Best Places to Live and Unschool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you think the best places to live and unschool are?

I have been thinking about where I would like to live. Right now I am considering Maui, Hawaii and Portland or Eugene, Oregon.

My ideal home would be a place with:
lots of resources and support for unschooling
a cost of living that is not too high
Green-forests for hiking and generally green/lush landscape (waterfalls a plus)
Open minded people
Someplace with an intimate feeling (not a big city)
A place that doesn't generally get too cold

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-16-2009, 08:26 PM
 
KaraBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alb-uh-kirk-ee
Posts: 4,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
taking notes on this as well...

There are a lot of homeschoolers where I live but man, the weather is just so dry. It's terrible. Plus, I don't see a lot of cohesiveness in the hs community. There are lots of groups but not much cross-over. This is all my opinion, of course.
KaraBoo is offline  
Old 02-16-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been living in Boulder for a few months. There are many things I love about this area, but the landscape and climate are too dry for it to ever feel like home. I have heard great things about both Portland and Eugene, but I have never been to either place. I did live in Seattle (prior to having kids,) and I heard that they have a similar feel. My brother is living on Maui, and loves it. The cost of living would be high there, but it is also possible to live simply (hiking and swimming for fun; year round gardening; wild mangoes, bananas, etc.) It doesn't seem like there is much of an unschooling community on the Island, though.

KaraBoo-I love the quote in your siggy.

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 12:59 AM
 
mamarhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 3,064
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I am in Portland, and LOVE it!



The community is welcoming, kids out during the day are not too unusual, and we have access to about anything you could want. The cost of living isn't very low, but I am getting by unworking - cobbling together a dozen projects. There are weird little pockets of cool neighborhoods scattered around. I live in an amazing 100 year old 5 bedroom house on 3 acres right in town, on the bus line no less, that I rent for about $1500/month. Weird and eccentric people aren't too unusual

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

mamarhu is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 04:10 AM
 
cottonwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are looking for a small town in Oregon, intimate feel, lots of unschoolers, I'd recommend Corvallis. It rains a lot here (sigh) but if you've lived in Seattle, you already know what that's like. Eugene is bigger than Corvallis, it's not any more progressive politically, but it does have more of an alternative culture. I think it's expensive (that goes for all of the PNW,) but moving from Boulder you might not think so.

I'm interested to see other responses, because I'd like to stay in the PNW, but wonder about cheaper, sunnier areas. I've been casually looking into Medford, which is a drier climate (sunnier) and has a lot of old houses that are not so expensive, and it's close to Ashland where the Shakespearean Festival is. I've had Bend recommended to me, but I'm skeptical, as that's more desert area and also a newer town.
cottonwood is offline  
Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 AM
 
Whistler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Gem State
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live over in Moscow, ID which is a little dot of culture in the middle of wheatfields. It does get dry and cold here, so it may not be what you're looking for, but for intimacy and crunchiness, you can hardly do better!

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

Whistler is offline  
Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please tell me about your unworking experience. What you do, and how it is going?

I am seriously considering Maui.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I am in Portland, and LOVE it!



The community is welcoming, kids out during the day are not too unusual, and we have access to about anything you could want. The cost of living isn't very low, but I am getting by unworking - cobbling together a dozen projects. There are weird little pockets of cool neighborhoods scattered around. I live in an amazing 100 year old 5 bedroom house on 3 acres right in town, on the bus line no less, that I rent for about $1500/month. Weird and eccentric people aren't too unusual

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 01:45 PM
 
kimmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We travel/V full time. So home is where you park it for us!!!!! We have been spending bigger chunks of time in certain places but just LOVE being mobile! Eventually we will settle down on Vancouver Island in the Cowichan Valley most likely where we are from!

