keeping records without disturbing free learning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At our recent review with the County the reviewer said I need to keep more records. She could see that dd was learning a lot and could express what she learned (I have no lesson plans, records of any kind so I jut took dd with me to the review) but they still need records - either work dd has done or my own records saying she learned spelling etc.

I have bought into unschooling hook line and sinker and am struggling to figure out how to make up stuff that meets their needs without disturbing our free flow. The only way is for me to take notes everytime she does / says something and then correlate that to the subject areas but this will be a LOT Of work. Is there a simpler way?

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#2 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I have to start keeping records, next year. I'm contemplating starting a blog. That might be an easy way to keep tabs on what ds is up to. Then, I'd be able to reference it to compose something a little more specific in "educationalese".

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 04:19 PM

I keep a blog, although our state doesn't require records.

If I was required to keep records and time spent learning, I think I'd create a record-keeping notebook for myself. I'd make a chart with several "schooly" subjects and a spot for jotting a quick two-sentence note and time spent doing it.

Then I'd print a page for each day of the week (note, weekends too) and put them all in a three-ring binder or coil bind it at a printshop.

That way I could take a quick minute at, say, lunch time and make notes like this:

Saturday, June 20th
Science:
We walked in the park and examined the inside of a pinecone. 20 minutes.

Reading/Writing/Math:
She wrote four items on the grocery list, went with me to the store and examined price tags and helped me count change. 2 hours.

Reading Comprehension/History:
I read aloud 2 chapters of "Little House". 40 minutes.

PE/Social Skills:
Played on the playgound at the park. 2 hours.

Total Learning time: 5 hours

Of course there was more learning going on than just those, but if you can fill up a quick record of hours in a week, it will satisfy the State and you can go on your merry way. When I was a public school teacher I had to jump through hoops like this all the time and it was a pain. But I learned to do it quickly and efficiently while still reassuring my boss that I was teaching meaningful items.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#4 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 04:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
We're with an unschooling-friendly umbrella type program and they require me to do weekly anecdotal reporting. Much like a blog, but organized by "subjects." The program gives us subject areas as a guideline but they're broad and holistic, like "Languaging/Communication: Writing/Reading/Media/Conversations."

It's a terrific, robust record that is completely unobtrusive, though it does require some discipline on my part to keep consistent with it. They call it "Observing for Learning" and I not only find that it creates a satisfying and reassuring record, but it helps me become a more sensitive and appreciative observer of my kids' learning, thereby becoming a more useful facilitator. My kids appreciate the value of the documentation too. They enjoy reading through the old ones, realizing that I appreciate their natural learning and noticing how far they've come. I'd resent the whole process if it wasn't adding something to our family's experience -- which it is.

I include images and multimedia clips as appropriate. I don't "cover" every subject area with every report, but over the course of a couple of months I definitely touch on all areas. I find my camera to be my biggest ally in reporting. I don't jot down or remember every little thing, but by keeping my camera handy I can easily capture reminders for myself about what I'd like to put in my report. The reports take me 30-45 minutes a week.

Here's an excerpt from what I wrote one random week for my youngest:

Science/Naturalistic Understanding/Ecology: The "Nature Boy" Avalanche.

We went up the highway a couple of kilometres to see the remains of the big avalanche that had closed our highway for a week and a half earlier in the month. It was amazing for us to see the evidence of the raw power in true-to-life size. <image> This run-out is a ten-feet-deep gully that didn't exist until the avalanche came down. A couple of hundred trees were probably swept away by the snow here -- many of them piled up on the other side of the highway where workers had extracted them when clearing the highway itself.

We felt rather small.

Logic/Math/Analytical Thinking:

Fiona had fun experimenting with drawing fractals. The one with the four corner squares was a suggested function in the "G is for Googol" book. The others were Fiona's experiments. I especially like the houses with the litte houses on the roof. That was really cool!

