"White" Native Americans? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 91 Old 06-25-2008, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else out there?
I have blond hair, blue/green eyes, pale skin... but I'm Native, raised with the traditions of the Anishinabe.
I think there are some issues that people "like me" face which aren't faced by others- fighting to participate in our own culture, not immediately being associated with our own families and "people", having to *prove* we are what we are.
I'm sure I'm not the only one. Where are the Natives hiding in plain sight?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#2 of 91 Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 AM

I grew up in a very small town. I rode the buss out to the reservation, and as such all my friends were native. We had one kid that was blonde, blue eye, white as paper. I will forever remember the way the other kids treated him, and how hard he fought to be recognised as "one of them" because he WAS. I am glad to see that you are talking about this, because I don't think a lot of people have ever even thought about this issue- or the trials and tribulations that go along with this.
Rock on Mamma!

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

#3 of 91 Old 06-25-2008, 05:58 AM

My dh is NA but doesn't really look it and neither does my dd as I am not NA.
Dh isn't blond haired and blue eyed. He has had other NA tell him that he doesn't look like a tribal member. I think it makes it harder for him to participate in the tribe and at tribal events.
His siblings looked more NA than him.
He usually doesn't tell anyone he is NA.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#4 of 91 Old 06-25-2008, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyzombiecat View Post
My dh is NA but doesn't really look it and neither does my dd as I am not NA.
Dh isn't blond haired and blue eyed. He has had other NA tell him that he doesn't look like a tribal member. I think it makes it harder for him to participate in the tribe and at tribal events.
His siblings looked more NA than him.
He usually doesn't tell anyone he is NA.
That's what I'm talking about. I don't usually tell anyone either and I feel so often like I'm living a lie- a lie of omission perhaps, but still a lie.
Due to laws in Canada, I'm not a tribal member- I don't qualify (look up Bill C-31, if you want to know more about that deal). All of my brothers are recognized by sight as "Native", as are my mom, my aunts and uncles, my cousins- I'm pretty much the "white sheep". However, I was raised with the traditional teachings and carry some of the stories, which is more than most of the rest of my family can say. On rez, most of my family are referred to as "apples" by the Elders- when I asked the Elders what the word was for people "like me", I was told "We don't *have* a word for people like you." or simply "You're Anishinabe."
It's hard to figure out where you "fit" when everyone tells you that you just plain don't. Which is why I bring this up at all.
In Canada, there are the "Metis"- a people of Native and European descent, but their traditions are distinct from Native traditions. So I'm not Metis- don't fit there either.
Too "white" to be Native, too Native to be "white", too traditional to be Metis.
I know I'm human, but it sure would be nice to be able to celebrate and participate in my culture without all the grief. /rant
Sorry.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#5 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 03:04 AM

I'm not, but there was "the cute waitsser." A freind and I used to Eat a a not very good cafe frequently just so we could visit the cute waiter. Truely cute doesn't do him justice he was drop dead gorgeous, bt we simply called him "the cute waiter."

His ancestry was a complete mystery from looking at him. His skin was fairly dark, and his hair was dark (so those two aspects would fit NA steriotype.) However, he had very extensive male pattern balding and shockingly blue eyes (both trait that are uncommon for NA.) Now when I say shocking blue I'm talking about that incredibly pale ice blue color one usually sees on blonds.

I don't remember how the conversation came up, but his heritage was Navajo and another tribe (this was years ago so the memory is vague) on his fathers side, and scottish on his mothers side.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#6 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 AM

DH is almost half and you would never guess it to look at him. His dad looks very NA.

http://b7.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/0...93240477_l.jpg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#7 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

This is me:
http://www.cheekan.org/pics/jacqueli...ture%20038.jpg

I'm "one quarter blood quantum", which is enough, from what I understand, to qualify for membership in most US tribes- assuming you're descended from that tribe and assuming said tribe goes by "blood quantum" still. In Canada, it only takes "marrying out" by 2 successive generations to "lose" one's "treaty rights". This means that even if your tribe accepts you into the tribal membership (which most won't due to the next part), they will receive no funding for you. So, even though a large portion of my family lives and works on reserve, I don't qualify for membership because I'm not "status".
Previously, a Native woman would lose her "status" and tribal membership if she married a "white" person, while a "white" woman who married a Native man would gain "status" as a Native along with tribal membership. (Again, this was all bill C-31 stuff.)

