curriculum for unschooling under strict laws - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2010, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello.

We moved back home to Sweden last year from the US and decided to put our 9 year-old in school with all the stuff going on with illegalizing homeschooling. Overall, everything is running much more smoothly than I had expected. He doesn't care much for the school part (though without much complaints) but enjoys the social aspect a lot. Swedish schools allow for a lot of interaction between the kids. He also is well on his way to becoming fluent in Swedish which is major since he's resistant to speaking anything but English with me.

Despite the commonplace legal battles of last year, the homeschooling climate seems to have improved since the new school law was passed (very weird since homeschooling was going to be banned as of next year), and more applications are now being accepted around the country. So we are considering applying for it when we move to another town this March. This is no free America though and schools are heavily involved in the process, I believe they do monthly 'check-ups', at the school, and we'd be required by law to comply with the national curriculum. For this reason I'm considering using our own curriculum of some sort. Looking for ideas on what to use that would cover the very basics, mostly math, sciences and english, without being too schooly, and ideally incorporating some 'unschooly' approaches and/or nature-based. 

I would love to go *all* unschooly again, but since my son doesn't have a natural interest in writing and reading yet, I fear we'd run into trouble with the school. At least he loves math. That's all they do in school basically, language and math.

Also, I'm looking for ideas on how to provide social opportunities for him since we're used to living near other homeschoolers. Sweden has very few of them so there are no classes for homeschoolers or any other HS specific social opportunities.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM

#3 of 4 Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Might these help?

http://www.fun-books.com/books/living_is_learning_guides.htm

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2010, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

yes, thanks! i think that might be just what we're looking for. granted it's for US residents, but with our school system starting look more and more like the american curriculum, i'm sure the are lots of overlaps. we'll have to figure in the swedish particulars still, but i prefer something in english as we won't we staying in sweden for too long.

i agree skeptifem, we do use a lot of those things already. we do have myth busters here too, it's one of my boys' favorite shows. i worry little about math and science really since he loves it so much. but how to incorporate reading and writing when he doesn't find it enjoyable. it's sort of convenient that it's his teacher's 'dirty' job now, but when we start homeschooling, i'm not looking forward to being the one telling him to work on something he doesn't like. granted, he's old enough to understand that some things are out of mama's control and just have to be done.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page