Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
O/T Seven!!

Hi, I miss you!!!!:
#32 of 33 Old 05-03-2008, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD has a very interesting kind of hair. It was completely straight until recently when it started to curl very mildly. She has down to the middle of her back now (she is 3.75). Even straight, her hair is hard to manage. If I leave it just for a few hours loose, she gets little dreadlocks.

Anyhow, I do not wash it more than once a week and most of the time I just use conditioner, no shampoo. Then I use my DP's mixture of shea butter leave-in conditioner cream and water (to make a spray) and comb it. I only put the coconut grease after I brushed as it nourishes hair but makes it more difficult to comb IME. I usually make a braid on each side (I am horrible at everything that requires my hands and I barely manage to think of brushing my own hair).

As for the negative attitude towards black women's hair, I totally agree. I am so sick of people telling me that I am so lucky that my DD does not have 'nappy, black people hair' or, worse, that I am lucky I did not have a boy with her hair and complexion, because the Indian look is ok on a girl, not as much on a boy. (Yes, I have actually heard that several times from people who did not even think they were being disrespectful)

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#33 of 33 Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do not overwash her hair. As someone else mentioned, washing strips her hair of its natural oils which will leave it frizzy.
I suggest "co-washing"- washing her hair only with conditioner a few times a week (use like you would use a shampoo) and giving her a shampoo wash maybe once a week or even less.
Don't use anything in her hair that has a "cone" ingredient- silicone, dimethicone. Anything that ends in "cone" is bad, bad, bad and will coat her hair and make it dull and frizzy.
Detangle her hair while she has conditioner in her hair and don't brush it. A widetoothed comb is gentler than a brush on curly hair. I would advise NOT using a brush at all if you want to encourage curls.
Use natural oils like coconut and shea.
I also second using Oyin Handmade products. Great stuff.
PMing you some other info...

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page