Introducing Arabic... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know of any great websites or resources for teaching Arabic?
My husbands primary language is Arabic, but since I am a SAHM, I see DS more than he does, so he, of course, is primarily speaking English.
I would like to work on teaching him Arabic (and myself for that matter), but am having a hard time finding things that are easy to use and fun too...
TIA!!

Gabriele familybed1.gif DS (11/05) - homeschool.gif computergeek2.gif
...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#2 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 03:35 PM

If you don't mind getting your husband to teach you enough to read them, The Olive Press has some decent translations of classic children's books. There are also pictoral words books like this one. If he's old enough to, you know, not eat them, there is a good magnetic letter set for making words on the refrigerator.
#3 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 04:31 PM

where is your DH's FOO (family of origin)?

My DH's dad brought us some DVD's from Lebanon. they were regionally "locked" so we could only watch them on the computer. Barney and some other ones. My DH is in Lebanon right now and I'm hoping he'll bring home some more. The one FIL brought back was really annoying and it didn't have a "play all"... it was really annoying, every 3 minutes I had to navigate through an Arabic menu (don't read Arabic) and it was really loud-seizure inducingly bright and obnoxious. it was called Be Be (so don't get that one)

Barney was great, but we broke it.
#4 of 17 Old 08-22-2008, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

He's from Jordan.
His brothers are supposed to try to get us some DVD's in Arabic...we do have Finding Nemo in Arabic and DS likes to watch it.
I told him that we needed to see if they had any learning type videos over there as well...like, my DS likes the Leap Frog learning DVD's...so those would be great if they had something similar.

I need to get his First 100 Words in Arabic book back out...I just have a hard time with it b/c I always end up pronouncing it wrong, LOL!! It's a great resource when DH is available though!!

...it is nothing like school, and we are never at home...so why is it called homeschooling?

#5 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 AM

Do you have satellite TV? My kids watch Kids Power on LBC. I'm not much help, though, my kids are speaking English much more than Arabic, even though my dh is a stay-at-home dad and my non-English speaking MIL lives with us.
#6 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm very interested in this! My father-in-law is Palestinian, and I know he'd be thrilled if his grandson learned Arabic. The family lived in Jordan for three years when my husband was a pre-teen, but my husband speaks barely a word of Arabic. I'd love for my son (and us) to learn at least a little basic Arabic.
#7 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 AM

i just wanted to say that this is so cool. it is awesome that your little one will be learning and there are so many ways to get the ball rolling. how cool!

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

#8 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 12:37 PM

OK, for adult and older child learning, Rosetta Stone has a really good arabic software package.

Otherwise, there are some websites (most of which require subscription) but they tend to be religious (usually Muslim) so if that's a problem for you, they might not be useful. I will include the link to the one I'm using right now to teach my kids:

http://www.altilmeedh.com/download.php?file=CnPWords_1
#9 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 PM

Are there any organizations that have language programs/clubs in your area? Such as Jordanian American Club of San Francisco (I made that up maybe there is one?)

My grandparents are Lebanese/Syrian.

My husband is of Italian descent and my children have gone to an Italian language program every Sunday. They also have a toddler/infant program where the parent stays and they sing songs,play and occasionally go on outtings. They also have a library with books, tapes and movies. Good luck, what a great gift you are giving you child.
#10 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 01:51 PM

Hi. I like the printables on this site a lot...

http://yemenlinks.com/Arabic_Resources.htm

And, if your husband would like to read Arabic stories to the kids, you may want to look into a set of these from Scholastic...

http://www.noorart.com/Arabic-Schola...=9&category=36

My daughter's five and loves stories, but her Arabic's at more of a 2-3 yr old level, so my husband reads to her first in Arabic then in English. Fortunately, she likes to hear stories over and over again, so after a while of doing it this way, he's generally able to ease into Arabic only. At that point, they usually add another book to their reading time so she's got one or two she's very familiar with and one that takes a bit more focus.
#11 of 17 Old 08-25-2008, 02:04 PM

The easiest way is for your DH to speak only arabic when he is home! I think that is the only way it will work for your child to speak fluently and w/o an accent!

It will also be a great way for you to learn. The easiest!

All of my kids are bi-lingual. I am here in Germany my Ex is German and I spoke english with the kids and he spoke german. They don't get confused at all. It doesn't matter if your child sees your dh all the time. My ex worked a lot and only saw the kids for a hour or two a day.

I think that if you try to teach the child a foreign language that you don't speak fluently the child won't learn it very easily. Also there will be a huge difference in pronounciation because you will speak it with an accent!

Tell your dh to speak only Arabic starting now!!
#12 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 PM

I have software called Arabic Playhouse which is fun. You can download it for $15.00.

We also watch Alam Simsim on Youtube for free...and have a few CDs.

I just saw this way cool set called Arabian Sinbad's Treasure Chest. It's immersion for kids, but looks fun. If you order from NoorARt right now, they have a 15% discount. You can see samples here... My kids love the Sabah Sabah days of the week song.

https://www.finemediagroup.com/new_site/pages/sinbad

Click on song clips on the right.

My kids also learned the alphabet via this website. It's an animated version of a famous song by Egyptian Mohamed Fawsi.
http://www.funwitharabic.com/song.htm (Note: they say Geem not Jeem... which is an Egyptian thing.)

I wish...wish...wish DH would just speak Arabic to the kids. Sigh!

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#13 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 06:27 PM

Rosetta Stone is a little pricey, but would be great for you both if he's old enough to use a computer or sit with you.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
#14 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmom View Post
And, if your husband would like to read Arabic stories to the kids, you may want to look into a set of these from Scholastic...

http://www.noorart.com/Arabic-Schola...=9&category=36
That set looks awesome.
#15 of 17 Old 08-26-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzy View Post
The easiest way is for your DH to speak only arabic when he is home! I think that is the only way it will work for your child to speak fluently and w/o an accent!
I agree with this. We have friends who are Spanish and Chinese American. Both parents work outside the home. Each parent speaks only their native language to the kids. The kids are pretty much fluent in Chinese, Spanish and English.
#16 of 17 Old 08-30-2008, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

You are all awesome!! Thank you!! I am going to look into all of the things posted!! I am so excited!!
DH has been speaking as much as possible in Arabic to him...he sometimes forgets though, b/c he's used to speaking to ME in English...so we are getting there...I just have to remind him to speak only in Arabic and just keep at it!
Thank you all again for your terrific advice and links!!!

#17 of 17 Old 11-27-2008, 02:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
I just saw this way cool set called Arabian Sinbad's Treasure Chest. It's immersion for kids, but looks fun. If you order from NoorARt right now, they have a 15% discount. You can see samples here... My kids love the Sabah Sabah days of the week song.

https://www.finemediagroup.com/new_site/pages/sinbad
I wanted to update DH is doing MUCH better about speaking daily and DS is SLOWLY picking it up. I also placed my order today for the Arabian Sinbad Learning Chest...

http://www.al-basheer.com/cgi-bin/ca...item=Sinbad001

I ordered from here. They have it on sale for $225 (10% off) and they have a coupon code for an additional 10% that expires ON 12/31/08
Get 10% off any order over $150 - Coupon code: BASH10
AND, just for registering, you get 25000 "points" on their point system and can save an additional $2.50 with just those points...so I got the chest for $200 even!!! :

You can do product reviews and also refer friends to earn more points and save even MORE! It's SO worth it on the more expensive products like the Chest. It says it should ship in 48 hrs and I should receive it within 3-5 days of that, so I will update with my own review soon!! I have only ever found ONE actual "review" and it was good, but just watching the 2 clips of it, I am super excited!!!

:::::::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page