What is special and great about where you live? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll start.

A small thing. I love that after dinner, everyone says "Thank you for the meal". It shows an appreciation for the time and effort that the cook has made to provide you with food.

A medium thing. I can leave work at 3:30 to pick up my children, or come in late if I have to take them to the doctor, without it jeopardizing my career in any way. Excessive working is looked down upon as not healthy. Even my boss's boss is expected to put family first and job second. And on the rare occasions when you put your job first, it is appreciated.

A big thing. I love that the daycare here is respectful of the needs of the individual child. It is staffed with warm, friendly, caring teachers and assistants. Every day the children are outside, taking a walk in the woods, or a field trip to the ocean or the circus or just to another playground. Instead of required math problems and reading exercises, four and five year olds are building things, painting, reading or listening to a story IF THEY WANT, really learning how to socialize, enjoy and respect one another. This isn't my kids daycare only, it is all daycare. And it doesn't cost a fortune.

I just wanted a positive thread!
#2 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 09:37 AM

I appreciate the same three things about Norway as you do about Denmark.

My husband is English, and they believe themselves to be the politest people in the world, yet they don't say "Thank you for the meal" which is so essential for us Norwegians / Danes.

In addition I very much appreciate our excellent national health service which makes sure that I, who have cancer (at the moment but not much longer I hope!), have a legal right to treatment within two weeks of diagnosis at a price of maximum USD 399 per year (including travel and parking costs).

And we have four distinct, beautiful seasons! :
#3 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
I'll start.

A small thing. I love that after dinner, everyone says "Thank you for the meal". It shows an appreciation for the time and effort that the cook has made to provide you with food.

A medium thing. I can leave work at 3:30 to pick up my children, or come in late if I have to take them to the doctor, without it jeopardizing my career in any way. Excessive working is looked down upon as not healthy. Even my boss's boss is expected to put family first and job second. And on the rare occasions when you put your job first, it is appreciated.

A big thing. I love that the daycare here is respectful of the needs of the individual child. It is staffed with warm, friendly, caring teachers and assistants. Every day the children are outside, taking a walk in the woods, or a field trip to the ocean or the circus or just to another playground. Instead of required math problems and reading exercises, four and five year olds are building things, painting, reading or listening to a story IF THEY WANT, really learning how to socialize, enjoy and respect one another. This isn't my kids daycare only, it is all daycare. And it doesn't cost a fortune.

I just wanted a positive thread!
I live in Holland and I have pretty much the same things to be grateful for as the OP and rabbitmum, especially the options for PT work, family friendly business policies, universal health coverage, and the play-based pre-K/kindergarten. No pressure to be academic at such a young age! In Holland, they usually say, "eat well" rather than "thank you for the meal" but it's still a nice acknowledgment.

I also like that we can live in an environmentally friendly way relatively easily. We don't need to drive and have a very old car just for an occasional trip further afield. We bike or take public transport almost everywhere.

We seriously thought about moving to the US (where I'm from) as it would be better for my career, but I honestly don't think it would be better for my family. Don't get my wrong . .. there's a lot I don't like here, for sure! And the biking gets old when, like today, there is a steady, cold drizzle, but, on the whole, it's a better place to raise a family.
#4 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 PM

I'm in Calgary, Alberta and live about 50 minutes away from the Rocky Mountains. I can see them whenever I ride the bus and although it's not easy for me to get there it sure is nice to see the sunrise on snow-capped mountains.

I also live close to a river and it's autumn, so I love to take walks on these last livable days of the season and watch DD enjoy the ducks, geese and the horses that are along some of the paths.

As far as daycare and healthcare, I think we have a ways to go but I'm thankful that anything I really need is covered and won't come out of pocket. Especially in these tough economic times.
#5 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 PM

I live in such a really diverse community!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page