Anybody Have a Partner Who Doesn't Want to Speak Their Native Language to Your Kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is Egyptian, yet he barely speaks any Arabic to our kids. It really frustrates me because I see as time goes on, they're losing the potential for ever being fluent. He says he feels weird speaking Arabic to them, when I don't understand it. I've told him, I don't care... but still he doesn't speak it very much. Although they do know when they're in trouble in Arabic.

Any tips on how to overcome this?? The kids are 4-1/2, 2-1/2, and 10 months and I worry especially that the older one is getting too old to pick any Arabic up. The eldest knows a bit, and goes to Arabic class twice per week (I take him)... but it's very basic.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 AM

My dad is a native Spanish speaker and my mom is monolingual English speaking. My dad didn't teach us Spanish. I ALWAYS wished that I had been given that gift! Instead I got to be the Latina in Spanish 1, Spanish surname not helping me with my struggle to learn Spanish. It makes me feel like an idiot to see white Americans speak Spanish better than me! It feels like my birthright! It was embarassing to have people approach me in Mexico expecting me to be fluent. I took classes all through highschool and college, have a minor in it, moved to Mexico for a while and attended a university, but I STILL struggle with it. Being from a mixed household, I think it would have given me a better connection to my Mexican heritage and family. So, I don't really have advice on how to get your husband to start, but I have friends in your situation, too, where the husband is only speaking to the child in English. I don't know why.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:21 AM

I couldn't get DH to do Chinese with DS.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 05-14-2008, 05:20 AM

Hi,
I'm actually the spouse who doesn't speak my native language to our son.
It really is harder than I thought it would be.
It's hard to switch from one language to another in the house. If I have to speak in English when talking to my husband and then speak Tagalog when talking to my son, it'll drive me nuts. And I have tried. I end up botching both languages and forgetting words.
Another thing is that most of our friends are American so I speak English ALL THE TIME and my tongue gets used to the softness when speaking American English. Tagalog requires a much harder tongue so the switch isn't as easy. Pretty much like muscle memory.
And yes, it feels awkward talking to our son in a language that his Dad cannot understand. I really feel rude doing it. Even if my DH won't mind, it still feels rude to me so that's something I need to get over.
What we have come up with is for my husband to learn Tagalog via Rosetta Stone so that he can understand the basics while I try harder to impart my language with our son.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:19 AM

Do you have the opportunity to study Arabic yourself? Maybe your DH would feel better if you were learning it as well and it wasn't such a "secret" language between him and the children. When I lived in the States, I can remember seeing quite a few books, tapes, videos, etc. for Egyptian Arabic as well as MSA when at bookstores.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is happening with my niece. My BIL has the same experience as grumpybear. He left China when he was 7. he grew up speaking mandarin with his parents, but they are the only people to whom he speaks the language, other than the random relative in China who calls. The rest of his life is in English. So it's very hard for him to switch. Further adding to the problem is that he doesn't read the Chinese characters. His family left right at the age when he'd have started learning them. Then they got caught up in building their new life in America, in having BIL learn English, etc. I think it would help him if he could read to Dear Niece in Mandarin.

Anyway, no advice, but it bugs my sister no end.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM

DH won't speak Farsi to DS. I don't know why... I've reiterated with him time and again that DS will lose the chance to be a native Farsi speaker unless DH speaks to him. He just won't do it.

My dad speaks French to DS, and DS is learning a ton of French, even though he only sees my dad a few hours a week. Every little bit helps... if only I could get DH on board.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:22 PM

Flor-my 11yo DD is feeling the same way and 6yo DS is getting annoyed. When she was born we lived in a multilingual community-primarily Spanish and English. You had to know some Spanish to get by. When she was 2 we moved to mainly English suburbs and DH stopped speaking Spanish due to his own issues. We fought about this alot-I gave up. He feels it won't help them but may HARM them!! :

So here are my kids with Spanish surnames clueless in Spanish class-adding to the fact everyone seems to question their ethnicity and race already. They have friends who speak Spanish and Arabic and feel so left out.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:23 PM

I tried everything to get DH to speak Hungarian to the kids when they were young, but now that the oldest two are 7 and 5, and the little 1 1/2, I've given up.

I really don't understand why his kids learning his native tongue is not important to him. We have visited his parents in Hungary numerous times, and it breaks my heart that the grandchildren and grandparents can't really talk to each other.

My daughter started grade one at a French immersion school in September, and I can't believe how well she is speaking already. What a shame it isn't her third language.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Yup.