The one in the lower left is a fractal, by the definition given (the rule she made up was "cut each square into four squares with a vertical and horizontal line") but simply results in a window screen pattern. Some fractals are NOT beautiful works of art! <image>

Lately Fiona has switched her formal math interest back to Singapore Math. She got to the middle of Level 2 in Hands-On Equations and lost some of her momentum. In the Singapore book she has been working on multiplication and division of the 2, 3, 4, 5 and 10 timestables, and addition and subtraction with regrouping into the thousands as well as story problems utilizing all these skills. She really enjoys the puzzle aspects of the self-checking exercises (match each answer up with a letter, and the letters eventually spell a secret word) but she is keen to do the math even once she guesses the secret word, so the games aren't getting in the way of the math motivation.

Physical Activity/Nutrition/Wellness/Sports:

As I mentioned previously, Fiona has finally become what we can call a swimmer. By the final day at the pool in Calgary she managed to swim the entire length of the pool, about 25 feet, all the way to the wall at the deep end, on her own. She kept plugging away at her swimming when we were in the large spa / hot tub the night we went away to celebrate her birthday. (Ah, yes, she's six now!) She's also 'levelling up' a bit in Aikido. Marcia, one of the sensei, took me aside on the Sunday afterwards to let me know quietly that if Fiona would like to register for the spring Gasshuku (a day-long seminar intended to complement the big kids' regular classes) she would be welcome to participate. It's a long day, quite demanding of focus and energy, so it's a significant invitation not to be taken lightly.

Hope this model gives you some helpful ideas.

Edited to add: I just wanted to reassure you that the aim with this style is not to record all learning that happens, not by any stretch. The idea is to gradually accumulate a representative sample of the type of learning and growing my child has done over the course of a year. Recognizing that makes it far less onerous.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 05:06 PM

Here's a great article on translating everyday activities into "educationese"
http://www.geocities.com/sablehs/Educationese.html
#6 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 05:22 PM

Just echoing some pp's, the camera is your friend. I take photos all the time and when I upload them I look through and am able to assign an academic label to the activity. I do blog as well but I don't keep up with it enough to be a great record of all our time spent.

I also have a planner and at the end of the day I write down notable things we did/looked up/talked about that I didn't take pictures of. There's no possible way to capture all the learning going on, but between the photos, blog, and planner I've got a pretty good record.

Honestly, for me, it does sort of interfere with the natural learning process. Maybe 'interfere' isn't the right word, but I do wish that I wasn't always analyzing and looking for the academic things. I value his time spent watching Star Wars just as much as his time spent figuring out math problems. But, its just the reality of our situation and perfectly manageable.

blogging.jpg 
#7 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyMittens View Post
Thanks! That is great. I've bookmarked it and am going to pass it along to some friends.

#8 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 06:54 PM

Keeping a portfolio/journal does take time, but it gets easier with practice. I keep a 2" looseleaf notebook separated into various subjects and yes, I have been known to jump up and write something down that dd just said or did or asked about before I forget. And other times, I say, oh, never mind, I don't feel like writing anything down right now. She'll do something cool tomorrow, and I'll write that down. Often I try to take a few minutes in the evening to write up some of the day's activities. It definitely does accumulate into a good record as the months go by. And it will always be a nice journal that you and the kids can treasure later. But I confess, I do look forward to summer when the learning can go on unimpeded I don't have to be bothered with record-keeping.
#9 of 34 Old 06-20-2009, 09:37 PM

Many of the things we do for record keeping are already mentioned here; we blog, photograph, have an observation journal and everything we do that happens to be on paper goes into a folder- every comic ds writes, every painting dd does, etc. spends some time on the clothes line type display in the playroom and then goes into a folder.

Our journal is designed to be a traditional plan book and has an entire week on two pages. I like this because the boxes are small and I don't have a lot of space for explanation. I simply write "gardening" under science and leave it at that. Of course it depends what your state requires but I have found that the less explanation I give the less it intrudes on my thoughts.

