sometimes amidst all the anti-foreign sentiment.

The people we work with, as well as a small population of locals, are used to being around foreigners and can be very kind and welcoming, but of course lack basic understanding of what it's like to be different and stand out or be a "foreigner". Both my husband and I, having lived and travelled in many countries and having advanced degrees in Cultural Studies/Anthropology and Sociology understand WHY the locals are ignorant about racism and have an "other" mentality about foreigners, but that doesn't make it any easier.
We've found it surprising, that of all the different countries we have lived in/traveled (Asia, Africa, S. America, E. Europe), after a couple of years here we've found Korea is the most difficult place to live as a foreigner. We didn't expect that. Being black, I've faced a fair amount of racism in a lot of places, but not such constant racism and ignorance that permeates every activity outside the walls of my home. Needless to say, we live a pretty insulated (but fairly happy) life, with just a few foreign and Korean friends and it's okay most of the time, but DH and I plan to leave in a year or so. Another adventure, this time New Zealand.

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

Old 06-29-2008, 12:33 AM

Yes. We are in a primarily black neighborhood, and I am white.

I don't think the tensions we felt in the first few years on this street were race related. There was active drug dealing going on, and the rentals were occupied by frightening people. Our car was stolen from our driveway while we were home, and for about a week, several young men made a point of wearing their "don't snitch" t-shirts and pointing at them and glaring at us whenever we went by.

Over time, though, the good neighbors stayed put and won out. The people in the houses surrounding ours are friendly and comfortable to be around, and just as desirous of a peaceful, safe neighborhood as dh and I so, we feel at home with them. :

It is more comfortable here for me than in Ethiopia, where dh is from. As a white woman I really, really stood out and being a foreigner put me at serious risk in certain areas.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:07 AM

My husband is Puerto Rican and I am Peruvian. We live in an area where 99% of the people are caucasian. Everybody has been nice so far with a few comments such as: "So and so are so attached to their hispanic heritage...blah, blah, blah" but not in a bad way, i think most of them are just curious... I have to tell you, though that even though everybody is nice and polite, nobody has invited us to their houses yet...

Gigi

User Tag List