Need "Latino meets Appalachian" BOY NAME suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Totally random, I know, but we still don't have a boy name chosen and it could be a boy next month...

I never thought I'd be asking for name ideas on MDC, but...there you go...

My favorites to give you an idea of where we are at:
Adán, Andrés, Armando, Emiliano, Joaquín, Daniel, Diego, Carlos

DH's favorites:
Levon, Harlan, Jasper, Rembert, Jed

We do like OT biblical names (Isaac, Ezra), but it's important to me that a name work both in Spanish and English. Errrrrrgh. BTW, our girl name is chosen, works in Sp/Eng AND has family roots.
#2 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
Totally random, I know, but we still don't have a boy name chosen and it could be a boy next month...

I never thought I'd be asking for name ideas on MDC, but...there you go...

DH's favorites:

We do like OT biblical names (Isaac, Ezra), but it's important to me that a name work both in Spanish and English. Errrrrrgh. BTW, our girl name is chosen, works in Sp/Eng AND has family roots.
I am loving Daniel Jasper I've always loved the name Joaquin too.

afro.jpg
#3 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM

here are some ideas from my old baby name lists: i tried to pick the names that work in both languages.
julian, romeo, calet, israel, elias, elian, zion, moses, alonso, damian, cesar, luis, lander, salustio, victor, paolo, ramiro, oliver, omar, wilson, amaru.

you could always go with names like diego or miguel that basically everyone can pronounce because they are so popular, but i'm sure you have already considered those.

plus, all the names you listed as spanish names are ones that i would consider pronounceable in english (but expect to correct people the first time, obviously). it's when you get to names like jesus or hector that things get tricky for the non-spanish speakers.

raising my two sunshine children.

#4 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
I am loving Daniel Jasper I've always loved the name Joaquin too.
DH has completely nixed Daniel. Too bad, since it works in both languages.
#5 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post
here are some ideas from my old baby name lists: i tried to pick the names that work in both languages.
julian, romeo, calet, israel, elias, elian, zion, moses, alonso, damian, cesar, luis, lander, salustio, victor, paolo, ramiro, oliver, omar, wilson, amaru.

you could always go with names like diego or miguel that basically everyone can pronounce because they are so popular, but i'm sure you have already considered those.

plus, all the names you listed as spanish names are ones that i would consider pronounceable in english (but expect to correct people the first time, obviously). it's when you get to names like jesus or hector that things get tricky for the non-spanish speakers.
I love these ideas, keep 'em coming. (Alonso is on my list, but DH is so-so on it).

DH actually wants Jesus on the list, but for non-Sp speakers, it's just too much. They don't get it and it's too heavy. What if the kid ends up living in London or...or...North Dakota?!?

Yea, I'm aiming for something that is simple and works easily in both languages. You can see how "Levon or Harlan" don't cut it for me.

DH isn't opposed to Spanish or Nahuatl (see siggy-DD1 is Maya Xochitl Azul)-- it's just that he is kind of being insistent on including or emphasizing HIS heritage, especially if it's a boy. [I swear, it's some weird testosterone thing, this] He's white, from southern Ohio. Appalachia. Family from south Georgia. Roots are Scottish & French.

I'm Chicana: Texas/Califas familiy, currently settled in New Mexico.

This boy name thing is really giving us problems...
#6 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 08:07 PM

I do especially enjoy the "hispanic" biblical name of Rafael (healer of G-d). I don't know how that would work in Applachian culture, but does it matter? Part of the pluses of the Civil Rights Movement was more acceptance of non-WASPy cultures. I know in the Jewish community that I am a part of, you saw more people proud of using their biblical or Yiddish names, whereas in my parents generation, everyone used his/her "English" name at all times except in synagogue. For instance, my name is Shifra (one of the Hebrew midwives in the Bible--see Exodus 1:15 if you want to look it up), but I was named for a woman whose name was Shirley (she was only called Shifra in the synagogue).

Anyway, good luck in choosing a name! It's a great privilege and responsibility.

Shifra
#7 of 38 Old 08-04-2008, 08:55 PM

We chose Gabriel. Very international name. I was at first thinking the spanish pronounciation would sound to girly in English, like Gabrielle, but now it is so natural, and his southern daycare can call him Gabe, and my dad can call him Gabito!

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#8 of 38 Old 08-05-2008, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Shifra View Post
I do especially enjoy the "hispanic" biblical name of Rafael (healer of G-d). I don't know how that would work in Applachian culture, but does it matter? Part of the pluses of the Civil Rights Movement was more acceptance of non-WASPy cultures.
Rafael is out for me. I have a creepy & annoying Uncle Rafa.