In addition to the things mentioned by PP we keep a list of every book we read, either on their own or together. I made a simple table that has a place to write the title, author, genre, and who read it. I have also started giving them "credit" for one hour every week for vocabulary because I figure we spend at least that amount of time each week with them asking me what words mean.

I agree with Serendipity that it can intrude on MY view of what is going on with the kids and I have to work really hard not to let it seep into their thoughts. They will sometimes say things like, "Is this science?" I don't want them to think in those terms so I explain to them that science is a study of nature, not a subject in school. I have started doing the journaling after they go to bed and it has helped keep it out of their thoughts.
#10 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyMittens View Post
:

This is great!

"Teachers in public schools were taught a method in college. They take a simple activity and turn it in to a something that sounds impressive. It is a language that educators understand."

SO true. As a former public schoolteacher I can verify this! As long as you make it sound impressive using descriptors of more than three syllables, it counts! I'm not sure any field uses more less-than-useful jargon than education.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#11 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 AM

I also blog and take a lot of photos. I do it more for myself, but it's also a written record I could refer to if/when we are reviewed (apparently every 3yrs where I live). I try not to break the typical "schooly" stuff from everyday living, so just try and present our day as it happens.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#12 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I do write a lot in a journal but that is not something i want to show a reviewer. so it means i need to write up something separately for them.
i thought of blog or twitter but i would just fall hopelessly behind and those things show the date and time of every entry!

well i am finally overcoming the inertia and i have opened a google spreadsheet with a sheet for each month. on each sheet, a column for every subject and a row for every day of the week. i hope this is easy.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#13 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I keep a running log for the school year. The first year and a half, I titled it "Learning with DD2" This year, I titled it "Learning with DD1 and DD2". Next year's will be "Learning with DS" (using their real first names.)

At the end of hte day, I spend a few minutes logging what we did that day, trying to catagorize it into something academic. Sometimes it's easy- playing with the USA map puzzle is obviously geography, MAd Libs is obviouisly Language Arts (specifically grammar), educational TV shows can easily be categorized by the subject matter (such as Magic School Bus for science.)

Some days there isn't much in the way of "academics" to write about, so I don't write anything for that day. That was something I did a lot of this year, since the girls WERE using actual textbooks for many things (their choice), so I didn't bother much with typing up the "non bookwork" they did. For DS next year, I imagine he'll do a lot more free play, and I'll try to type something up daily.

I have very specific guidelines in my state about what I need to present to the school district. I use my journal as a guideline when filling out the formal paperwork; I don't actually submit my daily journal to anybody.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheery View Post
I do write a lot in a journal but that is not something i want to show a reviewer. so it means i need to write up something separately for them.
Right. My thinking with starting a blog is that it would be a resource to me when I tried to write up something official, not that I necessarily would show it to anyone outside of close friends and family. I get on the computer a lot throughout the day and jot little emails frequently about what ds is doing, anyway. So a blog would just be having all that in one place, easier to find than different emails, posts on MDC, posts on Facebook, etc.

#15 of 34 Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
At our recent review with the County the reviewer said I need to keep more records. She could see that dd was learning a lot and could express what she learned (I have no lesson plans, records of any kind so I jut took dd with me to the review) but they still need records - either work dd has done or my own records saying she learned spelling etc.

I have bought into unschooling hook line and sinker and am struggling to figure out how to make up stuff that meets their needs without disturbing our free flow. The only way is for me to take notes everytime she does / says something and then correlate that to the subject areas but this will be a LOT Of work. Is there a simpler way?
Do you have some idea of how much detail they need? If they want a fair amount of detail, I'd be inclined to make up a form like Moominmama mentioned, and fill it out once a week. Otherwise, I think I'd make a point of picking up brochures when we went places (then date them and put them in a folder), keep occasional samples of "schooly" things your dd does (or photos if they're not flat or are too fragile), and keep a list of books you and your daughter have been using (I could get this pretty easily by going through our library records, available online).

