Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 02-24-2009, 07:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanessaS View Post
Tim

This is true if you live in the US and travel to Germany. But I had to use my German one to enter Germany to explain why I didn't have a return ticket or Aufenthaltserlaubnis.
eh, i've never even had anyone in german passport control look at my residence permit, they usually wave me through or glance briefly at my photo. and we only use my child's US passport to travel and no one questions it even though she has both. in my experience only the US gives you any trouble.
#62 of 69 Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
in my experience only the US gives you any trouble.
This is also true. I meant that the US airline agencies have refused to check me in until I could produce my German passport. Strange but true. Has happened a few times already.
I've also had passport control in Germany ask questions but I speak fluent Bavarian so they wave me through pretty quickly. Maybe because I'm black?
#63 of 69 Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 PM

Yeah, please don't name any child ADOLPH. The boy is really going to suffer- that name propably won't be used at all thanks to History.

Also Karl-Heinz and other combos like that are still grinned at. They sort of bring up the picture of an overweight guy with a huge beer belly, most likely in his 50ies. Was very popular right after WWII.

In the German-American communities I know names that can be pronounced both ways are popular.

A lot of
Adrian
Leos
Julian
Luca
Lukas
Sebastian
Adam
William
Richard
Samuel

Pretty much names that exist on both sides of the pond.

Right now names from "Wilhelminian" Times are back and popular.
Wilhelm, Sophie, Anneliese etc.

And please rethink "Hans and Franz". Those are definitely names of somebody American who thinks that's very "german"....Like somebody here would say "Oh, my great-grandmother was german" and names their child Gretel and Heidi- surefire way to identify yourself as American.... Good way to state your preference for SNL and/or "Hogan's Heroes".

"Hans und Franz" are kind of the equivalent of saying "every American man is called Bob and Joe and Dick".
#64 of 69 Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Exile View Post
Also Karl-Heinz and other combos like that are still grinned at. They sort of bring up the picture of an overweight guy with a huge beer belly, most likely in his 50ies. Was very popular right after WWII.
Ha! That is my FIL's name, but as far as I know, he refuses to go by it. Everywhere he can get around using it, he does. I only found out it was his real first name when we were gathering documents for USCIS. My husband says it sounds awful and doesn't blame him.
#65 of 69 Old 02-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
Ha! That is my FIL's name, but as far as I know, he refuses to go by it. Everywhere he can get around using it, he does. I only found out it was his real first name when we were gathering documents for USCIS. My husband says it sounds awful and doesn't blame him.

yep, no modern day kid in germany is going to be happy with anything that sounds "german" to americans.
#66 of 69 Old 02-26-2009, 11:50 PM

I'm German and named my son Koen, he won't look German since his dad is Thai. I thought that was a compromise. I actually like Max or Maximilian. These are strong names.
#67 of 69 Old 02-28-2009, 11:35 AM

I like Max and Alex as well but they are ueber-popular right now.
#68 of 69 Old 03-07-2009, 08:11 PM

I like Henrik. It's easily pronouncable...but I don't know if it's German....or Thomas (Tomas).
#69 of 69 Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Milan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page