Help me teach others about Unschooling! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,

I have been asked to be on a panel of moms representing different educational practices. I am the official unschooler in the panel. I need your help in writing my talk and preparing to answer questions. So tell me . . . what is the most important point about unschooling? If you were to drive home one important piece of information to non-unschoolers, what would it be? What makes it different (better?) than typical homeschooling? What are some cons?

Or any other information you think is important to address.

Thanks ladies! I plan to post my talk on my blog after I have presented it, so I will return here and post a link. Thanks for all of your help!

Sarah

SAHM, homeschooling mama to five fantastic little monkeys smile.gif  You can find me blogging at www.mythreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.com or selling my natural mama and baby creations at www.thatsawrapbaby.etsy.com

#2 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think there are two most important points for me.

1. My children will always be enthusiastic learners.

2. My adopted daughter's birth family develops a bit slower than typical. This pigeon holes them. They are perfectly competent people, but because their bodies are slower at developing than others, they are berated. My daughter will never have that. She will develop on her own time schedule and never feel bad about herself because she's not following someone else's calendar.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 01:00 AM

Who is your audience? Are they traditionally schooled or doing traditional home schooling? I have found that traditionally schooled people are NOT receptive to the idea without a lot of background prep. Plus, it seems to offend their very sense of self, for some reason (that I'm too tired to analyze right now), and they get defensive and unable to hear the benefits of it.

Are you able to do a basic description of "external rewards decrease internal motivation"? That might be something to include.

I would also be prepared to discuss unschooling vs radical unschooling. (I know it is something that comes up in this forum).

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies. Unfortunatly, by the time I got your replies, the talk was over. It was rather last minute! It went well -- the audience was interested and receptive. The one other panel member, who was from public school, was NOT! Hopefully I enlightened her, but I doubt it. Here is my blogpost, if anyone is interested. I handed copies out to the audience as well.

http://mythreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.com/

SAHM, homeschooling mama to five fantastic little monkeys smile.gif  You can find me blogging at www.mythreelittlemonkeys.blogspot.com or selling my natural mama and baby creations at www.thatsawrapbaby.etsy.com

#5 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM

REALLY good point about adults being internally-motivated learners and the reason they were all in attendance. People will learn what they are interested in learning.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 01:09 PM

I loved this post. I'd like to link to it on my unschooling blog, but there appears to be no post title and I can't find the page that just has the post on it...?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#7 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I added a title, which should solve the problem!

#8 of 8 Old 07-20-2010, 06:47 PM

Thanks!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page