ZM
#16 of 34 Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

I am not sure what they need - considering i took nothing at all except Exhibit A. Other moms say they dont even take their kids along, but then they have plenty of timetables and work samples to show. I showed some of hte books dd had read and she asked me if i had tested her comprehension. i was stunned - why would she read a book if she didn't like it and why would she like it if he didnt understand it? but this logic was lost on the reviewer. somehow me writing in a log that she read a book would have satisfiedher, though, i felt.

meanwhile i have succumbed to the idea of preparing a worksheet every day so that we have something in our folder to show. dd doesnt like this and i am not sure whether to keep at it or not. But it takes <10 min / day (sometimes 1 min) and then we're done and back to learning-anytime-doing-anything. I don't know. I guess I should be more creative and then we'd automatically be doing things which could go down in the journal. <sigh>

#17 of 34 Old 06-22-2009, 10:56 AM

I really doubt they will want to see a worksheet for each day.

I'm in one of the stricter states (PA). I've heard it suggested to have a few pages from the beginning, middle, and end of the academic year. Just a few samples that show progression.

We also need a book list which can be books we read to the child or books they read. There is a requirement of a certain number of school days so people include a paper with 180 boxes with check marks. There are certain required subjects so a few sentences might need to be written in a summery that mentions how that subject was covered.

They ask if you tested for comprehension? Well, yes you did... by paying attention to whether it held her interest. And if she told you anything about the story, whether she liked it, etc, that's more demonstration. And you can use that phrase "demonstrated comprehension" rather than saying you tested her.

Required subjects like phys ed can be covered by a sentence or two about what activities dd did or borrow some of the language in that educationalese site to describe free play at the playground. I take my ds to a homeschool parkday once a week, plan to go roller skating next winter, maybe he'll start up karate again. All of that that will be listed as phys ed.

If ds writes a letter to his cousin, I can photocopy that and put it in for language arts. A few pieces of paper, a summary of subjects covered (keeping mindful to include any required ones), some photos of projects, pamphlets from outings, a book list, all of this can be done without sitting your child down to do worksheets.

#18 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

yday i noticed dd was running a ribbon from her helium balloon through a clear plastic tube and then releasing it. sometimes the balloon didnt move right away so she would blow on it or wave a pillow at it.

can i write that "as is" or do i need to translate it. help?

we try to do gardening a few day every week. can i just write "gardening" under science or do i need to say "observed worms, learned how deep different seeds and sapling need to go ..."

what is actually the point of this?

#19 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

and where would I put "doing jigaw puzzle"

math?

maybe i can add acolumn of my own called problem solving? but i am not going ot make a category for each thing ... so i'd rather stick to their format
adding more categories would probably just make more work for me.

#20 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM

I am in the same program as moominmamma. So great to see how others in the program do thier reporting. I end up doing mine slightly different as the years go by. I keep a binder in the living area and jot down things that I remember ( I use code so that I can keep track of both kids and do it all on the same paper at this point) When I bring it all together at the end of the week I slightly fit all of the same subject areas into paragraphs. Luckily for us, our learning consultant is the one that translates it all into educationese! This program has worked well for us as it has been more of a way to keep records than anything else... this doesn't disturb the kids learning process at all... just can be a bit tedious for me! At the end of the year we have a great online transcript of our learning year. I also take my binder pages and put them together in the filing cabinet. If I wasn't with the program, this is still what I would do. Point form reminders of what we did, physical/ emotional/ intellectual progress and an example of what I noticed. I wouldn't bother with organising it into subjects at all. If you ever need the documentation at some point I figure that it would be easy enough to slot things into subjects. The important thing is that the info is there.
Our government posts learning outcomes online like this one for grades two and three for math

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/mathk7/gcmath23.pdf
If you can find something similar, it helps to see what categories they would use and what they would be looking for. It doesn't mean that you change anything for your unschooler at all, but becoming familiar with the terms helps you to fit in things like puzzle making, building things like lego/ knex/ building blocks/pattern making with beading/cooking etc.... things that unschoolers do in thier day... into the math slot!