One of my good friends has what I call "wolf eyes" too. It's shocking to have someone so dark turn such "cold" eyes on you (as opposed to "warm" brown eyes).

#8 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 04:31 AM

That's crazy. It's all genetics. In DH's family blue eyes totally dominate. DH's dad had dark eyes and he got blue. My SIL married a man with black eyes and their son got blue as well. My gram is 1/2 Cherokee and she got hazel eyes. I've seen a 1/2 black person with red hair before. My sisters got my mom's slanty eyes, I didn't. :

I asked DH once if it bothered him that he doesn't look more like his dad and he said no.

Here's my gma with my baby sis (yes she's only 11 months older than DS2 LOL ) http://a626.ac-images.myspacecdn.com...bb8a2669d9.jpg

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

It probably would not have bothered me too much either except for a few things:
-all of my cousins (and one of my uncles) called me "the little white Indian" since I was the only blond on my mom's side of the family and one of the *very few* in my family who carry the stories of the Anishinabe

-I was the only girl in my family and the "baby", so I was extra sensitive to being "different" (because I wasn't a boy and my brothers all were- obviously)

-It's difficult when you're getting beat up because "you're white and have the sheer unmitigated gall to do Indian things" (ie smudging, sweat lodges, etc)

-I look so unlike my family that when people meet them they say "Oh! That's who you were talking about! I never would have guessed." even if I'd told them my family was Native- My brothers used to tell their friends "We have to bring our sister." only to have their friends say "Okay, but lose the little white girl." (This is both a and a for me, so feel free to laugh.)

ETA: Your sister is so cute! And I really like your gma's necklace.

#10 of 91 Old 06-26-2008, 09:19 AM

Dh and dd last year.
They are members of the Ioway tribe.
The both have brown hair and brown eyes but still don't look typically NA.
Dh is also part Irish and Greek. We have an Irish last name.
I'm not sure how far pack is pure NA blood. Maybe his grandmother or great grandparents?

#11 of 91 Old 06-30-2008, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Your daughter looks a lot like my foster-sister did when she was little, Kim.

#12 of 91 Old 07-01-2008, 10:59 AM

Is your foster-sister also NA?

#13 of 91 Old 07-01-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, she's 1/2 by blood quantum. She has the same problem with being told she's not Native too. It doesn't help that both of our little sisters are blond and blue-eyed.

#14 of 91 Old 07-02-2008, 08:02 PM

My skin is pale, very pale, but you can see my Native American blood in my cheek bones, jaw, and my ....heh heh....old nose. I've been asked if I was Eastern European, part Native American, Jewish......I don't know why, a lot of people will just ask me these questions right at the check out line. I must be mighty strange looking that that many people ask me for an explanation. Rather unnerving.
#15 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmeyrick View Post
My skin is pale, very pale, but you can see my Native American blood in my cheek bones, jaw, and my ....heh heh....old nose. I've been asked if I was Eastern European, part Native American, Jewish......I don't know why, a lot of people will just ask me these questions right at the check out line. I must be mighty strange looking that that many people ask me for an explanation. Rather unnerving.
Ditto here

Orthodox Mama
#16 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Anyone else out there?
I have blond hair, blue/green eyes, pale skin... but I'm Native, raised with the traditions of the Anishinabe.
I think there are some issues that people "like me" face which aren't faced by others- fighting to participate in our own culture, not immediately being associated with our own families and "people", having to *prove* we are what we are.
I'm sure I'm not the only one. Where are the Natives hiding in plain sight?
I think that part of the issue is that there are a lot of white people with "Indian Princess" ancestry who like to attend events and claim the culture. When someone looks white it's hard to know if they are Native by culture and with a large genetic component, or if they decided that a great-great-great ect. grandmother qualifies them. So much of Native culture has been co-opted that it's a protective thing. I do find it interesting that your tribe isn't accepting you- I've seen some people here who look pretty white but if their geneology is known and they were raised here they are accepted.
It boils down to this- what makes something someone culture? I have an Irish ancestor back a ways, but that doesn't make me Irish. I wasn't raised in the culture.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#17 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 04:19 PM

