At a cross road - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My older dd went to preschool for a year and we decided to live the unschooling life when it became clear that her sensitive nature didn't thrive in a preschool environment. We have been doing great, somewhat surviving on a single and very unsteady income, and we moved to the countryside about 6 months ago to save money, live closer to the land and give the kids a more real childhood. However here almost all kids are in school, or are homeschoolers who do lots of hours doing school work at home. My dd1 will be 6 in October and is craving more interaction with girls her age. And she loves structure and workbooks, she is self motivated and very outgoing. Allowing her to unschool and to just BE gave her the chance to become a secure, happy and fun young girl. She has changed so much in the last two years, loves learning, is bright and shining.
Now her needs have changed and she really wants to be part of a larger group. Today we went to an open house at a small charter school where kids get grouped in various grades (K-2, 2-4, and so on). This charter school offers a new independent homeschool study program where someone gets assignments which have to be turned in within 20 days and has a meeting with the teacher one a month to check on progress. As far as I can tell there are no tests required, I can opt out.
DD1 is totally loving this idea, NOT having to go to school every day, but to be part of it and getting to participate in some aspects of the school like "Fun Fridays", maybe an art class, Zumba dancing, Field trips, etc. Also, there is a little stipend for art supplies.
Has anyone experience with that? Part of the unschooling path is to allow the child to take charge of their own education, social needs and such, and I am recognizing her need for lots more friends, to fit in, to feel validated, to grow and learn with peers.
Any thoughts?

unschooling mama with Toots'n Fruits (6) and BeenzieBoo (3)
#2 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 AM
WCM

Sounds to me like a lovely solution has fallen in to place for you guys.

You followed your instincts initially to pull her from school, and now your instincts are leading you in a new direction. How is that bad?

I do not think sticking to a journey is logical when you are noticing signs that you should be open to other paths. I home/unschool because I loathe the entire structure and mentality of school, period. And where we live there are absolutely NO other options but full-day public school(charters are illegal here, etc). And it works for us, for our kids, we have loads of opportunity for interaction, we are all happy doing what we are doing, they are happy staying out of school. Your DD is into groups of kids and worksheets and going somewhere for 'class', and a lovely little school-y thing is available to you guys, I say Why not?

Passionate posts = oodles of typos
#3 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM View Post

You followed your instincts initially to pull her from school, and now your instincts are leading you in a new direction. How is that bad?

I do not think sticking to a journey is logical when you are noticing signs that you should be open to other paths. I home/unschool because I loathe the entire structure and mentality of school, period. And where we live there are absolutely NO other options but full-day public school(charters are illegal here, etc). And it works for us, for our kids, we have loads of opportunity for interaction, we are all happy doing what we are doing, they are happy staying out of school. Your DD is into groups of kids and worksheets and going somewhere for 'class', and a lovely little school-y thing is available to you guys, I say Why not?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM View Post

i agree too!

best wishes,
sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#5 of 6 Old 08-30-2010, 01:02 AM

Sounds like somthing to try out! You can always quit if it ends up being a bad fit.

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-02-2010, 11:57 PM

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page