Advice for Vietnamese familiy re holistic ADD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
#1 of 3 Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
wisecrone's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dear community:
My Vietnamese friend has questions. She is being pushed to have her 6 year old son (with asthma) start on Ritalin. She has concerns about this. She also experiences challenges in advocating for her son; communications are more difficult because of her ESL. Also, she is not as familiar with the public schoold system as she would like. Advice/ support/ suggestions are welcome! Thanx.
Seattle area.
wisecrone is offline  
#2 of 3 Old 04-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Bad Mama Jama's Avatar
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Locale so Secret that I Don't Know
Posts: 4,972
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would find he some info on an area holistic doctor near you because I would need several opinions before medication my child. Maybe if you list where she is, someone may know a physician there. Hope this helps somewhat.

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   


Bad Mama Jama is offline  
#3 of 3 Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 PM
seoul_mama's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Where the grickle grass grows
Posts: 764
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sounds like she could use an advocate. Seattle has a thriving Asian American community and I'm sure a hearty vietnamese population. If anything, there is probably some center that provides services to APIs (Asian Pacific Islanders). If possible, a translator might be helpful so that she can understand fully the advice given to her from her son's provider. She is in need of a second opinion - even if taking ritalin is not contraindicated, she should NOT be PUSHED/COERCED by the clinician. If the meds are being rx by a physician/pedi, then her son should get a 2nd opinion by a clinical psychologist who specializes in child psychology and is multiculturally sensitive and knowledgeable. While getting evaluated by a psychologist, the son can simultaneously consult with a homeopath/holistically informed doctor. I belong to a nation-wide listserv for Asian American psychologists, so if you're really interested in pursuing this then feel free to pm me with more details and I'll send it off to the listserv. hth. Good luck!
seoul_mama is offline  

Quick Reply
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:


Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off