I'm nearly half n/a, I didn't grow up in the culture though you can tell by looking at me that I am part n/a only my skin is more pale. Genetically I am more pale than many but all of my features hair color,eye color, face etc are dead on. If people ask about me, I tell them but that's about it. I also teach my children about their heritage and ancestors as much as I can because I believe that its important. I dont feel like my heritage is any less important to me because I am not associated directly with a tribe though. We are a military family and it would be hard to find a place every time we move as well, so its up to me to teach my children what they need to know.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#18 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theretohere View Post
I think that part of the issue is that there are a lot of white people with "Indian Princess" ancestry who like to attend events and claim the culture. When someone looks white it's hard to know if they are Native by culture and with a large genetic component, or if they decided that a great-great-great ect. grandmother qualifies them. So much of Native culture has been co-opted that it's a protective thing. I do find it interesting that your tribe isn't accepting you- I've seen some people here who look pretty white but if their geneology is known and they were raised here they are accepted.
It boils down to this- what makes something someone culture? I have an Irish ancestor back a ways, but that doesn't make me Irish. I wasn't raised in the culture.
Oh, I totally understand the protective aspect of it BUT when I went to see my grandmother in an Elder's home and was told that I was in the wrong place and there was no way my grandma could be there- until my Native looking brother came in and set them straight- I got pretty ticked not to mention very hurt.
Another part of the problem is that although I spent a lot of time on reserve, I wasn't raised there so I wasn't a "usual face". As I said, as soon as people realize *who* my family is, I'm accepted but even on describing them, until someone actually sees me with them, they don't make the connection. Often even then it has to be mentioned and they go "REALLY?!" Then they usually go "OH! THIS is the little white Indian you talk about!":
Most of my family, as I said, are "apples"- totally devoid of the culture. I got lucky and found Elders who would teach me- and then finally found a cousin who's a traditionalist on rez.
Quote:
... so its up to me to teach my children what they need to know.
See, here's the problem for me now. Like you, I've moved away from my tribe so I cannot take my children to my Elders for teaching. Unfortunately, I've been in the culture enough to carry stories, etc but not enough to know everything I consider necessary for them to know. So I'm caught in this dilemma where I can teach them what I know, but they're still going to lose their culture. I suppose it's not as readily apparent to someone who has already lost their culture how incredibly devastating that is to me. And, honestly, even if I were raising my children near my tribe, they'd still be treated like little white kids by the Natives (I know because that's how *I* was treated and still am- until people find out who my family is and then, again, they're like "OH! The little white Indian!").

#19 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I have an Irish ancestor back a ways, but that doesn't make me Irish. I wasn't raised in the culture.
But we are totally happy to claim you as our own. See, Obama song one great-great-great grandpa and they wrote him a song. One only needs to have a single grandparent born in Ireland to return and/or claim full citizenship.

Yep, the Irish want you.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#20 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
And, honestly, even if I were raising my children near my tribe, they'd still be treated like little white kids by the Natives ).
I have a lot to say, but no way to say it in a way that isn't going to offend. You feel Native, and you want your kids to be raised that way, right? You need to accept that other Natives aren't going to really like that, though.
Why not just say that your kids have some Native ancestry? Here people like you would be called descendants, even if no one recognized you as Native.
I hope that you can find some peace, for yourself and your kids.

#21 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
But we are totally happy to claim you as our own. See, Obama song one great-great-great grandpa and they wrote him a song. One only needs to have a single grandparent born in Ireland to return and/or claim full citizenship.

Yep, the Irish want you.
Ah, but none of my grandparents were born in Ireland- it's further back then that. :P Shame, though.

#22 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have a lot to say, but no way to say it in a way that isn't going to offend. You feel Native, and you want your kids to be raised that way, right? You need to accept that other Natives aren't going to really like that, though.
Why not just say that your kids have some Native ancestry? Here people like you would be called descendants, even if no one recognized you as Native.
I hope that you can find some peace, for yourself and your kids.
So my brothers are Native, my mom is Native, my cousins are all Native but I'm a "descendant"? Care to tell me how that works?