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
kimmom is offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm also in Corvallis Oregon, and highly recommend it

I was born here, went to PS here, and am just now beginning to unschool my DS here. Corvallis has - a small town feel, doesn't get too cold (I don't think I've ever seen it below 20 degrees here) and has great summer weather. Also, within an hour and a half you have: the mountains, including the PCT (pacific crest trail) Silver Creek Falls (a easy hiking trail 7.5 miles long with 7 waterfalls!) as well as many other waterfalls, large and small (Salt Creek Falls is the second tallest in Oregon, and offers many hiking trails, other waterfalls to see). Also, the beach is about an hour away, including the well-known Oregon Coast Aquarium, which is a learning-oriented aquarium, and has many places to camp (legally, or on the beach if you want to chance it - I've camped on the beach many times and never had any issues).

There's also Eugene about 30 minutes away, which has some great music venues, and Portland, about 1.5 hours away, which has the Oregon Zoo, OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry), which is completely kid-friendly, and Powell's Bookstore, the largest bookstore in the world.

Corvallis also offers a large Farmer's Market that runs mid-April until the weekend before Thanksgiving. You can also buy cheeses, meats, wine and other foodstuffs at the Market.

Corvallis is a very intellectual community, with events such as da Vinci Days, a local, 3 day long festival of vendors, music, and science-y type events and booths, as well a a parade of 'da Vinci's machines.' We have a really big library, an arts center where kids can take ballet, ceramics, and other class for about $60 a term, and a sports park, which offers soccer, among other sports for kids, for about $50 per term (14-16 lessons).

Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I love it here, and highly recommend it, so long as you don't convince a bunch of people from California to move here JK!

Also, there's a big, supportive group of unschoolers in town, who try to get together often. We're crunchy, artsy, laid-back, fun people around here

I think Corvallis is cheaper than Eugene - you can rent a 3 bedroom house here for under $1,000 in a nice neighborhood with a big backyard, but I don't think you could find that (in a nice neighborhood) in Eugene, based on what I've heard.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:42 PM
 
mamarhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Posts: 3,064
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahimsa View Post
Please tell me about your unworking experience. What you do, and how it is going?

I am seriously considering Maui.
Well, unworking for me compares to a job like unschooling compares to school. I do take a job occassionally, and I have loved some of them, just like I have loved some school experiences (I got my degree online at 50!) But I don't look at an outside job as an expected given in my life. I have a couple unofficial home businesses - I raise and train baby parrots for sale, and I make baby clothes that I sell at street fairs and the like. The bird business especially is a luxury-oriented business, and really struggling in the current economic situation. I am shifting the baby clothes business over to mainly items made from recycled adult clothes, t-shirts and Hawaiian shirts mainly, which is ecologically sound, as well as a smaller investment in materials for me. It is taking me some time to build up an inventory, but I expect to be ready for the summer season, and then the holidays next year. I have a minimal stipend for the care of foster children, but that hardly covers my kid's expenses. I have one kid who receives social security disability, but that goes almost entirely to his tutors. I am also facilitating some parenting classes, for a small but welcome fee, through the foster care agency. My 13 year old BigGirl provides childcare during classes - a win-win situation.

I try to live frugally - growing and canning fruits and veggies, hens for eggs, and I am considering a couple dairy goats this spring, for milk and cheese. Portland is fairly livestock friendly for a major urban area (they allow a total of 3 animals in the poultry/goats/rabbits category. My property has 3 houses on it, so I can have 9 total, because my neighbors don't want any). 5 or 6 laying hens is all I need, so I think a couple small goats would be a good idea this year. We'll see.

I think of my financial life a bit like a quilt - I find and piece together all sorts of little scraps, and somehow it comes together, bigger and warmer and more beautiful than I expected. But I never know what it will look like ahead of time. I suppose not everyone would be comfortable enough with so little security, but it really isn't much different from trusting that kids will learn what they need. We have some leaner times, and occassionally I get worried and apply for jobs, but something always comes through.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

mamarhu is offline  
Old 02-22-2009, 09:59 PM
 
KaraBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alb-uh-kirk-ee
Posts: 4,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post
I think of my financial life a bit like a quilt - I find and piece together all sorts of little scraps, and somehow it comes together, bigger and warmer and more beautiful than I expected.
That is absolutely beautiful.
KaraBoo is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
 
