The axe falls on unschooling - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 129 Old 12-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is one of the best threads I have ever read. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 129 Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Just yesterday my dh suggested to me that we could maybe use a little more structure around here. while he framed it very nicely, I don't like being told what to do, especially when I *know* it to be true, but just can't quite get there yet. We're less than two months away from bringing home two little ones from Uganda, and my chest feels like it's going to explode from the stress, and implementing structure when you're ready to scream is not a good idea, imo. My eldest child thrives without structure, truly. like me. which is why we've been carrying on quite nicely without it for 10 years. My youngest, however, really would benefit from more structure -- I often wonder if his younger years might have gone more smoothly if his days had been a little more predictable for him. These two new kids we're bringing home will absolutely need structure and scheduling, at least for a while, so we're going to have our own "experiment with structure" when I come home with them. It will be largely based around them, but we've dropped all activities and classes (kids wanted to) and we're all looking forward to doing more at-home work...

...speaking of which, you mentioned singapore math, miranda -- I often feel like I'm re-inventing the wheel when I try to explain math concepts that come up. I don't want to make my kids work through a math curriculum without interest, but I'd love to have one around for when the questions come up, and they want to learn a specific math skill. I've been leaning toward math-u-see because it has instructional dvd's and my kids love dvd's , but I've heard good things about singapore math too -- what do you like and dislike about singapore?

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#123 of 129 Old 12-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
...speaking of which, you mentioned singapore math, miranda -- what do you like and dislike about singapore?
nevermind, a little birdie kindly directed me toward your blog posts on the subject.

thanks miranda, and thanks ksenia!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#124 of 129 Old 12-05-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
nevermind, a little birdie kindly directed me toward your blog posts on the subject.

thanks miranda, and thanks ksenia!
See, if I hadn't been so busy drooling over my new iMac I would have got around to doing that myself.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#125 of 129 Old 12-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
See, if I hadn't been so busy drooling over my new iMac I would have got around to doing that myself.

Miranda
I love mine. Aren't they fabulous?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#126 of 129 Old 12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned

i do not think that structure and unschooling are mutually exclusive. i think that a family can have a rhythm (or structure) and within that, have total freedom.

when i read Miranda's posts (and updates), i see how structure is making things more fun for the family in total (and really integrating Dad), and how within that structure the kids are still doing what they want.

it'ss really cool to read /"see" unschooling in action.
#127 of 129 Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 PM

ITA with zoebird. It's so cool to see the dance that makes a family "work"

grateful Mama to DD May '06 and DS May '09
#128 of 129 Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAK's Mom View Post
This is one of the best threads I have ever read. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Yes, absolutely. Thank you.
#129 of 129 Old 12-13-2009, 11:46 PM
WCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmamapagan View Post
ITA with zoebird. It's so cool to see the dance that makes a family "work"

Exactly. this is what, IMO, unschooling is. To do what works best for each and all. Not to ascribe to a predetermined list of criteria, whether it works or not.

Thanks, as always, for sharing.

Passionate posts = oodles of typos

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page