Yes... I guess it all comes down to learning a bit of educationese yourself!
Seems like a lot of work to keep the records, but really it becomes smooth after a bit of practice.

:
#21 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
and where would I put "doing jigaw puzzle"

math?

maybe i can add acolumn of my own called problem solving? but i am not going ot make a category for each thing ... so i'd rather stick to their format
adding more categories would probably just make more work for me.
I'd just broaden the categories. Put it under "Math (Logic, Analytical Thinking, Patterning)" or some such broad definition.

But I doubt if this level of detailed observation is really going to be required by any official. And if you're going to do something daily or weekly, it should be something that is meaningful to you and your family as well. I think if you're trying to document everything you'll quickly begin to resent the practice and fall behind. Instead I'd record the things your child does that are meaningful to her and/or represent significant growth, the things that you believe are worth noticing.

I don't record all that my kids do. Instead I record their "aha! moments" and the things that are particularly meaningful and engaging to them. In a particular week there might be five areas recorded. Over the course of 30 weeks that's an awful lot of learning documented -- but not every jigsaw puzzle! A passion for jigsaw puzzles that engaged my child on an ongoing basis, in which I could see evidence of increasing mastery, increasing discernment, increasing focus and attention to spatial detail, that I might mention.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#22 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Instead I record their "aha! moments" and the things that are particularly meaningful and engaging to them.
This is funny to me. Where I live (in New Zealand), I had to apply to homeschool my child and write an exemption (which I wrote in an unschooling/unscheduled or timetabled way) and one of the things I had to write about was how I was going to evaluate his learning and this is what I wrote...

Quote:
Evaluation: Due to spending my days with N and observing his learning as it happens, through the questions that he asks, seeing the “aha! Moments”, noting his excitement in sharing his knowledge with others and his general engagement in the topic will show me that he is learning and that my style of facilitating and supporting that learning is hitting the mark.
I dont' actually need to turn in any evaluation or anything, just get reviewed maybe every 3yrs.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

#23 of 34 Old 06-23-2009, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

That is what would be true for me too, and Maryland is not supposed be that rigid, but somehow I dont think that would fly. I thought that the very fact that dd read a book was evidence enough that she understood it - since i have never asked her to read a specific book nor would i do mor ethan jut suggest a good book as i would to any friend .... but the reviewer asked, 'how do you know she is not just calling out words?" why on earth would she do that? i wanted to ask.

anyway, i think that i will get the hang of this. it will be more work for me but i hope it doesn't end up becoming tedious for dd.

#24 of 34 Old 06-24-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
but the reviewer asked, 'how do you know she is not just calling out words?" why on earth would she do that? i wanted to ask.
Because the reviewer is applying school logic to your household. Children in school do "word call" when they can't really comprehend the text because people continually put things in front of them that they aren't interested in or aren't ready for. But that's his problem, not yours! Next time just say you observed her enjoying the book, you had a conversation with her about something she thought was funny, etc.

As for what to write in your records... we have to keep track of the number of hours we spend on "school". HA how about every waking minute. But that isn't what they want so I have come up with the following system.

I try to find about 3-5 things per day that I can record. I simply write down what the kids do in straightforward language; "jigsaw puzzle" under math, "computer" under science, etc. Just one or two words because I don't have the desire, time or patience to translate everything we do into jargon (and I used to be a teacher so I KNOW the jargon but still think its too time consuming). I have a page that I put in the front of my log book that defines the categories so I don't have to explain my thinking each time I record something. I just typed it up and stapled it into the book I use. The bold portion is what I have on the page followed by my interpretation of those definitions.

Math: computation, problem solving, logic, reasoning, measurement, budgeting

By this definition I can include cooking, building, puzzles, deciding how to spend allowance, planning what time to leave the house to arrive on time, etc.

