ABC News, "Unschooling: No Tests, Books or Classes" - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 100 Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last Friday it was unseasonably warm, and a friend and I spent the day at a local lake, basking in the sun while the kids (age 2-8) played in the water, got dirty, and generally had great fun. We talked and ate snacks and the kids played and played and played. It was an amazing and wonderful day, one of those perfect days with kids.

Seriously, I think this is a perfect example of why unschooling makes people so twitchy! The idea that it might be possible to do our own thing, have more fun, not be controlled by institutions, learn joyfully, avoid drudgery, be spontaneous creators of our own lives--and that kids will still learn and grow and get all they need to be functioning adults--that is entirely contrary to our whole educational system. Well, mostly, anyway.

The suggestion that we can give up the ick of schools and that our kids will still learn what they need to know of course freaks people out if they and their kids are putting up with a lot of cr*p at school.

I'm not saying that homeschooling isn't hard work, but it's the rewarding hard work of making the kind of life that we want.

Mostly, I just try not to mention things like beach days to my friends who school!
#92 of 100 Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_seeker View Post
This is so frustrating to me, the narrow definition of success. Even more frustrating is that those who don't acheive this arbitrary standard of success after PS or other traditional schooling are not held up as an example of why THAT educational model isn't working; instead the child is blamed for being 'lazy' or 'not reaching their full potential'.
I was just watching this documentary trailer and thought of your point here.

From the website
Race to Nowhere is a documentary film examining the pressures faced by youth, teachers and parents in our achievement obsessed education system and culture. Featuring the heartbreaking stories of young people who have been pushed to the brink, educators who are burned out and worried students aren’t developing the skills needed, and parents who are trying to do what's best for their kids, Race to Nowhere points to the silent epidemic running rampant in our schools.

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

#93 of 100 Old 04-25-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
This is so frustrating to me, the narrow definition of success. Even more frustrating is that those who don't acheive this arbitrary standard of success after PS or other traditional schooling are not held up as an example of why THAT educational model isn't working; instead the child is blamed for being 'lazy' or 'not reaching their full potential'.
this was just an amazing insight. thank you.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#94 of 100 Old 04-25-2010, 09:38 PM

Karen, thank you so much for that link! I'm a documentary junkie so that is going on my list!

The girl in the beginning was just so insightful and heartbreaking. She said (and I'm paraphrasing) that kids are expected to achieve so much- grades, sports, popularity, community service, jobs, etc. that they lose themselves to these things because they never have the opportunity to discover who they are.

This is THE reason we unschool. There are a lot of other advantages but this is what draws me back when I have moments of doubt. I think the most important things my kids will learn in their entire lives is who they are and unschooling is the best way I've found to allow them to do that. Everything else they need to know will flow from that sense of self and anything that doesn't come from that place of authenticity isn't worth knowing IMHO.
#95 of 100 Old 04-25-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Karen, thank you so much for that link! I'm a documentary junkie so that is going on my list!

The girl in the beginning was just so insightful and heartbreaking. She said (and I'm paraphrasing) that kids are expected to achieve so much- grades, sports, popularity, community service, jobs, etc. that they lose themselves to these things because they never have the opportunity to discover who they are.

This is THE reason we unschool. There are a lot of other advantages but this is what draws me back when I have moments of doubt. I think the most important things my kids will learn in their entire lives is who they are and unschooling is the best way I've found to allow them to do that. Everything else they need to know will flow from that sense of self and anything that doesn't come from that place of authenticity isn't worth knowing IMHO.
I concur! That trailer spoke to me deeply. I think I feel the pressure to succeed even still - I am always busy, always trying to be a "superhero" as the kid said. It's terrible.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#96 of 100 Old 04-27-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
I was just watching this documentary trailer and thought of your point here.

From the website
Race to Nowhere is a documentary film examining the pressures faced by youth, teachers and parents in our achievement obsessed education system and culture. Featuring the heartbreaking stories of young people who have been pushed to the brink, educators who are burned out and worried students aren’t developing the skills needed, and parents who are trying to do what's best for their kids, Race to Nowhere points to the silent epidemic running rampant in our schools.

WOW. I loved it. That really reached me, too. It's why I detest that competition between ppl about everything (house, salary size, higher education, children's accomplishments, busy-ness, etc). It still hurts when I come across ppl IRL (who I see we have many common interests and could be good friends) but they take one look at me and I can see that look in their face that they have "written me off" as friend-material b/c I obviously do not have a "personal resume" that meshes with their desire to get ahead socially/personally or whatever. I had an acquaintance tell me that she saw her family as one of "the awesome families" in her group of acquaintances. So what were the other ones? How does one qualify to be "awesome"? Her own standards are impossibly high, so I suppose I should be relieved I am "not awesome". (I think I might drop dead in pursuit of that kind of awesomeness)

It's sad how much ppl can look down on others b/ someone gave them an 'A' and others a 'C'. It's a society rife with "self-appointed alpha people". I wish we could all get off the treadmill as a whole, as was mentioned in the documentary. I think it will happen, just one person, somewhat painfully, at a time.

