Visiting the US for the first time! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-22-2008, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
: Even though i don't know if this belongs here.

From June 30 to July 25 this year! I've never been out of Europe or overseas, so i'm very excited about this!
Talk to me about breasfeeding in public in America Also what do you reccomend us to go first, they're to option Dublin - New York, Dublin - Orlando. I've thought about New York, becuase they're about 6 or 5 plane hours, should we rent a car getting there to visit other states or just take buses.

Thanks and advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 12:27 PM

Congrats on your trip! There's lots of planning to do, isn't there?

For starters, you should decide where you want to go. Huge country, ya know? Do you have specific destinations in mind? Trying to visit all 48 continental states in one trip? Bringing kids? Solo trip? While you *can* travel via bus, it's not as easy or convenient as it is in Europe, IMO.

If you are planning to drive at all, arrange for an international driver's license. You must get this in Ireland, since it's not good in the country it's issued in. (Bad grammar there, sorry.) I'm not sure where you'd get it, I know it's from AAA (American Automobile Association) in the US. Also you will need to study up on American road signs and signals--not the same as in Europe, although red still means stop and green still means go. And traffic laws can vary somewhat, depending on where you are.

Breastfeeding laws vary by state, so you will need to check each state that you plan to visit. Here's a summary.

Have fun planning!
#3 of 7 Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM

I would not recommend going by bus. Public transportation in the US is pretty dismal!

I have not had the pleasure of breastfeeding yet so I can't speak much to that.
#4 of 7 Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 PM

It's hard to answer the question on breastfeeding, since there isn't a monolithic perspective here. I think it depends where in this country you are. Will you have a chance to travel to the West Coast? Northern California (San Fran., Oakland, Napa etc) are all gorgeous, wonderful places to visit - very progressive, open, liberal about breastfeeding.
#5 of 7 Old 05-02-2008, 12:46 PM

I personally would take the Dublin-New York connection. The only reason to go to Orlando is to go to Disney World. Maybe if you are realllly into Southern culture & are willing to drive 6+ hours to see relevant sights. Florida is very, very...... flat.

New York is within driving distance of so many cool places- Philadelphia, D.C., Boston, the Adirondacks......

Don't get me wrong, over four years I had a lot of beautiful times on the east coast of Florida (San Sebastian), visiting my ex's family. I love the beach, & the waves at Sebastian Inlet & would love to get back there one day.

That said, if I were a first time tourist, I would go north to New York. Especially considering that is is going to be summer-time when you visit. Florida in summer is humid & hot.

Basically, do you want a swimming/beach/sunscreen kind of holiday, or do you want a travel around, see local sights,water is cool but you can still swim kind of holiday? That will determine your destination, I reckon.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

#6 of 7 Old 05-02-2008, 04:43 PM

Oh, also wondering if you have practiced driving on the right side of the road? It takes some getting used to if you've only ever driven on the left.
#7 of 7 Old 05-03-2008, 12:50 AM

With regards to the breastfeeding in public, I've breastfed in several states, including those without laws protecting a woman's right to breastfeed, and have had no incidents.

If you are in a department store, many of them have a room inside the restroom where you can breastfeed without any spectators. I've met other mommies there breastfeeding their LO.

I've breastfed in the airport in the security line with my sling, in malls, restaurants, food courts, inside cars, parks, beach, etc.

As someone previously mentioned, buses are not so fun over here. NY has a train, Amtrak, that goes up and down the coast (and other places), but it's almost as expensive as airline tix. Places aren't as close as they are in Europe so keep that in mind. If driving, keep in mind tolls, as they are pesky little things that pop up frequently.

Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page