Unschooling Documentary - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 32 Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Love it! You don't happen to have a blog, do you? I love being inspired by unschooler blogs :)

#32 of 32 Old 04-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraN View Post

Great documentary. As I was watching, I was thinking in terms of showing it to my parents (who support what we do, but ask a lot of questions and don't really "get" it) and I'm not sure that it would add much to their understanding. I hope that if your sister gets funding, she will be able to delve a little deeper and really explore how unschooled children learn, what sorts of things they do. In other words, the philosophy is clearly laid out in the documentary, but the specifics are missing. Even the fact that it looks different in each family is an important topic to explore.

I would have loved to hear more about your experience, a BTDT view, for example.

Also, I think the professor brought up a lot of common objections/concerns about unschooling, and they might have been better answered with stronger rebuttals. I think people who don't "get" unschooling have a difficult time accepting that children might actually be interested in delving deeply into a subject. So to have a good strong example of just that --perhaps hearing more about the vampires and what about them draws the girl in so much and where that interest has taken her--would make a stronger argument against the professor's comment that school is necessary to teach kids how to use books and computers to find information.

Also, one perhaps controversial comment--I would have preferred to avoid the comment about feeling sad for people who send their kids to school. In fact, that comment is what's stopping me from sending the link to my parents. Those kinds of comments are polarizing and put viewers on the defensive who might otherwise at least be open to learning from the documentary. I think unschooling already stretches people's closely held beliefs, and expressing pity for them is just a bit too much, IMHO.

But with all that said, I think the documentary was well made and does lay out the philosophy more clearly than I've seen in the media lately.

Thanks for sharing!

I can see what you're saying, but I think what she meant that it was sad, not that the kids were going to school, but that some parents are desperate to get away from their kids in general. But I agree I wouldn't have included that comment in the video because some parents DO need that break. And that's fine.

I loved the video. Especially teh part about "my children go to the store and buy something with money, and that's how they learn how money works" etc. So so awesome. Hands on. I love it.

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page