Nani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 792
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in San Francisco and it's a fabulous place for unschooling, we have beaches, mountains, lots of kids museums like the Exploratorium, Bay Area Discovery Museum, the Randall Museum, etc. Also, I live right by the woods and started a group called Presidio Wild Child, where we play in the forest or on the beach.
Of course ya'll know about the open-minded people here :

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
Nani is offline  
Old 02-23-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know what Milwaukee, Oregon is like? I did this survey at findyourspot.com, and the #1 suggestion was Milwaukie, Oregon. A number of other Oregon towns and cities came up (including Eugene and Portland), as well as Maui, Hawaii. I have been giving it a lot of thought, and I am leaning towards somewhere in Oregon. I have thought of moving there off and on for the past several years. When I lived in Seattle, I loved it.

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-24-2009, 01:29 AM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Milwaukie is right in the middle of I-5, I-205 and I-84 up in the Portland metro area. So, in other words, between 5-9 am and 2-6pm, it'll take you forever to get anywhere. If you're considering the Portland area, I recommend Tualitan or Wilsonville, which are south of Portland a little, and have less traffic issues. Of course, if you have to drive into Portland for work anyway, it'd be better to be closer in.

That being said, I kind of remember the Milwaukie area as being a little older and run-down. Lake Oswego is a few miles from there, and a much nicer area. I used to live in Tualitan, and unless you dig the city, I'd recommed Eugene or Corvallis before the Portland area. They are much more peaceful places than P-town.

A side note: I did the find your place thing too, a while back, and I think the criteria they use can skew your results one way or another - for example, if you say you want to be close to a big medical center (like OHSU - a research hospital), that automatically rules out Corvallis and Eugene, even though we have great hospitals around here.

Just sayin'

Hey! This is my 200th post!!!

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Millie Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, while I never really loved the idea of Texas, it actually is a good fit for many reasons. The laws are really easy here, there are plenty of unschoolers in and around dfw where we live, it does get insanely hot for a couple months in the summer but there is rarely a day during the year where we cant get out and about and spend time outdoors. Cost of living is very low compared to other metropolitan areas. There is quite a big "green" movement. around here.

I live in a pretty upscale, soccer mom area which has it's obvious drawbacks, but I am also 20 minutes from a cool groovy college town, 20 minutes from downtown dallas, 20 minutes from a great farmers market. We have woods and trails within walking distance, parks, great libraries, zoos and childrens museums. I have sources for raw milk, local eggs, get meat from local farms.

If you go about an hour out of Dallas there are a lot of smaller country/ranch little towns with more room to breathe.


Drawbacks for me- it's not as liberal or open minded as I am, there are huge vast amounts of very conservative groups, and I am viewed as incredibly odd by some. But there are also lots of people like me and I have found them.

The 6-8 weeks of 100+ weather isn't ideal in my mind either, but mom has a pool and we spend a lot of time in it in the summer. And again, there is rarely a day throughtout the entire year when we can't be outdoors.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Millie Ivy is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 05:51 PM
 
cottonwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 7,153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
That being said, I kind of remember the Milwaukie area as being a little older and run-down. Lake Oswego is a few miles from there, and a much nicer area.
I don't know anything about Milwaukie, but old and run-down isn't necessarily a bad thing -- sometimes it means old, classic architecture for cheap, and a community of progressives. I'm thinking of going and checking it out now. Lake Oswego is EXPENSIVE and relatively conservative. That's where the rich people live.
cottonwood is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Haha, my bias towards Corvallis and Eugene is showing :

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am becoming convinced that Oregon is the place for me. I am now considering Portland (or Milwaukie), Covallis, or Eugene. I am researching all three, and I have joined yahoo unschooling groups for all three places. So far Corvallis is really drawing my attention. I like that it is between Portland and Eugene; that its a small, but crunchy town; and that the unschooling community looks like a good one.

Do any of you Oregon mammas want to add any more thoughts to consider about these places?

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 07:18 PM
 
KaraBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Alb-uh-kirk-ee
Posts: 4,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the unschooling climate like in Corvallis? (from what you can gather from the yahoo group)
KaraBoo is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So far, it looks really good. I just joined the groups, so I am still getting a feel for them, but I most drawn to the Corvallis group.