My dh is fluent in 5 languages but only speaks English now. I think it's probably because it's just too hard for him to switch back and forth--he worked so hard on his English and hates making mistakes, and because his language (Amharic) reverses sentence structure and has other gramatical differences, whenever he spends any time speaking Amharic, he has to struggle a bit when he switches to English.

I am going to find an Amharic learning curriculum for the children so they can at least get a taste of it, and hopefully we will move back to Ethiopia before they lose the ease of language learning they have for the next few years.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:51 PM

My DH says he feels weird speaking Japanese to the kids. He gets really frustrated when he tries to teach them words and they don't get it right away.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

Yes! :
Old 05-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Yes. My dh speaks greek, but doesn't speak greek to our children. We don't live close to his family, so they are not exposed to the language through their grandparents either. My children are the only cousins who don't know any greek

But, I recently read (on MDC somewhere) that it actually is not true that it is easier for young children to learn second languages than older children/adults. It is easier to learn in immersion, but not necessarily within a specific window. I teach ESL, so I know that adults can become fluent in second languages. Our children can learn the languages of their culture when they are ready, if they choose. The biggest difference is that they won't have a natural accent.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:43 PM

Yes. DH always says he wants DS to speak Spanish, but he never seems to remember to speak to him in Spanish. We live far from his family and only see them twice a year, so DS doesn't hear it from anyone else. I sometimes find myself speaking more Spanish phrases than DH! Our four year old niece lives with my MIL (who speaks only Spanish) and she is almost fluent. It makes me sad that DS might not have that same chance.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-15-2008, 06:48 PM

I struggle with this too. It really is hard to switch once you exclusively start thinking in one language.

Mama to a 3.5 yo dd
Old 05-16-2008, 01:18 PM

Wow, this thread is interesting, because DH is the same way. It was our original plan that we’d do the “one parent one language” thing, but instead of speaking Japanese to DD he uses English all the time.

grumpybear, I appreciate reading your perspective as a native speaker of Tagalog. DH and I have never discussed this in depth (it’s a very sensitive subject for him) but I’ve come to believe that this is the case with him, too. He speaks English all day long with practically everyone, including me, and it seems too hard for him to switch to Japanese with DD now. Especially since she doesn’t understand him when he does.

I’m not going to push him, as he’s sensitive about it and we’ve had little arguments about the topic before. But I do feel bad about it and I’m not sure what to do.

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09
Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 AM

DH speaks lots of languages but really only speaks english with the kids which REALLY gets to me as it was absolutely his choice to come to france, we now how problems with my dd in french school, but he also speaks berber and arabic which he refuses to speak to the kids saying there's no point, but I think it's got more to do with his personal family experience and then after 9/11 things didn't get any better i.e. people's opinions of Algerians which they weren't afraid to tell him about - he was regularly accused of being a terrorist because of his country of origin. We met in Italy so we do introduce a smattering of Italian which the kids enjoy learning but the non-communication of other languages really bugs me.

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 PM

Wow, it was good to come upon this thread. My husband rarely speaks Thai to our girls and I am always harping on him to speak with them more while they are young. DD #1 lived in Thailand until she was 1 1/2 but has forgotten most of it. We were back in Thailand for 2 months over the winter staying with my in-laws there who speak no English and it was really hard as they couldn't really communicate with DD #1. The visit has helped a little with DH using more Thai at home but he still mainly uses English. At this point the girls learn more Thai from me than DH so they'll learn the words but not the accent since I wil never be able to get the tones right! Great thread though, thanks!
Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 PM

I guess from reading here and what I've seen this is a common problem.

It sounds like there are a lot of reasons why it is difficult and uncomfortable for the parents to speak the other language. Of course it is frustrating for us if our children are not picking it up like we think they could, but I think it is unrealistic and unfair to expect our partners to just change, too.

My husband actually does usually speak Spanish to our children, so I am thankful. But still, they only use it with him, sometimes with me, and I still worry that they will not be fluent.

I am constantly trying to tell him we should join a Spanish speaking church, a Latin American group, anything. He is not very social so it's just been a round and round never-ending plea for years.

I think I will finally have to take it upon myself to join a group and do the things I feel would be best for them. I'm sure my DH would come along.

What do you all think? Have you already tried to find other speakers of the language without needing your partner's participation? I guess it would be harder if you don't speak the language. What ideas do you have for finding those opportunities?