#23 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 08:37 PM

Can I get in on this conversation, too?

My grandmother on my mom's side is half, I think. Her lineage comes from her dad and we're Mohegan.
On my dad's side, he thinks we're Shawnee or Crow. There is no proof because my great-gma was unmarried when she had my gpa and that wasn't discussed back in the day in WV, I guess.

Pic of my dad.

Pic of me.

I KNOW my lineage is NA. It doesn't matter to me whether it's through my grandmothers or my grandfathers. I AM STILL NA. I don't have much connection to it, though, and that kind of saddens me. I don't have stories and legends and heritage to share w/ my kids.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#24 of 91 Old 01-03-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Can I get in on this conversation, too?

My grandmother on my mom's side is half, I think. Her lineage comes from her dad and we're Mohegan.
On my dad's side, he thinks we're Shawnee or Crow. There is no proof because my great-gma was unmarried when she had my gpa and that wasn't discussed back in the day in WV, I guess.

Pic of my dad.

Pic of me.

I KNOW my lineage is NA. It doesn't matter to me whether it's through my grandmothers or my grandfathers. I AM STILL NA. I don't have much connection to it, though, and that kind of saddens me. I don't have stories and legends and heritage to share w/ my kids.
You are PART NA. You can examine the connection and learn stories and legends, just like I'm assuming you are with the rest of your cultural heritage.

Quote:
So my brothers are Native, my mom is Native, my cousins are all Native but I'm a "descendant"? Care to tell me how that works?
I am trying to explain to you why you are having problems being accepted. It's not just your appearance, it's your attitude. I'm sorry that being called white hurts your feelings and that people haven't recognized your family ties. That's rotten. But can't you see where people are coming from? You may be reasonably in touch with Anishinaabe culture, but as I'm sure you know there are a lot of people who have one ancestor 6 generations back who want to run to the rez looking for acceptance and open arms. It's not easy to tell based on looking at you that you aren't part of that camp. I am trying to be supportive without falsely blowing rainbows at you.

#25 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, I don't just "feel" Native. I *am* Native. Kind of a big difference. It's kind of difficult for me not to *be* what my entire family *is*.
I'm sorry but I can't help what I *look*like.
I started this thread to hear from others who, like myself, lived in their culture, maybe even have been taught traditionalist ways (like myself), but have to fight to be accepted as what they *are*, not what they feel or think they are.
You say I have an "attitude" about being called a "white Indian". Yes, I do. It's difficult not to when I've been beaten, mocked and criticized for trying to keep my culture and traditions alive to the tune of "white Indian" by both sides of the fence. I'm sorry that the Natives who are lucky enough to *look* it don't get that. I realize they have their own troubles with discrimination to deal with. *This* thread was started with the intention of supporting those who are Native but don't look it and have to deal with the problems inherent in that situation- not to be told yet again how we're "not Native", "don't belong" and are "white Indians", nor why it's "okay" for us to be mistreated because of the colour of our skin, hair or eyes.
USAmma likes this.

#26 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
You are PART NA. You can examine the connection and learn stories and legends, just like I'm assuming you are with the rest of your cultural heritage.

Why is there such exclusion? Ok, so PART NA. SO SORRY.

Attitudes of exclusion (like this) make it very hard for me to search for my roots and find my way. It's really rude. I'm not looking to appropriate a culture that is not mine. I am looking to discover a culture that my ancestors belonged to, to see what made them tick, how they lived. I want to feel closer to my roots. I can't do that if other NA's insist upon making sure I know that I'm only PART NA.

I'm only PART Scottish, too, but I don't get Scots telling me I'm only part Scot. :

As for Jacqueline's situation: She is NA. She just happens to have blonde hair and white skin. So there's a white person generations back or something! So what? She's more NA than I am and she gets crap for it, too?

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#27 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Why is there such exclusion? Ok, so PART NA. SO SORRY.