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 PM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay Corvallis We'd LOVE to have you. Another thing that I forgot to mention is that Corvallis has an amazing restaurant scene for a town our size. I know of at least 10 places that serve local, sustainable foods. And we a a vegan/vegetarian restaurant here as well that's been in business for over 30 years, as well as a couple other heavily-leaning vegetarian restaurants.

A note on the Corvallis Yahoo unschoolers: a bunch of us aren't on that group, but are pretty active in how often we see each other and so forth. I just started unschooling last week (yay!) and could not have felt more welcomed or happy to have connected with tham :

fourlittlebirds, who has also been replying to your thread, is from here too, and she's a super-sweet mama IMHO.

Anyway, I think the local unschooling group is awesome. The people I've met so far are pretty casual about unschooling (in a good way - all their kids are intelligent, happy people), and as a result, some of the most mellow, content people (them and their kids) that I've ever met.

PM if you want more info

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMae09 View Post
Anyway, I think the local unschooling group is awesome. The people I've met so far are pretty casual about unschooling (in a good way - all their kids are intelligent, happy people), and as a result, some of the most mellow, content people (them and their kids) that I've ever met.

PM if you want more info
That is good to know. I am pretty casual about unschooling. I unschooled myself for the last few years of high school (after reading John Holt and The Teenage Liberation Handbook), so it is just natural to me. I see unschooling as a journey with many possibilities. I believe the heart of it is about learning to live and create ones life and follow ones passions. I am still on my own path of lifelong learning and self discovery.

My current lease ends in November, so my goal is to move then.

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 03:04 AM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We'd love to have you

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 11:47 AM
 
Millie Ivy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: TX
Posts: 3,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damnit. Now I want to move.....

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

Millie Ivy is offline  
Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
 
Ahimsa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 963
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Boulder is actually a really great place to unschool and live. If it was lush and green with forests and waterfalls I would just stay here. It has great open minded people, universities, an unschooling group, and the landscape is beautiful in its own way.

Mother to two great kids. &
Ahimsa is offline  
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM
 
littlelentils's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 659
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella Babe View Post
Well, while I never really loved the idea of Texas, it actually is a good fit for many reasons. The laws are really easy here, there are plenty of unschoolers in and around dfw where we live, it does get insanely hot for a couple months in the summer but there is rarely a day during the year where we cant get out and about and spend time outdoors. Cost of living is very low compared to other metropolitan areas. There is quite a big "green" movement. around here.

I live in a pretty upscale, soccer mom area which has it's obvious drawbacks, but I am also 20 minutes from a cool groovy college town, 20 minutes from downtown dallas, 20 minutes from a great farmers market. We have woods and trails within walking distance, parks, great libraries, zoos and childrens museums. I have sources for raw milk, local eggs, get meat from local farms.

If you go about an hour out of Dallas there are a lot of smaller country/ranch little towns with more room to breathe.


Drawbacks for me- it's not as liberal or open minded as I am, there are huge vast amounts of very conservative groups, and I am viewed as incredibly odd by some. But there are also lots of people like me and I have found them.

The 6-8 weeks of 100+ weather isn't ideal in my mind either, but mom has a pool and we spend a lot of time in it in the summer. And again, there is rarely a day throughtout the entire year when we can't be outdoors.
hey there! i moved to this area of tx in august and it is def more liberal than i expected!! i am in fort worth and am glad to know that there unschoolers in the area. we are loving it here. i just wish there were more outdoor things to do (mountains, snow, beach, etc).


 

littlelentils is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
 
Danidama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am So excited to see this thread! I grew up in Seattle and so love Oregon of course, but I moved to Arlington, va, when I was 18 and have been here since 2000! I've been wanting to move to Portland or sandy or Corvallis for years. I had decided that Corvallis would be perfect for us last year. My husband and I have a 3 year old daughter and unschooling has felt like the only natural thing to me for quite awhile now. I never even considered PS, and just knew I'd homeschool her. Then I noticed the unschooling forum here a year ago and said That is IT! Nothing feels more right than this, and that is all I can say about it.

