Humbled by my little reader - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In reviewing past threads, I saw that as recently as NOVEMBER 2009 I was worried about my son not reading yet. I was skeptical about reading being something he could do as an unschooler. (we are relatively new to US-ing). I was feeling like a bad parent because I had somehow not forced my kid to do reading worksheets and all that, and I felt now he wasn't going to because I had chosen the unschooling path...a path that I was somehow convinced would work for everything except reading.

as recently as NOVEMBER!!! 2009!!!!

I am here to tell you I am apparently an idiot. Last night he read me two books. My son read ME two books: One called "Percussion" and one called "Woodwinds." (any surprise there? music is his current passion). He did it masterfully. My husband and I stood there frozen in our tracks with dumb tears in our eyes, as our son proudly READ US TWO BOOKS!!!!!!

I hereby resign as Worrier-in-Chief.

Just wanted to share. :-)
#2 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 10:54 PM

#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2010, 03:43 AM

That is wonderful!!!! I wonder how much the kids teach us through unschooling?
#4 of 9 Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 PM

Love this story! Thanks for sharing...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#5 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 05:59 PM
QDB

That is great!! And...I really needed to read something like this today as I am having freakouts about my 6 yo and his total disinterest in anything resembling reading.
#6 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 11:49 PM

Isn't that such a great feeling?

I too have not taught my youngest DD to read(oldest 2 went to PS for at least half the year and learned to read there). I wanted to see if she would teach herself to read, you know, by asking questions about letters and words as she came up w/ them. (She had zero interest in sitting w/ me to learn, so that had something to do w/ my approach.) The first time she decided to read to me, she read me all of Rumpelstiltskin. I had to spend the whole time silently dumbstruck, trying to be encouraging w/out freaking her out w/ my excitement.
#7 of 9 Old 01-30-2010, 01:14 AM

Cool story!

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#8 of 9 Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM

What a great story...another worrier here--this was exactly what I needed to read! Just curious--how old is your son? (Not that is matters...

Marja: consensual-living, unschooling, piano-teaching, doula and mom to 3 creative, independent people:
DD, 8, DS, 6, and Baby DS born July 1, 2010 Married to DH for 10 years!
#9 of 9 Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM

Too funny! I remember reading your post and wanted to respond with a..."relax, it'll happen when he's ready", and never found the time to write. Glad to hear you...well he, figured it all out! My DH and I were/are similarly worried but keep telling ourselves, relax, they'll be fine, relax, they'll be fine. And voila, 2 months ago our 5 year old came up to us with a book and started reading. Then a few weeks ago he sat down and wrote his alphabet and numbers 1 to 35!! No formal instruction whatsoever, it works! And yes, it's difficult to refrain from jumping up and down with excitement when those moments occur.

Congrats to joining us fellow parent peons in stepping down as worrier-in-chief!! Though I bet we'll all step back in that position when they hit their teens...though for different reasons.

Proud mama to three bouncing unschooled boys:, Ian5/02, Connor9/04, and Andrew1/08!:::: Milk Donors!familybed2.gifwaterbirth.jpghomeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdizzy.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page