Communication Arts: reading for pleasure, reading for information, following written directions, prediction, inference, written communication, library skills, resource material skills

I include everything from reading books to reading instructions to hook up the dvd player. As for writing birthday invitations and letters to stories and blogs. Prediction and inference skills are "practiced" by watching movies and the natural discussions we have about the plot and characters as well as the discussions we have when we read together. Library skills means our bi-monthly trips to the library count. Resource material skills means looking up a friends telephone number counts.

Science: studies of the natural world and technology

Our state has a technology strand in their guidelines for PS so I figure we may as well take advantage of that. If the kids did many things I will simply write "computer" in the box, if they focused on one thing I'll write that- designing flash games, webkinz, etc.

Social Studies: history, geogrophy, politics, community service, current events, religion

Pretty all encompassing and the community service component means any volunteer work we do is included as social studies. We do study world religions but I also include the two hours spent in church on Sunday as well. If it is legitimate to count learning about Muslim and Buddhist culture it is also legitimate to count learning about Christianity.

Related Subjects: cross-curricular games, creative literacy

Our state does allow for the inclusion of "related subjects" for core areas that aren't easily defined. If we play trivial pursuit then that doesn't fit one subject and I put it in this column. However where it really comes in handy is the creative literacy component I've included. I count one hour of "free play" each and every day and include the "AHA moments" mentioned by PP. Just the other day the kids figured out how to tape the hose and sprayer to a tree since the sprinkler broke and it was hot. However, without freedom to play and explore they never would have come up with that so their "free play" is important- the big discovery or aha moments are recorded to back this up.

Of course there is also space for art, music, p.e., and misc. and the state deems them less important than other subjects. We don't but the record keeping isn't as meticulous because it doesn't have to be. We do the same here as with the other stuff... we define it for ourselves and count it as we see fit.

HTH!
#25 of 34 Old 06-24-2009, 08:29 PM

GREAT post, joy seeker! I'm taking notes for the future ...

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
#26 of 34 Old 06-25-2009, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

joy seeker, i like your categories. very much.
by this reckoning, we are doing math ALL THE TIME
which doesnt surprise me.
i went and got a grade 2 workbook that covers 8 or 10 subjects and dd says, "where is the math section?" that is all she is interested in, worksheet-wise. and then too only if it is not too easy or not too hard. worksheets are "so not her" as they say

#27 of 34 Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Children in school do "word call" when they can't really comprehend the text because people continually put things in front of them that they aren't interested in or aren't ready for.
This makes me very very sad.

#28 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Just to report back we had our review today and it went smoothly. I had about a page for each subject, listing month by month (Aug-Nov) what topics we covered in each. I also had some work samples for some of the subjects like English, Math, Science. And a list of books dd had read, and places we had visited. The reviewer was happy.

How I managed to do it - well I set up a google spreadsheet for each month. In each month I made a column for every subject that the County wants info on. Then I just go down and jot down by date whenever we do something in that subject area.

I should mention that I DID NOT have something down for every subject every day, not even for every month! Often weeks would go by when I did not note down anything at all. Nevertheless I covered enough ground with the moderate record keeping I did, supplemented by the worksheets we have in our folders and my own memory. Since last year we were relying on my own memory, things were much easier this time around.

Best of all, last night when dd saw me going through the spreadsheet to write stuff down from it she wanted to enter things that she did too. SO maybe next time she will keep the records herself :-)

#29 of 34 Old 11-12-2009, 07:00 PM

That is very cool Cheery, nice update!

This has helped me as I have been wanting to start record keeping but writing in it everyday just seems a bit daunting... but if all we need is the "ah hah" moments as pp's mentioned then I think we too could fill a book with those!

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#30 of 34 Old 11-15-2009, 10:52 AM

Just wanted to chime in here about the legality of her asking you for more.

Read the law, carry it, and know it. Don't give the county any more than what is required by law.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page