Children's videos and programming
Books on tape
Library story times
Special schools and classes
Playgroups
Churches
Associations (our city has a Peruvian Association that we've never contacted)
etc... ?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:58 PM

Also I wanted to add my experience. I spoke to my first in English (my native language) for his first year and then decided we should both speak to him in Spanish (my 2nd language-fluent). It was hard to switch, but once I had made the decision and stuck to it, it became easier and easier.

Now I have decided to switch back to English, and again it was very uncomfortable at first--not only making the switch, and remembering to do it, but taking into account my feelings about them having Spanish as their native language and feeling like they might be losing something.

Anyway, I just thought this perspective might help some of the other parents. They should know, yes it is very hard when you start, the children won't understand you, you'll feel uncomfortable, but it gets easier every day. I also taught immersion Spanish Kindergarten to English-only students so I know what it feels like to have kids looking at you with a blank face. It will be easier to make the switch than you might think. It helps if you think of it as the way you speak to a baby--of course, they don't understand you word for word but they learn through context, repetition, nonverbal clues, etc.

As for the other parent not understanding the language, it could become a special thing for the children and one parent. It might help to introduce a very structured daily ritual--not formal lessons, but just a *special* time with mom/dad where they use the other language in a very natural way. Bedtime stories could be only in the 2nd language, for example. Or, weekend mornings out to a restaurant where the language is spoken. The English-dominant parent can stay home and take a break and not feel left out This kind of structure might help some parents who find it hard to make the switch--they could find it easier to organize their brains into using the language in a limited situation with certain activities, where the vocabulary would come more easily.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita View Post
As for the other parent not understanding the language, it could become a special thing for the children and one parent. It might help to introduce a very structured daily ritual--not formal lessons, but just a *special* time with mom/dad where they use the other language in a very natural way. Bedtime stories could be only in the 2nd language, for example. Or, weekend mornings out to a restaurant where the language is spoken. The English-dominant parent can stay home and take a break and not feel left out This kind of structure might help some parents who find it hard to make the switch--they could find it easier to organize their brains into using the language in a limited situation with certain activities, where the vocabulary would come more easily.
webjefita...I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience and these ideas. DS1 is really into "secrets" and such... so I think if I told him that Arabic was his and his Baba's (Daddy in Arabic) secret language, he may find it very cool.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 05-18-2008, 12:52 AM

I really wish my father had. He was born in Italy, and my grandparents never became really good to hold a conversation with in English. When I went back to meet the rest of the family, I couldn't talk to them.

My mother used to beg him to speak Italian to us. His excuse was that it was a local dialect that would be useless in Rome or elsewhere. Who cares? it would have made a huge difference in the relationship with my dad's side of the family, and enriched us in other ways. I wish sometimes that I could speak Italian to my dad or sister on the phone or in secret when I didn't want others to understand us. I could cry thinking about it. He was a poor immigrant as a child, and I think the trauma from that made him hate his heritage and try to get away from it.

Please do everything in your power to change his mind. even if it's just words and phrases rather than 100% fluency. There's nothing to lose, and so much to gain...

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 05-18-2008, 04:35 AM

I don't post much , but this thread caught my attention.

I am the one teaching my children languages (I grew up in Hawaii) because my husband only speaks English. I am teaching my kids 3 languages and yes, it is a challenge, but my feeling is that even a little exposure is advantageous.

I speak to them in a different language per day. I also teach them more Hawaiian thru music, song, and dance. I noticed they are picking it up more when it is fun rather than a chore.

I would take the bull by the horns and learn the language together with your children if you have to. If that's the only way, then I would encourage it.

Quote:
There's nothing to lose, and so much to gain...
Old 05-18-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webjefita View Post
What do you all think? Have you already tried to find other speakers of the language without needing your partner's participation? I guess it would be harder if you don't speak the language. What ideas do you have for finding those opportunities?

Children's videos and programming
Books on tape
Library story times
Special schools and classes
Playgroups
Churches
Associations (our city has a Peruvian Association that we've never contacted)
etc... ?
I have started to look into this already as well. We are lucky that we live in Southern CA where it's not uncommon to hear more Spanish than English at times! We go to a Spanish and bilingual church and shop often at Hispanic markets and stores. DS has no interest in videos yet but in the next year or so I imagine we will start looking into them. We have a number of Hispanic friends as well that we try to speak at least some Spanish with them. I have bought him a number of Spanish books that I read him as well.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
Old 05-18-2008, 05:55 PM

webjefita-I like your suggestions. Thank you.