And it does matter that we include dh's family/heritage this time around... we just haven't figured out how to do it!

Keep the ideas coming, though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carita View Post
We chose Gabriel.
I love love love this name in both languages and it's biblical and as you say, can cross over (cultures) so easily, BUT our godson (son of closest friends who are also godparents to dd1) is Gabriel and it just would be like giving the same name to two brothers... I just can't do it.
#9 of 38 Old 08-05-2008, 01:45 AM

Julian
Leon
Marcus
Roberto/Robert
Christian
Ricardo/Richard

Would he go for Esteban? I love Esteban! And the child can always use Steve. Or Stephan.

I'm a morning person.  We actually do exist.
#10 of 38 Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 AM

Quote:

DH's favorites:

Sorry for giggling, but I think the battling favorites lists are funny. Kinda cute. And I totally see the problem.

Would y'all be able to work a compromise--like a Hispanic name and a more American sounding nickname? Like, Joaquin/Jack? It's too bad Gabriel is out. Christian was another suggestion I thought would be good. And it can be shortened to Chris (and it's sorta-kinda related to Jesus ).
#11 of 38 Old 08-05-2008, 05:49 AM

Our ds is Gabriel too...I'm so happy with the choice as it works really well not only in both of his own cultures (dh is from Panama) but it really is so international in general..

Gabe works well for the appalachians, one side of my family is Appalachian and they like Gabe. Sometimes they call him Gab-rol though which is funny to me.

Another name we are considering if we have a boy again is Ruben...I'm thinking that one works in both languages/cultures pretty well too.

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#12 of 38 Old 08-05-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post

Sorry for giggling, but I think the battling favorites lists are funny. Kinda cute. And I totally see the problem.
Oh yea, the whole thing is hysterical. We did not go through this AT ALL with dd1. I used to scoff at people who needed help finding a name :

DH has also come up with these: "Atahualpa Lazarus" and "Adolf Hernan" — that's when I just can't take him seriously...
#13 of 38 Old 08-06-2008, 12:32 AM

Giirl names are easy DH and I had one all picked out and ready before the ultrasound. Then after the ultrasound, we went insane working on a boy name. We didn't have one picked out till DS was 5 days old. He spent 5 days being "Baby Boy XXXX" on medical forms.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#14 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 04:58 PM

Consider that maybe if your godson is not family, that you may not always be around him, so you could still choose Gabriel.

I also like Lucas/Lukas. I think that would crossover well as well. He can go by Lucas or Luke...

~ Professor Mama to Gabito (July '07) & Danita (April '10) ~
A PhD = + +
#15 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganeldi View Post
Another name we are considering if we have a boy again is Ruben...I'm thinking that one works in both languages/cultures pretty well too.
I was going to suggest Ruben, too. I have a (very white) cousin w/a Mexican husband, and they named their boy that. It's nice. And not as common as Gabriel, though I know not everyone's main criteria for picking a name is its popularity (or lack thereof).

Mommy to kids

#16 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 06:59 PM

Samuel (Sam?)
Jaime? (I know it's pronounced differently in both languages..I love the Spanish version, personally).
Sebastian? (I don't know why I think this name is appalachian...it just sounds like it to me when ever I pronounce it...)
#17 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Ruben was on our short list...! We ended up with a Noah Miguel instead....but Ruben is an awesome name....does your DH like that?
peace,
robyn
#18 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 PM

Peter struck me today as a nice one that works in may cultures. There is a Peter on the Porta Rican side of the family. The Irish side of the fsmily has never had any trouble pronouncing it needless to say.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#19 of 38 Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

I'm lovin' all these ideas, mamas!

Re: Rubén -- I've added it to the list, along with many of your other suggestions.

For all I know, it'll be a girl and we will have gone back-n-forth for nuthin' I our girl name-- can I share it with you comadres?

Lola Ixchel
#20 of 38 Old 08-08-2008, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xochimama View Post
DH has also come up with these: "Atahualpa Lazarus" and "Adolf Hernan" — that's when I just can't take him seriously...

My DH (Dutch) actually, in all seriousness, suggested both Balthazar and Gunderanus .. . no, i repeat, he was not joking . . . .
#21 of 38 Old 08-08-2008, 10:54 PM

Please do share your girl name! I am in need of more girl ideas.

Morgan - Wife to Eldi, Mama to 5 yr old ds Gabriel and baby Lucia, Doula -- my loves!