Attitudes of exclusion (like this) make it very hard for me to search for my roots and find my way. It's really rude. I'm not looking to appropriate a culture that is not mine. I am looking to discover a culture that my ancestors belonged to, to see what made them tick, how they lived. I want to feel closer to my roots. I can't do that if other NA's insist upon making sure I know that I'm only PART NA.
This is what makes me scared to look into my NA ancestry. I'm Inuit and Cherokee. The Cherokee is mostly on my dad's side, and not registered because my paternal grandfather was, how shall we say, born out of wedlock though his mother was married. The Inuit is registered and both I and my sons qualify for health benefits and so on. But I live in OK (which would be great for learning about our Cherokee heritage) and previously I lived in NM and people see the dark hair and think I am latina. Dh works with several people who are NA, and some who look more NA than I suppose I do, but I have more blood quantum than they do. (Certainly blood quantum is not the end-all be-all of anything, just sayin.) But since I didn't grow up on the rez, I don't think I could find anyone willing to teach me or anything. I'm just...too white. with white babies. Maybe that isn't what I would find, but I'm really afraid that it is.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#28 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
This is what makes me scared to look into my NA ancestry. I'm Inuit and Cherokee. The Cherokee is mostly on my dad's side, and not registered because my paternal grandfather was, how shall we say, born out of wedlock though his mother was married. The Inuit is registered and both I and my sons qualify for health benefits and so on. But I live in OK (which would be great for learning about our Cherokee heritage) and previously I lived in NM and people see the dark hair and think I am latina. Dh works with several people who are NA, and some who look more NA than I suppose I do, but I have more blood quantum than they do. (Certainly blood quantum is not the end-all be-all of anything, just sayin.) But since I didn't grow up on the rez, I don't think I could find anyone willing to teach me or anything. I'm just...too white. with white babies. Maybe that isn't what I would find, but I'm really afraid that it is.
It's been my experience, unfortunately. Also, I live many states away from my grandmother, my only real link to our culture. She can tell me stories, but I can't find Pow Wows down here in a reasonable driving distance to me and I don't know of ANY Mohegans in TX.

My children have been given names (dd is Yellow Lark [she's blonde, hence the Yellow] and ds1 is Wolf Spider [Mohegan is the Wolf clan], and baby is so far unnamed), but there wasn't an official naming ceremony because I don't know it and my grandmother and our tribe is too far away for us to get there to have one.

Also, I have to PAY to be on the books. A) We don't have that kind of money, and B) Why should I pay for something that is my birthright? I don't pay money to Scotland to claim my Scottish lineage, why does the tribe require it?

I suppose I should just email the Grand Sachem and talk to him about it.

#29 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpenguin View Post
on my dad's side, and not registered because my paternal grandfather was, how shall we say, born out of wedlock though his mother was married.
This is my situation, as well, on my dad's side. Although his mother wasn't married at all, to my knowledge.

#30 of 91 Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM

Genetics can be a crazy thing. I used to be friends with a woman who had a parent who was 1/8 white, the other parent was full blooded. She had light brown hair and blue-green eyes. Her features were native but anyone looking at her would've guessed she'd be 1/4 or 1/8 blood but the genes she got tossed at conception just happened to get her the blue-green eyes and light hair. My older son was friends with a girl a few years back who I think was over 1/2 Blackfoot. She had light brown hair, blue eyes, and totally northern European features.

I have a different twist of this theme going on. I've had white people be jerks to me because they thought I wasn't white enough. I've had natives give me the look like I wasn't Indian enough. I've also had white people(not the same ones as above) tell me Indian jokes (thinking I'll find them as funny) then the next day have Indians tell me white people jokes so obviously a few natives accepted me. Then I've had 2 different guys on the same night walk up to me and ask "what are you?" I kid you not. I usually take it in stride. The thing I have issues with are family members not talking about my heritage. Clearly there's native blood in my family (or at least me) and this ancestor isn't that far back in the family tree. My mother pulled me aside a few times to tell me I was part Indian but never told my siblings that. My moms a first generation American so this ancestor is not on her side. My mom claims my dads mother is native, my dad said she wasn't and said through my entire childhood he wasn't my dad. My mom said he was. I used to think they mixed me up with another kid at the hospital and gave my parents the wrong kid. I just want some answers and everyone avoids the subject. Obviously someone can tell me something but this must be a taboo subject in my family. My other siblings all looked white and never had any issues. My dad had the 'could be anything' look that sometimes people of Mediterranian descent have but his family claims northern European counties for their ancestry.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page