dyslexia and the unschooled child - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 5 Old 02-20-2009, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
happyhippimama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Va
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would it be "unwise" to unschool OR homeschool a child with dyslexia? Do you think he would get what he "needs" from the unschooling process?

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
happyhippimama is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 5 Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 AM
 
TheJoyfulMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My middle daughter is dyslexic. She will be 8 tomorrow. She is just now reading and she still reverses some letters or writes everything completely backwards but she is a happy, smart child who is who she is supposed to be.

She has been unschooled since birth.

Joyfully- Laura
radically unschooling 3 awesome kids
TheJoyfulMom is offline  
#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2009, 02:32 AM
 
Lillian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
Would it be "unwise" to unschool OR homeschool a child with dyslexia? Do you think he would get what he "needs" from the unschooling process?
I can't imagine why it should make any difference. Well, actually, come to think of it, it could make a very positive difference. Unschooling doesn't mean doing nothing - he would still be exposed to and active in lots of varied activities, lots of books and games and things... I think it would be great. Here's my article on our experience: Dyslexia - a Gift? . We discovered that it wasn't dyslexia but vision skill problems that were interfering with my son's reading, but I discovered in the process that I have my own dyslexic tendencies, and learned how to deal with them more efficiently. - Lillian
Lillian J is offline  
#4 of 5 Old 02-20-2009, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter
 
happyhippimama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Va
Posts: 841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lillian,
My son does need glasses. He lost the last 2 pair he had. But he has the kinda thick lenses and had one of his eyes turning in starting at about age 4. He hates to wear his glasses and this is WHY he keeps losing them. But is that the kind of vision skill problem you ar talking about? I called a dr about getting a vision skills test after reading some stuff you wrote several months ago. That doc did a phone eval and said that he should get further testing and that altogether it was going to cost over $4000!! We can not do that. We have no insurance right now. Am I on the right track to getting the problem pinpointed or should I just let it go, in your opinion?

THANKS a lot!!

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
happyhippimama is offline  
#5 of 5 Old 02-20-2009, 04:06 AM
 
Lillian J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippimama View Post
Lillian,
My son does need glasses. He lost the last 2 pair he had. But he has the kinda thick lenses and had one of his eyes turning in starting at about age 4. He hates to wear his glasses and this is WHY he keeps losing them. But is that the kind of vision skill problem you ar talking about?
Absolutely - there are lots of different things than can go wrong, from the very subtle to more obvious things. Read the article and follow the links for lots of information.

Quote:
I called a dr about getting a vision skills test after reading some stuff you wrote several months ago. That doc did a phone eval and said that he should get further testing and that altogether it was going to cost over $4000!! We can not do that. We have no insurance right now. Am I on the right track to getting the problem pinpointed or should I just let it go, in your opinion?
I'd just do whatever you can do whenever you can do it. One great thing about vision therapy, if that turns out to be indicated, is that it doesn't need to be repeated if time passes in between sessions - it just keeps progressing from where you leave off. If you become aware of it being something he'll need at some point, you can save and plan for it, and it will be just as effective at a later time when it makes the most difference in what he can do. So knowing problems can be remedied at some point is a good, encouraging, thing. Lillian
Lillian J is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off