Sid the Science Kid (PBS) looks to have parents of different ethnicities - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just a heads up. I couldn't find reference to this new kids' show here, but "Sid, the Science Kid" on PBS looks like his mom might be loosely African American and his dad looks to be white. Hard to say since they're muppety cartoons and Sid and his mom have navy blue hair, but looks like it to me. Sid and his mom are darker and his dad and little sib are lighter with orange hair. It's a fun little show (for the young set) and thought it might be nice for some kids to see families sorta like theirs in all different colors.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#2 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing. I think it's great that they're doing it. I just don't like the noses on some of them... Kinda clown-like... creepy. But it is a great show. Sid's a pretty bright kiddo.

:Pagan Mom to Danny and Mal , Wife to Charles Pet Parent to kitty Paige.
#3 of 18 Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM

DH and I commented on that when we watched it, too. Kinda nice, agreed.
#4 of 18 Old 10-10-2008, 09:01 PM

I wonder if any of you have heard of the Disney channel show called Jake Long: American Dragon? If I'm not mistaken, he's also biracial; his mom is asian and his dad looks to be white.
#5 of 18 Old 10-14-2008, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I think that's right. My dd loves the show. She and dh made popsicles the other day after seeing it on the show.

Oh, and Princess Pea on . . . what is that show? The kids go into a story book each episode and find super letters . . . yes! Super Why! She seems to be biracial as well. Always wondered about those green eyes until the episode with her parents aired.

Then there's Martha the Talking Dog. Not a fan, but dd is. The mother is latina.

Mama to add 10/05; ds 3/09, and two angels
#6 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Oh, I didn't know Princess Pea was biracial! My DD likes that show.
#7 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=honeybunmom;12383895]
Oh, and Princess Pea on . . . what is that show? [QUOTE]

Super Readers?
#8 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 05:57 PM

This is dd's most favorite new show ever!~ Dh hadn't seen it but heard dd talking about it. He was so funny, "is this actually a show with diversity??"

I like the songs, they are catchy. Dd's watching right now, "Iiiiii'm lookin for my friends!"
#9 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 PM

I find Sid's voice a little creepy. : But yes, I did notice that his mom seems to be black and his dad seems to be white.
I also think the that 2 of the characters in Higglytown Heroes might be biracial. I forget their names because I hate the show.

Sheila, mother to William and Min Hee, wife of David
#10 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 07:39 PM

[QUOTE=prettyflwrs;12435314][QUOTE=honeybunmom;12383895]
Oh, and Princess Pea on . . . what is that show?
Quote:

Super Readers?
Super Why! I noticed that the other day about Sid, and I thought it was great.

I don't usually hang out here, but the thread caught my eye.
#11 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 PM

oh! I acually thought the show was called super readers! My DD loves the dances they do.

I need to pay more attention to the shows. Now I know. Thanks.
#12 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyflwrs View Post
oh! I acually thought the show was called super readers! My DD loves the dances they do.

I need to pay more attention to the shows. Now I know. Thanks.
Ds just loves that show, and he was just asking me this morning how to spell Super Why's name. That's why it sticks in my mind. They sing a lot about the Super Readers in it, so it would be a reasonable guess. I think I may just know too much about kids' tv. lol
#13 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 11:22 PM

yeah, I noticed that too very cool. I think grandma is African American-ish too,
i think, I like that there is no real defined racial roles and you can kinda suggest diversity with out it having to be the central issue of the show....
#14 of 18 Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 PM

I noticed that Sid and Princess Pea are biracial. I think it is wonderful! Dd loves these shows. I think Sid is so adorable and I love the songs.

Marissa - Wife to Keith 6/28/03 and Mommy to Sienna 3/17/06 and Carter 5/10/08 born on his due date!
I love being a SAHM!  EPed with dd.  Breastfed for 2 years with ds.   
#15 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM

DS loves Sid, and I agree about the noses being creepy.
#16 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 PM

Thought I'd also add....I think it's awesome, dad is like a construction type worker and Mom is some kind of executive.

Other then those slight things, I love this show. the kids are all so different and are all great. Favorite show I think. It causes me to think about new ways to explore science with my son.
#17 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 10:49 PM

I don't usually hang out in this forum, but when I saw Sid's name, I just had to check out the thread. I didn't catch the race when I watched it, but that could be because my toddler just loves the show and goes between constant chattering to the TV and standing directly in front of it. However, I did notice that Pea is biracial in Super Why! (another HUGE favorite over here).

The funny thing is that I think my son is too young to connect race unless he knows someone; for example, we don't watch Little Einsteins but calls Quincy the same name as his best friend who is biracial black/hispanic when he sees the toys in the store. Quincy's skin tone is WAY darker than his friend's, but since Quincy is a boy and friend is a boy, they are the same. Not so with Pea, and I think it's because she's a girl, even though her skin tone and is right on with his friend's. Hmm, I'll have to pay attention as he gets older and see if he makes the connection or if he keeps the gender and race connected.
#18 of 18 Old 10-22-2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post
Just a heads up. I couldn't find reference to this new kids' show here, but "Sid, the Science Kid" on PBS looks like his mom might be loosely African American and his dad looks to be white. Hard to say since they're muppety cartoons and Sid and his mom have navy blue hair, but looks like it to me. Sid and his mom are darker and his dad and little sib are lighter with orange hair. It's a fun little show (for the young set) and thought it might be nice for some kids to see families sorta like theirs in all different colors.
I noticed that when I first saw it. sup:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page