Please ease my mind!! writing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
My 6.5yo daughter is not writing very well. I am very laid back but I worry about this. She wrote a word yesterday and you had to strain to see what it says. Is this OK for this age? She doesn't have much interest in it yet. Maybe I can think of something creative for her to do to help her out. Please tell me not to worry about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2009, 01:03 PM

My 7.5yo son still isn't that good at writing. It's physically hard for him to write. His writing IS legible, though, mostly due to the fact that he was forced to practice writing long before he was really ready. Did I mention that he HATES writing, even though he's capable of it?

Her writing should get better over time, due to a few factors. One is simply that her hands will mature. Second is that she'll get more practice as time goes on.

I would gently encourage writing in fun ways. Can she play waitress and write down the orders? Play "eye doctor" and draw up an eye chart? Write notes to her and encourage her to write notes back?

There are also more structured games and puzzles that involve writing. I'd introduce some of these (madlibs, word finds, crossword puzzles, suduku, etc) but I wouldn't force the issue. Even coloring books (when kids are trying to color inside the lines) encourage the hands to form the kinds of connections needed for writing. When she's developmentally ready, she'll find those things fun. If she shies away from them, then you know she's not quite ready yet.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 06-17-2009, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
6.5 is when fine motor skills are still developing. Ideas and information are more important now than actual writing. When you read to her, chat about what you've read and encourage her to dig for ideas. Small amounts of imperfert writing is fine to encourage: lists, short notes 'I love you', using paint brushes on an easel, drawing on a white or chalk board, using clay, cutting and pasting collages etc are all activities that can strenghten fine motor muscles.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:41 AM

Well, I'm a clay artist, so we are going to practice our letters with a clay slab and stylus, just like they did in Ancient Egypt. I have a plastic sandwich keeper wherein I keep clay slab. As long as the lid is kept on said container (when not working), the clay will stay moist enough to write/work on.

DD also writes the grocery list, which I love!! This helps me, and she gets to be involved with menu planning.

I'm also trying to get a letter-writing box together so that she can correspond by snail mail with relatives. I bought her some very marked down blank card packs (they actually look quite "grown up" with her monogrammed initial which gives me a kick).

UMmm....we are also checking out Waldorf form drawing<--google this--it's like practicing "handwriting" skills by drawing simple archetypal symbols.

Happy and in love with my family!
Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 AM

a beeswax tblet is another way to write no concerns with drying out. you can get them at reenactment/SCA type places ds likes to doodle on his

photoblogging crafty Mama to 3 boys (8/04 and twins 08/07)
Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I worry about this too with my dd ... I think that I myelf have stopped writing a much as I used to so I am not very much of a role model. I am trying to write more so that she sees it is a useful thing to learn. And it in fact helps me as well. I think better, keep track better for somethings if I write rather than type.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
Old 06-19-2009, 03:18 PM

My son just turned 8 and isn't real adept at writing yet.
He learned to hate writing during his time at school and has absolutely avoided it ever since.
I can actually count on one hand the amount of times in the last year and half he has hand written something.
I was shocked yesterday when he picked up a book of crossword puzzles and wrote the answers in those little tiny boxes. When he said he was going to do that, I was worried it was going to be a disaster but he just, did it!

blogging.jpg 
Old 06-21-2009, 07:51 PM

My daughter started writing when she wanted to label pictures she was making. She is almost 7 and can write fairly well. Caps only at this point, but I've noticed over the year her printing is getting more even in size and spacing.

I really don't worry about it at all because writing is just one of those things you have to learn at some point to progress in just about any interest you have. She's still pretty young and I think you should just let her proceed at her own pace. At some point she'll find something that requires some writing and that will motivate her to really apply herself to that skill.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 06-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
My daughter started writing when she wanted to label pictures she was making. She is almost 7 and can write fairly well. Caps only at this point, but I've noticed over the year her printing is getting more even in size and spacing.

I really don't worry about it at all because writing is just one of those things you have to learn at some point to progress in just about any interest you have. She's still pretty young and I think you should just let her proceed at her own pace. At some point she'll find something that requires some writing and that will motivate her to really apply herself to that skill.
This is how and why my 6 year old DS writes. He labels his drawings. His first sight words, other than stop, police, adn love, have been Star Wars and Death Star !

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
Old 07-07-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschoolingmama View Post
Please tell me not to worry about this.
Don't worry about this.

No, but seriously, don't worry about this - for all the reasons everyone else has cited. She's still awfully young - she'll be able to write just fine by the time it matters. Lillian
Old 07-07-2009, 11:26 AM

ITA - my son hates practicing his handwriting, but will sit and labor over his Christmas and birthday lists (which mostly consist of GUN, DART GUN, WATR GUN, and BLLTS (bullets) : ) When they're ready, they'll find a reason to write, and it will improve in time ...

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
Old 07-12-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
When they're ready, they'll find a reason to write, and it will improve in time ...
This was rather smugly told to me by parents of older teens when my son was 11 and had no interest in writing - I found it annoying and thought they didn't know what they were talking about . He could write, but just had no interest in it. I didn't believe he'd necessarily ever find a reason to write, but he was writing beautifully within a few years and really, really enjoying it - the incentive was that he and his friends enjoyed writing (emailing) to one another and entertaining themselves with exploration of creative writing of all kinds. Lillian

Old 07-12-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
ITA - my son hates practicing his handwriting, but will sit and labor over his Christmas and birthday lists (which mostly consist of GUN, DART GUN, WATR GUN, and BLLTS (bullets) : ) When they're ready, they'll find a reason to write, and it will improve in time ...
Sounds like my kid's kind of list.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

User Tag List