Hi everyone! My unschoolers... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
UnschoolnMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trying to release my cows..Join Me!
Posts: 15,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

have moved out! Does that mean I can no longer claim being an unschooler? I hope not, because we've decided that we are unschoolers for life. My Ds is now 19 and my Dd has just turned 17. My son has been working at a store for the last 6 months and just got an apartment that he is sharing with his friend (and his boss) and his sister. My Dd got her GED and participated in cap and gown. Ds has decided not to get his GED yet, but it's already paid for so whenever he's ready... 

 

I lost the house (and a husband, and my mind...lol) but it turned out to be a good thing in some ways. I am now living in an older RV with my bf and our two dogs. Sounds crazy, right? Kind of. But a little crazy is good.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and that I really hope to be around more- again. MDC has changed a little bit, and I find myself lost here and there. Nice to see familiar faces.

 

Peace, Un


"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
UnschoolnMa is offline  
#2 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 09:37 AM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

Once an unschooler always an unschooler, I think. I love reading about unschoolers who have "launched," picking their parents' brains for wisdom, inspiration and advice. Stick around, please!

 

My own 16-year-old eldest is preparing to move out. She hopes to do so next summer, moving 3000 miles away to a big city where she knows no one (she's lived in a village of 600 all her life), taking a "gap year" to focus intensively on violin before carrying on to university the following year. So the more I hear about other unschoolers transitioning into independent living the better I feel about that prospect.

 

Welcome back to the forum!

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#3 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
 
UnschoolnMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trying to release my cows..Join Me!
Posts: 15,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks so much for welcome back Miranda!

 

    Quote:

My own 16-year-old eldest is preparing to move out. She hopes to do so next summer, moving 3000 miles away to a big city where she knows no one

How cool! Is she excited? Are you terrified? She will have so much fun I bet. I am so pleased with my young adult kids and w/ what they have done in their lives. It's fun to see what comes next. :)


"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
UnschoolnMa is offline  
#4 of 11 Old 11-28-2010, 04:34 PM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

How cool! Is she excited? Are you terrified? She will have so much fun I bet. I am so pleased with my young adult kids and w/ what they have done in their lives. It's fun to see what comes next. :)


There's a lot that has to be worked out, and it seems a long way away to her right now so she's alternating between being excited and feeling demoralized by the length of time it's going to take to make it happen. Me, yeah, I'm a little terrified. Not about her ability to make good choices in terms of social situations and risk assessment, but about her ability to handle the mundane things of independent living (especially those that require the phone like sorting out utility bills etc.). It's Montreal she's aiming for, so there's also the wrinkle added by the fact that she doesn't speak French.

 

If she'd only be willing to consider a room-mate or a homestay type arrangement. More of a "soft landing" kind of transition when moving away from home. But she's not interested in that. She says she will live in a rat-infested broom closet before she will entertain those sorts of arrangements.

 

I guess we'll probably sort it out one way or another.

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#5 of 11 Old 11-29-2010, 05:44 AM
 
purslaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,937
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

It's Montreal she's aiming for, so there's also the wrinkle added by the fact that she doesn't speak French.

  

Miranda



Montreal is a very cool city - bit of a part y town, lots of culture, etc. 

 

The French may very well be an issue in finding a job - but will not be an issue in living.  There are many unilingual anglophones around - she will not have many issues living:  orderring food, finding English books, TV, resources, etc. 

 

The Cost of Living here is quite reasonable  (way better than Vancouver), the driving is insane!!!! 

 

Quebec may not have a reciprocal health agree ment with BC. When I moved from Quebec to BC I had to pay for any medical care in BC then invoice the province of Qubec for the first 3 months I lived in BC.   Look into the health care aspect. 

 

If you have any question, pm me - I lived in Montreal for the first 24 years of my life, and now live about 2.5 hours away and visit regularly.  It is my stomping ground.

 

Kathy

purslaine is offline  
#6 of 11 Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 AM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

The French may very well be an issue in finding a job - but will not be an issue in living. 


Yes, that's the wrinkle of which I spoke, the job one. Until she's enrolled at McGill (fall 2012) she would like to be able to work part-time. She would like to busk, though, so if she can finagle her way into a busking license she'll likely be able to make some money that way.

 

I knew about the lack of health care reciprocal billing since I do physician billings here in BC as part of my job. No surprises there. 

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
#7 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 12:42 AM
 
Needle in the Hay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's great to see you UnschoolnMa!!
Needle in the Hay is offline  
#8 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
 
UnschoolnMa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Trying to release my cows..Join Me!
Posts: 15,152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks Needle in the Hay! Same to you   My life has been twisty turny, and continues to be so, but it's nice to be back here again. With new people in my life, I've had the opportunity to introduce unschooling to folks that have never even heard of such a thing. It's been... interesting! headscratch.gifjammin.gif


"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
UnschoolnMa is offline  
#9 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Arduinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 32,562
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

have moved out! Does that mean I can no longer claim being an unschooler? I hope not, because we've decided that we are unschoolers for life. My Ds is now 19 and my Dd has just turned 17. My son has been working at a store for the last 6 months and just got an apartment that he is sharing with his friend (and his boss) and his sister. My Dd got her GED and participated in cap and gown. Ds has decided not to get his GED yet, but it's already paid for so whenever he's ready... 

 

I lost the house (and a husband, and my mind...lol) but it turned out to be a good thing in some ways. I am now living in an older RV with my bf and our two dogs. Sounds crazy, right? Kind of. But a little crazy is good.

 

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and that I really hope to be around more- again. MDC has changed a little bit, and I find myself lost here and there. Nice to see familiar faces.

 

Peace, Un

Wow, long time no see I'd been wondering how you were. My dd is 21 now but still living at home. I don't post over in this forum very often anymore but I wanted to drop in and say hi.
 

Arduinna is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 08:07 AM
 
cheery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 676
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

 

If she'd only be willing to consider a room-mate or a homestay type arrangement. More of a "soft landing" kind of transition when moving away from home. But she's not interested in that. She says she will live in a rat-infested broom closet before she will entertain those sorts of arrangements.


hmmm ... she'd really rather room with rats than people?  Though I hear rats make nice pets (Maybe they say the same about us!)  Anyway, congratulations to all of you whose kids have become adults.  Can't even imagine that and yet I guess it will happen someday.  I will be happy if the moving away part comes about later rather than sooner. 

 

Good luck to all of you and your (not-) little-ones!


relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
cheery is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 AM
 
moominmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Posts: 5,741
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheery View Post

hmmm ... she'd really rather room with rats than people?  Though I hear rats make nice pets (Maybe they say the same about us!)  


Rats don't mind if you practice violin for 7 hours a day, don't answer the phone much and prefer to socialize away from home. One thing I'll say about our radical unschooling: it has allowed my kids to get a very firm grasp on how they are happiest living their daily lives. 

 

Miranda


Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

moominmamma is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off