New at this - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello I am new to this homeschooling and I need help... I have 4 children and I love the unschooled method, we are a family with a very strict income.

We have no money for books and such but I do have access to computer and I can print off things.. I know you do not have to have books to teach your child, but what do you label the others ways of teaching down on paper that way it can be recorded?  They watch a lot of the history channel, and all the educational channels as well as other programs... I also print of worksheets.. I need some guidance, I am so lost, and wondering if I made a mistake by doing this... I want what is best for them all mothers want the best for their children, mine love the idea of schooling at home but they want a method without books ( the Normal school books) please help thanks advice needed greatly

#2 of 9 Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We are on the unschooling spectrum. However, I want my children to be exposed to a breadth of ideas that we might not come across in our normal life. Therefore we use the booklist at www.sonlight.com. Most (or at least many) of the books you can get from the library. (I buy mine used, but that still adds up.) We are not religious, so I do not get most of the religious books. I also don't get all the secular books. I read the reviews at amazon.com to decide which books are appropriate for our family. I have not bought the instructor's guides. I figure just reading the books works for our family. There is a secular sonlight users group at yahoo. You can google it.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#3 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 01:37 AM

Go to the library.  Growing up we would take out dozens and dozens of books out at a time on a variety of subjects...and these days you can even request things online and renew online so no worries about racking up fees when you don't have time to run to the library (and of course you can call too to do that).

#4 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 06:38 AM

While this is might take some time to develop, I would try looking into community resources.

Ex:  in our area there is an Early years centre that offers a free drop in for those under 6.  it has a free toy lending library (while you need a child under 6 to access this - once in your home anyone can play with it - and many of the toys are good and educational).  It is free.  The township offers free public skate programs and cheaper swim days.  I would say anytime you are near a stack of brochures from municpalities or museums - get one!  Who knows what is out there?

Factory tours are often free and they can be a blast.

#5 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 AM

Having computer access is key I think, and a library card.  My almost 5 year old just asked us if he could have a snail for his birthday, so we got online and looked at snails and slugs so he could see what he was getting himself into. Well, now he wants a hamster!  LOL!  but that is unschooling to me, my kids ask a question and we go find the info together.  There are lots of worksheets and so forth online, but don't forget experiential learning, cooking/baking, cleaning, going for walks, museums, libraries, cafes, grocery stores.  With unschooling, learning happens everywhere!  Don't stress yourself out, let your kids take the lead, they'll show you where they want to go, and they will learn the whole way!

#6 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruly3 View Post

Having computer access is key I think, and a library card.  My almost 5 year old just asked us if he could have a snail for his birthday, so we got online and looked at snails and slugs so he could see what he was getting himself into. Well, now he wants a hamster!  LOL!  but that is unschooling to me, my kids ask a question and we go find the info together.  There are lots of worksheets and so forth online, but don't forget experiential learning, cooking/baking, cleaning, going for walks, museums, libraries, cafes, grocery stores.  With unschooling, learning happens everywhere!  Don't stress yourself out, let your kids take the lead, they'll show you where they want to go, and they will learn the whole way!

Thank you for all of your advice I like this... How do you log all this, what I mean is how to you write in the journal as in what subjects or do I just jot down what they did??? All of my kids are teenagers, they did not like the text books that they used at school. The thing I am having trouble with is the logging and the planning... I am not perfect about logging so is logging I should do everyday?  I am so lost on this everything I have researched has always went to the textbooks and ordering them and I am not rich we live on a strict budget so I have to watch things...

#7 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 09:46 AM

We didn't log anything that we did really. But then our state doesn't require us to do that so it wasn't something I worried about. We did save anything we liked that we did though; a great art thing that turned out cool, recipes, pictures, web addresses,etc.

As has been stated the library and the internet can be the most amazing window to the world and fun. :)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#8 of 9 Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM

Check out Sandra Dodd.  I think most of her kids are grown, but I believe she may have one teenager at home still. 

http://www.sandradodd.com/

She may have some information on how to do this, and I believe she answers questions posted to her blog. 

Teenagers!   Whew!  You go Momma!

#9 of 9 Old 01-21-2011, 05:41 PM

I second checking out Sandra Dodd's Unschooling website, it's filled with loads of information for new unschoolers. I would also suggest that you check out http://www.besthomeschooling.org, http://www.homeedmag.com, and Joyce Fetteroll's website http://joyfullyrejoycing.com. I found these sites particularly useful when I first began unschooling.

You may find this page on logging / record keeping useful.

http://www.leapingfromthebox.com/art/kmg/recordkeeping.html.

This site has some examples of daily activities translated into "Educationese".

http://web.archive.org/web/20060516065514/http://www.geocities.com/sablehs/Educationese.html

-Erica

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page