tell me it is ok to be obsessed with guinea pigs - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 02-26-2010, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
For clarity's sake: she has expressed a desire to work with animals beyond the ones we own, and I have not yet been able to find resources for her to do so. That is what I mean by expand her interest.
Ah I misread your post. I'd seen it as you'd tried to interest her in other animals and that hadn't worked.

4-H will definitely help with giving her chances to work with other animals.

I know you mentioned the animal shelter, have you tried looking around for rescue organizations in your area? My family volunteered with a ferret shelter for awhile.
#32 of 37 Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Kathymuggle had a joking sense of regret that her schooling choices allowed...
Yes, and that's something that turns up all the time - unschoolers often joke about these things. In fact, a common joking complaint I've indulged in with unschooling friends when we had teens is that we raised them to think for themselves and now they were thinking for themselves, darn it!!! Lillian
#33 of 37 Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 PM

Was it ok for Jane Goodall to be obsessed with chimps? Dian Fossey with gorillas? Guinea pig judging may be her fallback career!

BTW, my experience growing up with 4H (sheep), going to county fairs, etc was very mellow. In our group there were families who consumed their animals, others not and a few who swapped animals so they weren't eating their own. I remember people being very accepting and I was a bit on the odd side for my rural hometown. Incidentally, a lot of the information and experience I got out of 4H helped with being pregnant, homebirthing and nursing... after all, we're all mammals when you get right down to it!
#34 of 37 Old 02-28-2010, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.

I have gotten great feedback in this thread on 4H. We have not contacted anyone yet, as she has decided to foster a guiea pig! 4H is not ruled out, though.

We have an email out to an organisation on fostering, and we will see what transpires.
#35 of 37 Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
Thank you.

I have gotten great feedback in this thread on 4H. We have not contacted anyone yet, as she has decided to foster a guiea pig! 4H is not ruled out, though.

We have an email out to an organisation on fostering, and we will see what transpires.
One thing about 4H is that there are so many things offered that she could end up getting interested in things neither of you would have thought of - so you might look into their list of stuff in the meantime. Lillian
#36 of 37 Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian J View Post

(I hope I know you well enough to call you Needle - oh, I am punchy this morning...)

You can call me whatever you want, Lillian!
For some reason I'm reminded of a scene from What's Happenin' with Rerun telling people all the things they can call him (Freddie, Rerun, not sure what else!) and then I think at the end he tells them "just don't call me collect".
#37 of 37 Old 03-02-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle in the hay View Post
...then i think at the end he tells them "just don't call me collect".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page