Seeing it in action (long and happy) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2010, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ever have one of those days that you know that you're doing things right?

That was today, in the morning ds picked up a book of experiments that we got at the library, one of those ones with lots of pictures, and replicated one of the experiments himself, one about a ramp and friction. The only help he asked for was finding a big enough piece of cardboard.

Then we met some friends at the pool, where the big deal is the water slide. After four times of going up with him he was ready for me to just catch him. Then suddenly he called to me from the slide to not catch him because he could swim now. And sure enough he swam the ten feet to the wall himself.

It always happens this way around here. I start to get antsy about him learning something, and think about some sort of lessons, even with me or out of the house and then he goes and teaches himself what he needs.

Oh and some how in the last week he's figured out the difference between lower case and upper case letter and knows what most of them are. Again nothing we sat down and did. Just a erasable letter book we picked up a while ago that we keep around.

The biggest thing I find myself doing lately is practicing not teaching him. As an ex-teacher it still is a battle inside of me to let him lead. But when stuff like this happens I sigh and take yet another step back from teaching him and another step towards feeling at peace inside myself at doing this.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2010, 12:16 AM

It's wonderful isn't it? It's the "best kept secret" part of unschooling. There is something about watching natural learning unfold the way it's meant to that I find deeply rewarding.

And hooray for your son!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 11-11-2010, 02:54 PM

That is so inspiring. Simple yet joyous moments like that are what it's all about. We've gone from super relaxed, to a little more structured, to much more relaxes again. There are so many more great moments when there is less structure and more natural learning taking place. I too am sort of an ex-teacher except I quit before I started (right before completing my practicum to get my BEd). Stepping back has been a process and it's ongoing. I love hearing stories like yours smile.gif

Rachel

Old 11-12-2010, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

That's really wonderful.

My son is a few months older than yours (12/05) I recently showed him www.starfall.com and stepped back. He has really taken off. He knows most of the letter sounds and frequently sings the phonics song. Better yet, he is constantly pointing out which words sound alike and which letters they start with. It is just fun.

What experiment book do you have? I'd love one with lots of pictures he could do himself.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 11-18-2010, 04:11 PM

Stacey - those moments are just the best, aren't they?  :-)

My 7 yr old just finished teaching himself to read.  It is just the greatest thing to watch!!  Of course, he still stumbles here and there.. but he has been spending the majority of his time pleasure reading recently.. I will come out of my room in the morning to find him reading, with his 9 yr old sister curled up next to him, listening.  luxlove.gifI'm so incredibly proud of him!!   It's also seemed to help my daughter's motivation.. she was already in the processof learning to read as well, but is prone to get frustrated more easily and take breaks, etc..  she doesn't want her brother to be able to do things she can't!

~Sadie fly-by-nursing1.gifintactlact.gif  guitar.gif sewmachine.gif - mom to dd 9/15/01, ds 11/12/03 {ubac}, and ds 4/29/2011, wife to Mitchell.  pos.gif coming soon in late June!

User Tag List