I am beginning to trust... :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have previous homeschooling experience, but not with unschooling until we began with our DS. We decided to start out with a few workbooks as a beginning point to see what DS may be interested in. Math in particular is a concern for me since I've always struggled with it. DS was interested in the math workbook for a few weeks, and about a week ago pushed it away and said he didn't want to do it. Of course, the first wave of panic that went through my mind was along the lines of, "Now he'll NEVER learn ANY math, what will we DO?!" But then I got a grip and reminded myself that DS is only four, he has plenty of time to learn all sorts of math, and that I should back off and let him show us how he'll learn it best. I really do believe in unschooling but I also believe that there is "deprogramming" that at least some of us have to go through initially.

The past few days have been really fun and interesting to see how DS gets his math in without a traditional math book or lesson. DS grabbed a measuring tape out of my sewing supplies and we've measured ourselves, toy trucks, etc. in inches and centimeters and talked about the difference between the two. We counted by twos when DS noticed the numbers and lines measuring the number of cups of water in the coffee maker. DS pointed out that eating one of his four apple slices would leave him with three.

There are other examples, but I'm sure you all get the idea. I'm really, really happy and excited to see how all of this works and to see DS's curiosity being sparked by things around him.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 11:16 PM

Glad to hear it's working out for you. I'm amazed at how often my kids encounter math throughout their day: adding up dice while playing a board game, dividing up goodies between themselves, price comparisons while shopping, they've even learned about percentages from our electronic devices (cell phones, iPad, etc) because the amount of battery life left is expressed as a %. I've gotten to the point where I have to truly wonder how any child could NOT encounter basic math while going about their lives.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-02-2010, 11:54 PM

How fun! - Lillian
#4 of 4 Old 10-04-2010, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yeah, math is the most fun when it just happens. nice story, glad to read it :-)

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page