Anyway, the only thing holding us back in Va is my husband's job. He can't stand it, but he just can't leave it because of the security we've got and because he's so determined to be able to take care of us and retire in 5 years or less. But to me that is no real way to live! We almost finally left last September, but it didn't happen. Sigh. :-p I'm excited to eventually get to Corvallis, though. My husband grew up in Va but lived in seatown and p-town for a few years when he was younger and loved it, and so he knows them well. We will get there one day. One day soon! All my family is in Seattle and southern ca and I miss them dearly. We have No family here.

But I really am looking forward to being around likeminded ppl. I'm the most laidback, chill person I know here... I tell ya, it is not easy being a west coast girl on the east coast. It is truly amazing how most of the people are here! They are busybusybusy and live in their own human-size bubbles with seemingly no cares or thought for anyone around them. You'd think after almost 9 years in a place one would get used to that, but no. So maybe you guys can see now why I want to haul a$$ to Oregon. :-p meantime I will rant about it online, live each moment mindfully and have fun while we are here. :-) thanks for listening and keep to Oregon talk going! ;-)

 
"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
Danidama is offline  
Old 03-05-2009, 07:44 PM
 
BabyMae09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Middle Earth
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danidama View Post
I am So excited to see this thread! I grew up in Seattle and so love Oregon of course, but I moved to Arlington, va, when I was 18 and have been here since 2000! I've been wanting to move to Portland or sandy or Corvallis for years. I had decided that Corvallis would be perfect for us last year. My husband and I have a 3 year old daughter and unschooling has felt like the only natural thing to me for quite awhile now. I never even considered PS, and just knew I'd homeschool her. Then I noticed the unschooling forum here a year ago and said That is IT! Nothing feels more right than this, and that is all I can say about it.

Anyway, the only thing holding us back in Va is my husband's job. He can't stand it, but he just can't leave it because of the security we've got and because he's so determined to be able to take care of us and retire in 5 years or less. But to me that is no real way to live! We almost finally left last September, but it didn't happen. Sigh. :-p I'm excited to eventually get to Corvallis, though. My husband grew up in Va but lived in seatown and p-town for a few years when he was younger and loved it, and so he knows them well. We will get there one day. One day soon! All my family is in Seattle and southern ca and I miss them dearly. We have No family here.

But I really am looking forward to being around likeminded ppl. I'm the most laidback, chill person I know here... I tell ya, it is not easy being a west coast girl on the east coast. It is truly amazing how most of the people are here! They are busybusybusy and live in their own human-size bubbles with seemingly no cares or thought for anyone around them. You'd think after almost 9 years in a place one would get used to that, but no. So maybe you guys can see now why I want to haul a$$ to Oregon. :-p meantime I will rant about it online, live each moment mindfully and have fun while we are here. :-) thanks for listening and keep to Oregon talk going! ;-)
:

Yeah, I can't imagine living anywhere else... except maybe a Caribbean Rastafarian-style Island with good veggie restaurants.

Me,yummy.gif   DS, Peace.gif and DDdust.gif Grateful to the baby I lost for sticking around long enough to teach me what I needed to know so badly  candle.gif  We  love our forest valley home, our goats and chickenschicken3.gif, and wild harvested food-medicine coolshine.gif

BabyMae09 is offline  
Old 03-06-2009, 05:07 AM
 
Niamh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,603
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in southern Idaho. Not the best for unschooling support, for sure.

I'd love to go to Oregon if it weren't for land prices - we need land. I'm jealous that you could be moving there!

Homesteading, unschooling mama of three.
Niamh is offline  
Old 03-06-2009, 09:44 AM
 
Needle in the Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah I see I am not the only unschooling parent with Oregon envy. And coming from Switzerland I doubt the CoL would seem high to us. This is going a bit OT, but... how is the skiing in Oregon? It would seem to me that it would be great but I'm wondering how close ski areas would be to cities like Portland, Corvallis, etc.
Needle in the Hay is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off