It's 8 pm, my Dd starts college tomorrow and... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

(ok so it's regarding college, but we're still unschoolers... as far as I'm concerned anyway, hope it's cool here)

I am in an IM chat with her (she's at her boyfriend's apartment, I am in my RV). Apparently she's having a mini pre college melt down. Oy! She thinks her Psych class will be overwhelming after hearing a friend's friend's experience with it. She's brand new to college and, in my opinion, taking too many classes/credits but financial aid has it's requirements, blah blah. Let the crazy begin!

I have told her this will be an adjustment, and I think she's ready for that. I am not sure she is totally prepared for the amount of paperwork ahead of her that comes with Sociology and Psych classes. I don't doubt her abilities for a nanosecond, but the shift will be pretty large from her recent months. She has promised to visit the student counseling and advising for some help regarding concerns with some classes, her goal, etc and I feel good about that.

So yeah. That's my evening. Drinking a beer and helping Dd through the pre-college mini meltdown via chat window. This is the stuff mama didn't warn me about. LOL  dizzy.gif

Thanks for listening.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Best of luck to her. I agree it is easier to start part time. It is great she is willing to go to counseling and advising. The best thing students can do is use campus resources before they get bad grades and are trying to dig out of a hole. I would also really encourage her to go see her professors during office hours. There are people who want to help her be successful.

#3 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 08:19 AM
2xy

I have been going to school half-time for a little over three years, and financial aid has taken care of everything. I only take two classes a semester.

#4 of 8 Old 01-03-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I hope she can get things whittled down a bit. I think it would be an easier transition, but we shall see. Thanks for the responses guys. I hope to hear from her this afternoon to see what today brought.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#5 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

I started college in the summer and took 2 classes.I think I signed up for 3 and then dropped one.Best wishes to her!

#6 of 8 Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Dar

How did it go?

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#7 of 8 Old 01-19-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking!

Well, she was in 4 classes and full time. Too much. After much fretting and a discussion about letting other people think what they will about her college decisions, she decided to drop Sociology for now. She's still got Psych, Criminology, and Reading. She texted me the other night regarding her decision to drop the one class. She felt it was too much for her right now. I told her to make a list of what she really wants her life to look like right now, no deep thinking, just whip it out asap. She did. I then asked her to think briefly about the things she needs to do or change to get there. It was good, and resulted in her dropping the class this am.

She was concerned she'd be seen as "giving up" or something. I told her that she was giving up: on something that wasn't working for her right now. If anything, it's reason to celebrate. joy.gif

She's feeling better. She is enjoying campus surroundings esp the library and cafe. :) There's a problematic boy in her class (I forgot to ask if he is in the class she's dropped...) that is kind of freaking her (and me) out. I've advised her to distance herself and not to be afraid to get help if he persists in being a total PITA or is scaring her. demon.gif

#8 of 8 Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 AM

Sounds really good.

I know people go through these things at there own pace, but I really wish I had taken less classes per term at University.  I did not have time to savour them, yk?  It was often work, work, work  without the time for thoughtful contemplation I would have liked.  I only clued into this my senior year, though...before that I did not realise that pushing so hard did not *have* to be the way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page