Fun, not school-ey, board games suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our dc are young, and we've been enjoying games like Blokus (which all four play and understand well) and CountAcross (by Cadaco) which we've modified to make it more challenging on the first level, although we've only just purchased it and started playing it today; we haven't yet played it with our 29 month old- unless making towers out of the pieces and having him roll for me count as playing.

Anyway, they really like games that have the two most prevalent components in the above games- self-challenge and an opponent or several. They don't like games that are pure luck and/or pure competition and no/little self-challenge. They do also enjoy solitary games that demand strategy and skill.

I grew up playing Scrabble, Boggle, mostly, so we have those and Scattergories already. Card games just do not work. I'm not sure when they will, but right now they just end up somehow tossed or lost. Our eldest would play cards, but not so much the younger ones.

I'm not really even aware of what games are out there now except what I've seen at stores and other than the ones I mentioned, they seem uninteresting to me- lots of flashy, moving plastic parts and full-on competition with little need for skill or strategy. And many of the games for children also have a lot of school-based themes and age-peer mentality that I would like to avoid, which is why I am posting here.

Oooh, I just remembered Battleship; they might enjoy that.

Any favourites amongst your families (with young children, previously or presently)?

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#2 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I don't think you'd call this a "game," but it's fun. You have to make pictures using the shapes. It starts out easy and gets harder as you advance through the cards. http://www.amazon.com/MightyMind-401..._bxgy_t_text_b

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

I know that two of my dc would really enjoy that game; thanks for the suggestion!

I laughed really hard at the second scroll-over photoin the link: Makes Kids Smarter and keeps them busy for hours! That's hilarious.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#4 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 02:13 AM

We LOVE Rummikub. It is highly strategic so that makes it lots of fun. Mancala is another family favorite that requires strategy.
#5 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 07:35 AM

Quirkle

chess

Gobblet

Bananagrams

(hmmm, as I look on our shelf for games without cards I never realized how many games WITH cards we have! Post again when you're ready for those, )

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#6 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 07:53 AM

We are huge board and card game fans over here, and my 6 year old plays quite a few with us. We get most of our games at a comic book shop, since they tend to have a more diverse selection. Samurai is wonderful. Dominion (although that is card base), Robo Rally, and Roller Coaster Tycoon are popular with us as well. We play some classic games as well, like Mancala, Chinese Checkers, Chess, and Milles Bournes. We're getting ready to try some slightly more advanced strategy games like Settlers of Catan and Tower of Babel. Lord of the Rings is a really fun cooperative board game, but I don't think ds could play it without adult guidance, as there are a lot of steps to remember for a turn.
#7 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I was correct; I am out of touch with board games. I have to look up nearly every one that was suggested!

My dp loooooves playing Catan, but he plays with the youth at his job who are teen-aged. He's really looking forward to playing it with our dc. I've never played it and dp is reticent to introduce it to me because I tend to kiss his behind in strategy games.

Off to Google and probably Amazon. Thanks!

ETA: Okay, so wikipedia is provng the best resource for play info so far.

#8 of 30 Old 04-25-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a Wiki list of board games for anyone else who is interested.

#9 of 30 Old 04-26-2010, 08:54 AM

I am going to have to check all these out as well- I never knew there were so many. The kids love a Dr Seuss alphabet game we bought- it is like twister- they love seeing us trying to get into all kinds of positons- I guess that is educational though- anyway they do enjoy it.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
#10 of 30 Old 04-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_seeker View Post
We LOVE Rummikub. It is highly strategic so that makes it lots of fun. Mancala is another family favorite that requires strategy.
And rummikub also sets them up for card games when they can do card handling.
#11 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

This thread was a great starting point for me! I began to look up the games listed and found a whole bunch more that I think will be perfect for our dc.

The games not already listed here that I interest me presently are:
Go

Colorku

Ingenious

Kids of Carcassonne

Cathedral Classic

That's my list along with making a Bananagrams bag of some sort for Scrabble tiles, and finding a Rummikub version that has sturdy parts. I also want to make a mancala aparatus and have our boys choose stones from outside for it. We have myriad beautiful stones here all over the ground and they love to bring in ones they think are particularly interesting, so rather than finding them stored in their pockets on laundry day, they can collect them for mancala. They'll love that.

#12 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 03:15 PM

I love the idea of making your own mancala- very cool! We've had our Rummikub game forever (my brother got it when we were kids) and all the pieces are plastic so very durable- is it made differently now?
#13 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 03:19 PM

That colorku is very similar to one of the games I was going to suggest (the other was Quirkle, which someone already mentioned). It's called Maremba, but I have no idea where you can get it. DS1 got it from his paternal grandmother for Christmas a couple years ago.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#14 of 30 Old 04-27-2010, 09:08 PM

My kids love Candy Land, Cootie, and Trouble. Those are really luck based though.

What about Chinese Checkers? I remember LOVING that when I was a kid, and it does take a bit of skill. That and regular checkers.