Mama to DS (10), DS (8), DS (5), DD (3), & DD (6 months).
Lucky Wife to My Techy DH for 11 years.
We stillheart.gif Homebirth, Full-term Breastfeeding,
Connection Parenting, Life Learning, our LDS faith.
mdcblog5.gif

#97 of 100 Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM

greenthumb3: i agree about the treadmill. we have stepped off about 18 months ago and it has been emotionally hard for us, up until this last few months. now we are finally seeing who we are without all the muck from the outside.

my dd decided after 8 years of hs to go to high school. although she is doing really well (in the public school standard) she has really lost alot of her own desire to learn for something other then a grade. there is no time to look deeper into something because every class rushes thru everything. they have to "finish" this book or those chapters, so as long as you get a good grade on the test who cares if you actually know any of it. secretly i am hoping she will love being home this summer and choose another path in the fall... we have so many options here.

and btw, i am so loving this discussion. thank you all

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#98 of 100 Old 04-30-2010, 04:41 PM

Loved the documentary link (another docu-junkie here!)...thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky View Post
The idea that it might be possible to do our own thing, have more fun, not be controlled by institutions, learn joyfully, avoid drudgery, be spontaneous creators of our own lives...The suggestion that we can give up the ick of schools and that our kids will still learn what they need to know...freaks people out if they and their kids are putting up with a lot of cr*p at school.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#99 of 100 Old 05-22-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
What I have hard time with is saying it's okay for 15 y.o., who never showed interest in geography, to be ignorant of other cultures. I would want to find ways to expose them to topics, books and concepts that make them into well-rounded individuals, and it is my hope that I will have the skill to do it in a gentle and exciting way.
The thing is: most fifteen year old's are completely uninterested in geography and are ignorant of other cultures. They have plenty of it in school, but that doesn't mean that they know anything. When I was in high school and college I was continually amazed at how ignorant my friends were (and I hung out with the "smart" kids). Just judging from what schooled kids know (or rather don't know), I'd be willing to unschool.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living
#100 of 100 Old 05-23-2010, 12:35 AM

Okay, my comments on the video:

-first they start off with the negative comments: sounds crazy, hooky, and that "most educators" comment which is a definite red-flag for biased journalism (my professor would never have let us get away with that in college)
-then they show the kids beating on each other with play swords, good naturedly, but still it's an attempt to show them to be anti-social deviants
-one very quick clip about the plants
-all the comments that they showed of the parents sounded like what you say when you are getting warmed up to talk about an idea that you have given a great deal of thought to, like they cut out the meat of what they said
-then she implied that kids wouldn't read if they weren't in school (I personally spent most of high school reading, before, during, and after school). Reading is not just for grown-ups!
-and the quote from the "parenting expert and "Good Morning America" contributor" is bullshit. who is she but a hired talking head to say what the network wants her to say. She doesn't know anything about unschoolers, she's not a psychologist or anything. And her comment is pure fear mongering. She hits all the parental-fear buttons: "too much power" "think they're the center of the universe."
-She's talking about kids choices while he's eating fried chicken. It's never attractive to see someone eating period, much less fried chicken. Though he is using a fork...
-the two shots of their rooms supposedly being "danger" zones
-"feral" children, "running wild" nuff said
-The second mother's choice of words (about hygene being one of the last things to go) is terrible. But the kids are definitely going to brush their teeth. And are most of the cereals for kids any better than a donut? I don't think so.
-Then the female reporter is back with the teenagers, and she is rude! "But you were 7 what do you know!" Awful. Then she explains what kids learn in school, like he doesn't know, and what school is "for": to expose you to different things you might like (bullsht). And let me tell you that probably no kid in history ever learned a sport from gym class.
-her hand gestures are very confrontational
-I like the father's response that they will learn because they see the purpose in it.
-All in all, this is a typical television news bite. Biased, unresearched, fear-mongering, all designed to get people to "tune in next," generate hits online, and encourage people to remain in the status quo.

This reminds me of why I never, ever watch the news or news shows.

my toy shop on etsy.com: wooden baby keys, natural bathtub toys, wooden animals, little kitchens, waldorf dolls...also check out my blog about saving money, creating things, and natural living

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page