Dh and I disagree about unschooling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-10-2002, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there. I am the mother of four children. My oldest is 10 and the only one old enough to be "officially" schooled. Anyway, I believe in unschooling, mostly. I do have my son do math nearly every day. Then we touch on this and that but nothing very structured. My dh wants to make him do book reports, papers, etc. I don't believe in that stuff anyway. I think it takes the fun out of learning and I don't see the point of it. Dh says the kids will never get through college without this knowledge. I say they will learn what they need to know when they need to know it. Since all college teachers expect/want different things why try to guess now what will happen in 10 years?

I don't know what I'm asking for here. Support, advice, experiences. Maybe I just needed to vent.

Thanks!

Amy

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2002, 05:03 PM

Hi Amy, maybe you could keep a notebook of what you spend your days on to help dh understand more of what ds is learning. Just a thought,
#3 of 8 Old 05-10-2002, 08:49 PM

I also believe that book reports and papers suck the fun right out of learning...especially at your ds' age. I agree with khrisday..keep a log of the things your son does daily. Also round up anything written he has done and keep that too. After a bit show it to your dh and he'll see that your son is getting everything he needs in bits and pieces. Some people have just been so schooled that they don't understand how anyone can learn well without it. It may just take a while for your husband to come around.
Kylix
#4 of 8 Old 05-10-2002, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! That's a great idea! I will keep a log. I'm so unstructured that I don't even do that but I know I should!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 8 Old 05-11-2002, 01:51 AM

Let your ds keep the log if he is at all interested. That way your dh can see his writing and work. Maybe he would like a nice sketchbook to draw, and write lists of things he wants to read, or do, places he may want to adventure off to, photos that are of cool things he has made, cartoons he cuts out of the paper and his renditions of funny moments during the day. It is a nice thing for a boy to have, since in our society 'girls' keep a diary and boys seem to get to miss out on that fun and release of emotion.
Mary
#6 of 8 Old 05-12-2002, 12:18 AM

here's an idea if you want to meet dh halfway - what if you were to put together a newspaper with your son? it could be a summary of the year's studies or something you do just in a week or whatever. you and ds could decide together what to include (interviews with neighbors, mail deliverer, weather report, whatever) - and perhaps a book review column would be a fun thing to suggest. it might also be fun to do it 'secretly' - so it will be a surprise for dh - maybe even send it out to relatives.

just a thought, here. i'm remembering how much i enjoyed doing my own newspaper (in school) when i was about 10.
#7 of 8 Old 05-12-2002, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

The newspaper is such a cute idea. I'll run that by my son. I think he would really be into that and maybe it would make dh feel more secure too! Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

Amy

#8 of 8 Old 05-12-2002, 02:34 PM

That would be a really nice father's day gift, what a great idea!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page