What does your Unschooler want to be when they grow up? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 04-20-2009, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyRev View Post
I don't want a dog though. I feel like I'm going to ruin her life if I don't get her a dog. UGH! When she's old enough maybe I can hook up some volunteer opportunities with lots of dogs.
LOL...I know how you feel I really did not want a dog, but I broke down and got one I had some very specific guidelines to follow - small, no shedding, couch potato dog....and we found one that fits those nicely. And hey, its not so bad. She loves that dog so much! I see how it enriches her life (and the other kids too), but I also see how MY quality of life would decrease if the dog was a pain in the a..!
#62 of 84 Old 05-06-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagMom View Post
I was thinking, recently, that it's so much easier on kids who decide to go to college at 18. Even if they don't know what they want to do, it buys them four more years because they're "doing something" by being in college. When a child doesn't choose college, everyone wants to know what they're going to do with their lives. At least, that's been my experience, with an almost 18 y/o non-college bound kid.
I think it buys time in other people's eyes. But, I would much rather not rush my kid's into college, but let them continue to have other life experiences if they want it. Like a service year or working or volunteering in different jobs that interest them. Personally, I went to college because it was expected and I feel like I "rushed" into picking a career before I had experienced enough outside of my home. I don't think it was a waste of time or anything, but I often think about how things might have been different even if I had just waited one year to go to college... just a thought.
#63 of 84 Old 05-06-2009, 07:30 PM

I totally agree about waiting on college. :
#64 of 84 Old 05-22-2009, 01:50 AM

My 4 yo just revised her goal... now she wants to be "the person who makes colors." :

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#65 of 84 Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 PM

My DD is only three but she's sure she wants to be a ballerina

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#66 of 84 Old 05-23-2009, 05:02 AM

DD1 - 12 - Hasn't decided since she likes so many things
DD2 - 10 - Photographer
DS1 -6 - A dad
#67 of 84 Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clraelle View Post
DS1 -6 - A dad
funny, I'm noticing lots of kids want to do the same as my kids, even though I thought some of them were unusual, like two of my kids talk about how they would love to open up a vegan restaurant as apparently another couple of siblings would like... one even enjoys serving tables!... and also I see my son isn't the only one who wants to be a dad, he's four but he's been saying this for awhile, more recently he said he'd like to fix things but not as a career, he insists the only job he wants is 'Dad'

My 13yo wants to be famous... dancer, writer, musician, actress, but she also wants to teach (she hopes her fame won't distract her students)

My 11yo has wanted to be president since she was 4yo, but a couple years ago also expressed interest in becoming a midwife although she wonders how she can manage being on call for babies with a law practice (being a lawyer is part of her presidential master plan). I think her main focus is that she wants to protect everyone... the country, defendents, babies...
#68 of 84 Old 05-24-2009, 01:35 AM

Ds (17) wants to be a musician. Well, he already is one (he plays guitar/writes songs); he just doesn't get paid for it yet! When he was 5-8, he was obsessed w/ weather and natural disasters, and wanted to be a storm chaser.

Dd (12) wants to be an Olympic show jumper and/or a graphic artist.
#69 of 84 Old 05-25-2009, 05:44 AM

For the last few years, ds (11) has wanted to be a voice actor. What a cool goal.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#70 of 84 Old 05-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh View Post
4.5 yr old - A princess.

2.5 yr old - A kitty.

We encourage our kids to dream big.
:

Laura WAHM to Mar 03/01/05 and Evie 05/14/08, partner to Craig
#71 of 84 Old 05-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flower01 View Post
I think it buys time in other people's eyes. But, I would much rather not rush my kid's into college, but let them continue to have other life experiences if they want it. Like a service year or working or volunteering in different jobs that interest them. Personally, I went to college because it was expected and I feel like I "rushed" into picking a career before I had experienced enough outside of my home. I don't think it was a waste of time or anything, but I often think about how things might have been different even if I had just waited one year to go to college... just a thought.
I completely agree.

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#72 of 84 Old 05-26-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bente View Post
LOL...I know how you feel I really did not want a dog, but I broke down and got one I had some very specific guidelines to follow - small, no shedding, couch potato dog....and we found one that fits those nicely. And hey, its not so bad. She loves that dog so much! I see how it enriches her life (and the other kids too), but I also see how MY quality of life would decrease if the dog was a pain in the a..!
lol: That's true. You gotta get a dog you love, because any animal is a family animal.

