For those with Asian (Hapa?) children..... - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 11-29-2008, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just had to share... remembering the worst thing that's been said about my baby so far... when I was prego, a friend of my sister (she's 15ish) said "what was she thinking, marrying an Asian? Her babies are going to be so funny looking. Why would anybody do that? Yuck!" This coming from somebody who really is hideous both in and out. I was furious, but concluded she must be jealous that I could find such an amazing husband and am having the worlds most beautiful babies.
#62 of 63 Old 11-29-2008, 11:46 AM

i'm white and my partner is filipino, but our little one is still cooking, so we don't know what s/he will look like. i'm guessing pretty pinoy, though. i told him about the "f*cked a korean" comment and he LOVED it.

i think if i ever get the "where did you get your baby" i'll just patiently start explaining the reproductive process. my best friend is half-thai, half-australian living in hawaii. her baby is blonde and blue eyed, with the almond shaped eyes. she gets the "are you the nanny" comments a lot and i know it hurts her. when my DS (who is blonde, blue-eyed, like me) and i were visiting her people assumed her DS was mine.

people have no imagination. and while i think it is largely ignorance, i don't think that means we should just excuse them. ignorance has led to a lot of damaging events in history and unless we stop them and show them how rude it is, it will continue and our kids will keep fighting what we are.
#63 of 63 Old 12-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smylingeyz View Post
I took my husband's name as well. I have gotten a few comments about it, but mostly confused looks. I have very light skin and light blond hair, and Elaina looks totally like her daddy. I get looks all the time, but if I can tell someone's about to comment I try to avoid it by acting unapproachable or I walk away. It just makes me so mad when ignorant people make ridiculous comments, even though they aren't being intentionally racist or anything. It's funny because when I'm out with his family they say she looks white and nothing like them.
I wish everyone (and esp our families) would get over it and stop scrutinizing to see which features are from which race. Our daughter is a beautiful and perfect blend of both of us. I am afraid though, that all the comments and stares will affect her negatively as she gets older. Hopefully we can impart to her a healthy attitude toward all this.
Smylingeyz, this was the way it was for me for about the first year after DD was born; she looked nothing like me, she looked totally like her Japanese dad. I got the curious stares, the comments like “where did you get her”, etc. But as she’s gotten older (she’s now 3.5) she’s started looking more and more like me, and those comments and stares have mostly stopped because it’s more obvious she’s my biological child. It’s a relief, let me tell you, both for me and for her.

whateverdidwants, your response to that person was priceless. It’s amazing how rude people can be, isn’t it??

"Mama, thank you for my little brother!" DD 7/05 DS 6/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page