#22 of 38 Old 08-08-2008, 11:07 PM

I love the name Alejandro, nicknames can be Alex or Alejo.
#23 of 38 Old 08-11-2008, 12:24 PM

Ugh, I totally hear you! We had the same issue for boys names, and most of the ones we found acceptable were biblical, too. Evan/Ivan is one I've heard frequently, and Andre or Andrew would work well, too. Mathias/Mattias isn't that common in either language but works in both, as does Xavier.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#24 of 38 Old 08-11-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by morganeldi View Post
Please do share your girl name! I am in need of more girl ideas.

See Post 19!
#25 of 38 Old 08-11-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusMom View Post
My DH (Dutch) actually, in all seriousness, suggested both Balthazar and Gunderanus .. . no, i repeat, he was not joking . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidspiration View Post
I love the name Alejandro, nicknames can be Alex or Alejo.
It's on the list! Alejandro is a favorite of mine, too...
#26 of 38 Old 08-11-2008, 03:13 PM

I just had to pop in here, I'm from Appalachia and Dh is Hispanic! : I think Gabriel works VERY well.

Also: Ruben, Joaquin, Rafael, Samuel, Leon, Luis, Rey, Lorenzo

Just for clarity - in Dh's family, the men usually go by the English version of their name when English is being spoken, and the Spanish version when Spanish is. So my husband, Adam, becomes Adan. There are several Ramons who also go by Ray-mon (sounds a lot like Raymond). Is that something you're looking for?

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#27 of 38 Old 08-17-2008, 02:02 PM

I'm having the same problemo...my DP is Mexican and i'm from PA. I'm also due in Sept...lol and dont know what the sex is. I've tried to get a name out of DP..but everything i come up with he doesnt like. I really want a bible name that can be pronounced in spanish and english. Our sons name is Isaiah in english and in spanish it is Isaias. His family loves his name. I googled spanish english names and found this great site that lists a ton of names in spanish..her are a few i like:
Boy:
Manuel...Emmanuel
Maximus
Natanael..i like Natanael Reyes as as first and middle name...both are spelled in spanish..english would be Nathaniel
Reyes
Zacarias

Girl:
Bibiana...Viviana
Eve/Eva
Natalia
Nieve(s)
Adelita
Ibbie
Noele...Noelia
My favorite is:Nubia Sol...meaning golden sun
Or Lily Sol
I think i may go for all out spanish name and skip the english part of it.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#28 of 38 Old 08-17-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collinsky View Post
Just for clarity - in Dh's family, the men usually go by the English version of their name when English is being spoken, and the Spanish version when Spanish is. So my husband, Adam, becomes Adan. There are several Ramons who also go by Ray-mon (sounds a lot like Raymond). Is that something you're looking for?
Hard to say what we're looking for... it just seems like a difficult combo- Latino/Appalachian-- ya' know? And the ones that I like best, he's not so into. And vice versa.

To be honest, I think we're gonna go with family names-- grandfathers, most likely. I'm starting to enjoy not having a name, I must admit!! Kind of like not knowing the gender-- and we have seven days after the birth before our HB mw has to send in the paperwork. She said we could take longer, but then would have to go petition for a name change or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
I'm having the same problemo...my DP is Mexican and i'm from PA. I'm also due in Sept...lol and dont know what the sex is. I've tried to get a name out of DP..but everything i come up with he doesnt like. I really want a bible name that can be pronounced in spanish and english. Our sons name is Isaiah in english and in spanish it is Isaias. His family loves his name. I googled spanish english names and found this great site that lists a ton of names in spanish..her are a few i like:
Boy:
Manuel...Emmanuel
Maximus
Natanael..i like Natanael Reyes as as first and middle name...both are spelled in spanish..english would be Nathaniel
Reyes
Zacarias

Girl:
Bibiana...Viviana
Eve/Eva
Natalia
Nieve(s)
Adelita
Ibbie
Noele...Noelia
Or Lily Sol
You've got a great list going! Gabriel seems to be the favorite around here, and I agree it's a perfect fit. Just won't work for us... this thread has other good ideas, too...
#29 of 38 Old 08-17-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
Or Lily Sol
Sol is our next daughter's middle name!

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#30 of 38 Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 AM

My DP name is Gabriel and my ds Gabriel S Isaiah...so we cant go with Gabriel either. I love that name too. I told DP last night about Sol for a middle name for a girl and he likes it....yipee. Finally getting somewhere with the names. He did say he likes Carolina Del Sol....what? Why do we have to have the del part....no thank you. I dont really like Carolina to much.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page