My mother was a 'good' mother, and I lurve her and we get along well. But she never allowed pets, and I often felt sad about that as a child.

Of course, now I am a grown- up and I have 2 dogs, 3 cats, a rabbit, and turkey, plus chickens of various breeds. I don't hate my mother or anything. LOL

Funny thing is, my mother now has a tiny dog. Which she dressses up. The dog has a tutu. Her dh thinks it's the funniest thing. Everyone comes around...
#73 of 84 Old 05-26-2009, 07:34 PM

DD, age 7, wants to be a musician, veterinarian and an artist, all while she fosters animals (cats, dogs, bunnies, etc.).

DS, age 10, wants to be an inventor/scientist/engineer.
#74 of 84 Old 05-27-2009, 12:52 AM

I am loving this thread!!!

DD (8) wants to be a biodynamic farmer. We eat pretty TF and support local farmers/ranchers and it has been a focus of hers for a while now. She has been in gymnastics this past year and wanted to be a gymnast (that farmed on the side) (ot, but her bio dad actually told her to stop homeschooling and go to ps because you *had* to in order to be a gymnast or farmer <end rant>) Anyway, the other day we were weeding in the garden and talking about how the farms we support work and she said, with a deep sigh, "screw gymnastics, I want to be a farmer" lol

DS(6.75) says "Artist Karate Person" He is very, very artistic, and quite good in his karate class, so....

DS(2) thought it was hilarious when I told him a kid on this thread wants to be an airplane (he *loves* airplanes!) and said he wanted too, as well.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#75 of 84 Old 05-27-2009, 03:53 PM

DS 5 wants to be a rock star (he vascillates between the drums, the guitar, and the banjo), a bus driver, or a bicycle mechanic (like his dad).

DD 3 wants to be a princess . I haven't really pressed her on what she thinks a princess DOES all day.

Jill, wife to J, mama to O (10/03), MK (7/05), angel1.gif(7/09), A (5/4/10), and ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***stork-suprise.gif** 

#76 of 84 Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 AM

Funny this should come up, as just the other day my 7 yo ds told us the following: "when I grow up I want to be an astronaut, but if NASA is full, I want to smash stuff, but if smashing stuff is full, I'll join Indiana Jones." good to cover all your bases.

My 9 yo dd has wanted to be an actor since she was about 5, and has been in drama and theatre programs since then. She really likes it, and is pretty happy that it doesn't require any math.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#77 of 84 Old 05-28-2009, 04:22 PM

3.5 year old wants to be either a 'ninja' or a 'pirate'.
#78 of 84 Old 05-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Last week dd (4) said, "I want to be a mermaid when I grow up." She then looked at me with a serious expression and said, "Um, how do you become one of those?"

Ds (5) wants to be either an attorney like daddy or a University of Kentucky basketball player.
#79 of 84 Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dc (4) wants to be a farmer. We're learning about permaculture together.
#80 of 84 Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM

DS1 wants to be a farmer & supply food for DS2's restaurant. They decided to both work both jobs & DD wants to be the chef & gardener!
#81 of 84 Old 06-02-2009, 03:36 AM

Our three oldest boys want to be barbarians when they grow up. They know the steps and are taking them each with diligence (and patiently waiting too, of course. Some things take time.). They tell everyone this.

We never talk about what people do by summing it up in the label or title of their jobs, so our boys just talk about the things they'll do when they are able based on whatever skills they have yet to master to accomplish their goals. Their lists are long.

My list is also very long. Still.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#82 of 84 Old 06-06-2009, 02:42 AM

We have a zookeeper/flower gardener and a shooter boy. I'm going to guess shooter boy might mean a career in the military.

Welcome to the Real World she said to me, condescendingly, take a seat. Take your life; plot it out in black and white.
#83 of 84 Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 AM

My oldest wants to be an actor or something in the gaming world, my middle will probably do something sciencey (either chemistry or biology) and my youngest likes to build things - and dance.

Time will tell

Kathy
#84 of 84 Old 06-09-2009, 12:47 PM

When people ask DS if he's going to be an artist when he grows up he says "Well, i already am, so...(rolls his eyes)." He's also going to make Godzilla movies, and he may open a Godzilla themed restaurant.

punk rock mom to Milo, my unschooling anarchist snuggle buddy :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page