Braiding daughter's hair a labor of love - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The story is in the pictures for this multiculural family.
Very heartwarming!

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#2 of 9 Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM

My daughter has hair like this little girl and we too have a huge box of hair goodies....i love when i find a product that works. I see they had several bottles from "Carol's daughter" I love that product...i even use it on my hair. I think it's great that dad does her hair...he does a good job at it too.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 9 Old 09-05-2008, 05:15 PM

I love that!!
#4 of 9 Old 09-05-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
My daughter has hair like this little girl and we too have a huge box of hair goodies....i love when i find a product that works. I see they had several bottles from "Carol's daughter" I love that product...i even use it on my hair. I think it's great that dad does her hair...he does a good job at it too.
I think it's wonderful that the dad does it! :
I have curly/kinky hair myself and I know it can be a challenge for parents who don't know how to handle it. Ask my Korean mom.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#5 of 9 Old 09-10-2008, 12:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
This literally brought tears to my eyes. I am African-American and have had many a hair struggle over the years. My half Puerto-Rican daughter has hair not in the least bit like mine own, and her father lets her go out looking like there is no parent in the household who cares (I WOHM and he does not). He would only have to put in a fraction of the time this father does, but simply won't.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#6 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM

honeybun....have you showed him how to pull it up in a pony tail...some dads have no clue and just leave it rather than trying to figure it out. Maybe you could sit him down one day while your doing it and walk him through the basics of a pony tail? Or even a scarf over her hair and tying it in the back? Once i showed my DP it was much easier and at least he tried. When your daughter gets around 7-8 years old she will start to try doing her own hair and it will be much easier then. Hugs mama.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#7 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3wild ponnie View Post
honeybun....have you showed him how to pull it up in a pony tail...some dads have no clue and just leave it rather than trying to figure it out. Maybe you could sit him down one day while your doing it and walk him through the basics of a pony tail? Or even a scarf over her hair and tying it in the back? Once i showed my DP it was much easier and at least he tried. When your daughter gets around 7-8 years old she will start to try doing her own hair and it will be much easier then. Hugs mama.
I have. To me, it's as simple as wrapping a rubber band around a handful of pencils. Around a newspaper if he had a paper route as a boy. I just don't get the difficulty. We're not asking for french braids or cornrows. Really, though, since her hair is curly, I think he's afraid of hurting her when he combs it. And we've been through that. Spray it with detangler or combo of water and conditioner (I keep both handy in spray bottles). Use the wide tooth comb. Then the finer tooth comb. Slap on hair band, and voila! He was watching intently the other night (I try to put it in a style that will last through the night in the event I leave before she rises in the morning) as I took each pony tail and twisted it around itself and secured with bobby pins. DD and I call this her "mouse ears" hairdo!

I'm just frustrated with what I see as a lack of willingness to try and a greater willingness to let her go out looking unkept. If this father - who had no involvement in creating his child's crown - can get it and take on the responsibility and bonding ritual of doing it, surely he can too.

The scarf is a good idea - thank you! Maybe I'll knit her some kerchiefs.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#8 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 06:33 PM

that was such a sweet photo essay! It reminded me of when I was little. My Dad is AA but his side of the family has straight hair (Creole from Louisiana) and my mom died when I was just 7 months old. My Dad did my hair and my sister's til he remarried when I was 6 and the scene was not much different than this one

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
#9 of 9 Old 09-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Wow, her hair is gorgeous. I occasionally visit a long hair forum and there are ladies with similar hair who would be sooo jealous of her.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page