Death by black hole - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought some of you with astronomy-minded kids (or parents ) might enjoy this talk from Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, about, well, what dying in a black hole would feel like, among other astrophysical things. He's quite an engaging speaker, to say the least

Viewer beware: his description is a little, well, graphic, of how exactly you would die, and of global disaster scenarios, so maybe not for the younger or more sensitive child
#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
Thought some of you with astronomy-minded kids (or parents ) might enjoy this talk from Neil DeGrasse Tyson, the director of the Hayden Planetarium, about, well, what dying in a black hole would feel like, among other astrophysical things. He's quite an engaging speaker, to say the least

Viewer beware: his description is a little, well, graphic, of how exactly you would die, and of global disaster scenarios, so maybe not for the younger or more sensitive child

I took my son to his lecture and book signing when this book came out! He signed it to my son and was so cool and really listened and answered his questions...if anyone ever has a chance to take a child to one of his lectures he is fabulous...Even though the audience was 98% adult he specifically at the end said he'd like to hear questions from the 'young people in the audience" The book is great too...My son will forever know how fast a frozen pizza would take to cook on Venus lol.

My son wanted these smilies here
#3 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larksongs View Post
I took my son to his lecture and book signing when this book came out! He signed it to my son and was so cool and really listened and answered his questions...if anyone ever has a chance to take a child to one of his lectures he is fabulous...Even though the audience was 98% adult he specifically at the end said he'd like to hear questions from the 'young people in the audience" The book is great too...My son will forever know how fast a frozen pizza would take to cook on Venus lol.
How lucky for you, he's such an engaging speaker. My ds and I want to go to the Hayden Planetarium, it sounds wicked cool.

How long does it take to cook a frozen pizza on Venus, btw?
#4 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM

Cool I'm emailing the link to dd. Thanks!
#5 of 5 Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alima View Post
How lucky for you, he's such an engaging speaker. My ds and I want to go to the Hayden Planetarium, it sounds wicked cool.

How long does it take to cook a frozen pizza on Venus, btw?

7 seconds! Look on his web site..He is often doing a talk of some kind, gives them all over the place.. This month we are going to try and make it to a book talk that he's giving downtown.

The Hayden Planetarium is fun. It's a great museum. We had a membership there for years which just lapsed I liked having the membership especially for the lectures. It's good stuff.

My son wanted these smilies here

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page