Dh is so used to speaking English that it's hard for him to remember to speak to me and everyone else in English but then switch to Russian for the kids. I originally wanted DH to speak to them in Russian and I would teach them English. Also, Dh would rather they learn what they'll need more so he would rather they focus on Yiddish and Hebrew (but I can't guarantee they will become fluent in either).
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 AM

I thought I was the only one who had this issue. My DH speaks Hindi and Gujrati, but will not teach the children. His mom tries, but the kids are cluless as we don't see them often enough. He dosen't understand how wonderful it would be for them. He says it's just too hard and then when he tries he gets frustrated when they don't pick up right away.

It's frustrating for me because he also doesn't teach them anything about his rich culture. It's left up to me to research and celebrate important holidays and traditions. My DD has had a hard time identifying with her Indian culture because my DH really sort of shelters her from it. And I think that is such a shame. This schol year I decided to celebrate Diwali in my DD's classroom and all of the kids had a great time. My IL's were shocked that I did this. But I did it for my DD.

-lisa
Old 06-08-2008, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We are a Hungarian-Japanese couple currently living in Japan. It`s been hard but I`m only speaking Hungarian to Ds (21 months old). He has no other way of learning my own native tongue at the moment. It helps in a weird way that I`m not fluent in Japanese yet. I guess if my Japanese were better it would be harder to switch to Hungarian with my son. This is the only language I speak well so...

I really think that books, tapes, videos are a big help with teaching children other languages. Ds and I listen to Hungarian radio on the internet and I`ve found many Hungarian cartoons on YouTube.

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
Old 06-09-2008, 03:44 PM

we had the "problem" (I thought it was one, my husband didn't ) in the beginning when our daughter was born. My husband didn't consider his language to be very important, and given that his homecountry has had its share of problems he didn't want to pull our daughter into all that.
For me the bilingual thing was pretty simple. Having grown up in a bilingual household myself, it actually seems very normal to be speaking a different language to my child than the people around us. I'd say my daughter was confronted to a lot of Swiss German to start with, and when she began to really understand things and talk (only single words at this stage), we noticed that she really did pick up German. I think that's where my husband noticed that he is the only one who could teach her, and if it worked with my language then maybe it would with his, too . Anyway, all this rambling to say that maybe it helps to join other families with similar constallations, where the second/third language is being spoken with kids. Seeing that it works with others might be a motivation, as well as a way to help kids see the new language as "normal", and see their parent in his/her language. I have the theory that people behave differently according to what language they are speaking, and I've felt that kids pick up on that.

With us the change was 2-3 months ago- and now my daughter refuses to talk to my husband on the phone when he speaks French with her. I think it's fantastic, even if she doesn't speak Kinyarwanda she'll have a relationship to that language.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flor View Post
My dad is a native Spanish speaker and my mom is monolingual English speaking. My dad didn't teach us Spanish. I ALWAYS wished that I had been given that gift!

:yea

Only my mother was Spanish and didn't teach my brother or me to speak Spanish. English was her second language.

I took 3 years in highschool, 1 semester in college, considered majoring in Spanish in college...but since after all that time taking classes I still couldn't carry on a basic conversation, I decided it was probably not a good idea.

I have a friend from home who has married a Mexican gentleman and he does not want their girls to learn Spanish. He says "English only." Sigh.

I WISH I had learned Spanish as a child, and then I could have taught my children, too.

All I have is a family tortilla recipe.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 PM

Hi, this is a very interesting thread.

I'm married to a Romanian and we are currently living in the US. I'm a US citizen born and raised here and I'm mostly monolingual except for bits of Spanish and Romanian. I tell my hubby to speak Romanian to my son but he forgets a lot because he speaks English with everyone else throughout the day except if he calls his family members or chats with them online.

I try to remind him though and that seems to be helping since he does want my son to learn. I plan to learn Romanian as well but at the moment we are considering a move to Denmark or another country around that area so I am not learning right now because if we do move I would want to focus on learning the language of the country we move to. I do have a text book and a language program for Romanian. Sadly they don't have Rosetta Stone in Romanian but there is "Before You Know It" which is pretty good for vocabulary and common phrases and I can have hubby add his own flash card to it for me. I recommend that program for vocabulary.

If we move to Denmark I'm getting Rosetta Stone and a Danish language text book. And I might also get Before You Know It in Danish.

I have to wait and see though.

Happily married Christian SAHM of 2 boys, DD1 uc.jpg, and DD2 July 2013 homebirth.jpg 

homeschool.gif   novaxnocirc.gif cd.gif   winner.jpg                                       

User Tag List