Other games I can remember liking as a kid:

Guess Who
Connect Four
Clue
Monopoly
Battleship
Trivia-based games
Jenga

I know you said no card games, but you also mentioned that they like Scrabble, so I thought I mention a new game my mom just got. It's a card Scrabble game that you make only four letter words out of. (And not the bad kind of four letter words. ) It was really fun and fast paced, but not hard because it only contained really common letters and it was easy to turn words like PARK into PORK and then PORT, etc. It was fun! I don't know the exact name of it, but I'm sure it came from a common store like Walmart.
#15 of 30 Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

I know you said no card games, but you also mentioned that they like Scrabble, so I thought I mention a new game my mom just got. It's a card Scrabble game that you make only four letter words out of. (And not the bad kind of four letter words. ) It was really fun and fast paced, but not hard because it only contained really common letters and it was easy to turn words like PARK into PORK and then PORT, etc. It was fun! I don't know the exact name of it, but I'm sure it came from a common store like Walmart.
to the four-letter words. I think I remember seeing that game somewhere. Was it a Jr Boggle? I love Boggle and played it very often as a child and would now if I had the time... I've been thinking of buying a set of alphabet dice and playing a made-up game with our boys- one that doesn't require fast writing, but that will allow them to make words or find words and write them slowly. We have a set of alphabet cards. I'm goig to think of a game to play with them. That word game is a great suggestion. Thanks!

#16 of 30 Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

Mexican train dominoes!

Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

#17 of 30 Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicky2 View Post
Mexican train dominoes!
My dc love dominoes. They love to build with them, make line 'drawings' that meander all over the floor with them and even sometimes play standard dominoes with them, but I am not sure if we have a full set right now... They love the feel and coloured pips on them too.

#18 of 30 Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
to the four-letter words. I think I remember seeing that game somewhere. Was it a Jr Boggle? I love Boggle and played it very often as a child and would now if I had the time... I've been thinking of buying a set of alphabet dice and playing a made-up game with our boys- one that doesn't require fast writing, but that will allow them to make words or find words and write them slowly. We have a set of alphabet cards. I'm goig to think of a game to play with them. That word game is a great suggestion. Thanks!
No, it was Scrabble, but just played with cards. The box it came in was about the size of the box for Uno. (Which, hey! There's another great suggestion. Uno is fun!)

Ah, here, I googled it! http://www.amazon.com/Parker-Brother...2501048&sr=1-1 Scrabble Slam. It was super fun. I played with my mom and my stepdad. My mom and I think fast, so we were slamming down cards left and right, but my stepdad is a much slower thinker, and he still had a fair shot at winning because it was so simple to turn the words into different words.
#19 of 30 Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

Oh okay. I've never seen that one. So I must have seen Boggle Jr then. I have a set of cards we could use for that and maybe it could be an introduction to not tossing cards all over the floor.

#20 of 30 Old 05-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Down the Tubes, Bumparena, Shuttles, Mastermind, Stratego or Hive Alive, Tricky Fingers, Rush Hour...
#21 of 30 Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 AM

jenga!
#22 of 30 Old 05-07-2010, 03:09 PM

www.familypastimes.com

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!
#23 of 30 Old 05-07-2010, 03:18 PM

#24 of 30 Old 05-08-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for more suggestions! Dp recommended Jenga too, so we may add that one soon and Wildcraft looks really neat! Our boys are totally excited about edible wild herbs and plants and we talk about and search outside for them all the time. They'd love that game. I'd have to keep close watch on the cards, though.

I also checked out the Family Pastimes site. Wow, I love some of those games! I was especially interested in the group games section because it is difficult to find games designed for a larger than 4 person family to play together.

#25 of 30 Old 05-08-2010, 12:46 AM

make n' break is one of my favortie games ever!
http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-P...3290385&sr=1-1

it involves making block towers! it is very easy to make it challenging for adults, and still fun for a little kids.
#26 of 30 Old 05-09-2010, 11:40 PM

subbing also for ideas.
#27 of 30 Old 05-11-2010, 03:37 PM

We also love Make N Break in our house!

Also, Word Pirates, Dicecapades (there's a 6+ version and a 12 + version), and Spy Alley.

I know you said you don't like card games, but we really love Sleeping Queens and ThingaMaBots in our house. I just keep them up so they don't lose the cards.

And Set is a great pattern game with cards.

HTH!

"We think we're gliding down the highway when in fact we're slip sliding away." Paul Simon
DD-7 & B-G twins, 5
#28 of 30 Old 05-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

We like Hi Ho Cherrio all right, and my mom just got DD a great cooperative game called Harvest Time that DD adores. The Brown Bear, Panda Bear game is too easy for her already but it's perfect for when she wants us to play that we and all her stuffed animals are playing a game together . She also has a hand me down Boggle Jr. that is educational I guess but DD loves letters and words so she gets it out to play on her own all the time (it does have cards though... which she uses to build a farm, finding the barn and all the animals that could live there ). The timer on that game scares the beejeezus outta her, though (we never use it of course but every once in a while she'll make it go... and run away, poor dear).
#29 of 30 Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM

My kids love Wildcraft, too! A friend of mine has it & they want to play every time we visit.

A couple others than I don't think anyone has mentioned are Othello & Quarto.

stephanie asl.gif

#30 of 30 Old 05-22-2010, 08:57 PM
AJP

My 10-year-old and I have been playing the Ravensburger game Master Labyrinth lately, he loves it and I can tolerate it (I generally find board games irritating), he often wins. Sometimes the 4-year-old participates, although he's too young to grasp much in the way of strategy he does delight in messing up the plans of other players.

There is no secret ingredient.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page