what did your USer do today? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

My 4.5yo will play with anything.  Recently it's been hairbands around her animals.  Then twist ties that I was collecting to tie up the tomatoes.  Yesterday she found a cap that she plays with as a cup.  Anything.  So, I've started planting odd objects around to see what happens.  Yup.  I put out a string from a flour bag.  Within 5 minutes she had it tied from one animal to the next.  This is becoming fun for me and a bit of a challenge.  Hmmmm, let's see........

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So my unschoolers are 20 and almost 18 and they are living near me, but not with me now. I believe my Ds is off work today, but since he worked grave yard last night he's probably just getting to bed now @ 9 am. lol  I know that yesterday he was calling stores in town to see if they'd sold out of that tablet that got dropped to $100 from $500.

My Dd spent some time yesterday morning with my dad helping to pack up her great aunt who is moving to be closer to my dad's house. Then she came and hung out with me at work. (I work in the apt community she stays in with her boyfriend....weird coincidence, but it works nicely lol) She's planning her outfit for a big huge rave event, and deciding if she's going to do college this term or not.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We did the library today which is always fun. I picked up a book about telling time for her since she has been walking around with a watch announcing it's "32 'o clock!" (I think the timer is stuck on 32 minutes or something). So we'll see if she is interested.

She has been interested in the sun and moon lately so we got a book about the solar system so I could try to give her a little perspecitve as to relative sizes, how far away ect. It seems to be a little advanced for a 4 yo but we'll just go with what she's interested in. 

She has been asking a lot about what words start with too. She knows all of her letters and can recognize some words but I know phonics would bore her to tears! I am glad she is starting to ask on her own how to spell things, It is so cool to watch her figure things out!

And all of this was done chasing a teething and cranky 1 yo as well, LOL. I think I am deaf in one ear after today.help.gif

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
Old 08-30-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyMama19 View Post

She has been interested in the sun and moon lately so we got a book about the solar system so I could try to give her a little perspecitve as to relative sizes, how far away ect. It seems to be a little advanced for a 4 yo but we'll just go with what she's interested in. 

My favorite book about the moon for little ones is "Sometimes Moon", I forgot the author.  It's about the changing moon, and the little girl gives the different phases names that little kids remember easily, like "dory moon" or "chubby cheek moon".  (Not that they can't learn the scientific names, but for my girls, this imagery really stuck.)  It is a sweet, short book.  I check it out from our library all the time.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What a beautiful thread.  I love reading about everyone's experiences and the varying pace of things.  Our situation is a little different in that we have a teacher (more facilitator, I guess) who works with ours and some other kids, but with an unschool/free school philosophy, so I'll write about the last day I attended with the group, which was field trip Friday.

We met at the organic market and ate tamales and drank agua fresca. Then we hiked to the facilitator's house to check out her bici-maquina, a bicycle-powered washing machine.  The kids pedaled through a load of laundry, using a mineral ball instead of soap.  We headed to the children's library and played Jenga and other games before reading together and apart.  We found some good books with optical illusions, too.

On the way back to the market at the end of the day, we passed a weaving workshop.  The father was winding spools of thread for the giant loom while the son was using foot pedals to push the loom.  They invited the kids in to wind spools using a wooden spinning wheel and I felt the day had come full circle (heh) from bicycle wheels to power laundry to spinning wheels to create spools. 

Back at the market we drank tejate, a local beverage before heading back to various points home.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:11 AM

Yesterday we went to the Children's Museum and out to lunch with my mom.  That kept us busy all morning long.  When we got home we had our mandatory rest break time.  The kids can read, draw or nap quietly in their beds for an hour.  Mama needs the quiet time, and it seems to benefit the kids a whole bunch. 

After nap, we spent a bunch of time playing Angry Birds ROTFLMAO.gif, playing with the neighbor kids and oh yea, my oldest got his Lego Builder Academy set yesterday (shipment #3) so him and DS9 were busy doing that for a good part of the afternoon. 

We were going to visit the library today but DS3 woke up with "a spike in his throat" so we nixed that idea. We watched todays episode of CNN's Student News via iTunes.  They did a short segmet about 9/11.  The kids asked a couple questions about it, but are all too young to remember it happening.  My oldest was only 2 at the time. 

Now DS12 is making a comic, DS9 is playing legos, DS5 and DD8 are waiting to goto grandma's house and the little ones are playing in the living room.  It turning out to be a gorgeous day, so hopefully they go outside for a bit this afternoon. 

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 PM

Another field trip Friday.  We ate breakfast at the organic market and chatted with various vendors (in Spanish, no Zapotec yet!).  Then off to the countryside to see a textile factory that was transformed into an art museum.  There's a show on of sculptural installations through which the children can walk.  My son loves the waterfall fountain that cascades down one side of the building, because it is dyed with cochineal, essentially the purply red guts of a beetle that feeds on local cacti.  Then exploring a ranchito in the countryside, as the loquat harvest approaches.  At least I think they are loquats--they're called "nisperos" down here.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Today my Dd, her boyfriend, and two other friends made their way to a big techno music/rave/camping festival an hour south of us. We'd heard that the Sheriff's Dept was seeking an order to shut them down, but that the court didn't open for that kind of business until 8 or 9. Sooo., the kids hit the road at 7 am hoping to beat the law in. Last I heard people were going to park off road and then hike in. Dd lost cell service (I assume) around 8 am so I have no clue what is happening. I know the news is there. Fingers x'd that my child isn't currently arrested. mischievous.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 PM

Now that school is in session, I feel fabulous that the girls are able to enjoy our gorgeous summer that has finally arrived.  They are busy mixing green apples and mud with water in a 5gal bucket (and...OOPS! "painting" the house.  Sorry girls.....)  Like I've posted before, my 4.5yo can  play with anything just about and "green apple stew" was her own inspiration.  

Conversely, I feel some odd doubt that they won't be learning what they need to know.  DD6 would have been in 1st grade this year and I'm feeling this strange, otherworldly pressure to make sure my kids know about the Monroe Doctrine or the definition of Consonant Digraphs.  Ugh!  Alright, that was pretty easy to talk myself down from that trainload of guilt!

My youngest is now piecing together her puzzle zoo.  That means that every puzzle we own gets put together on the floor to make a "zoo".  Earlier I was barely able to tidy up for a visit from their aunt because no fewer than 5 games were out and part of one grand game.  I was relieved when she pointed out that the 10 she was playing with altogether yesterday were ready to get cleaned up.  Over the last few days she has asked how the world started, what police do, and how machines are made.  Phew!

My oldest just harvested the chard for her dinner, so guess I better log out and get dinner on the table.....

And, Serena, your posts are wonderfully exotic.  Fabulous!  Keep them coming, please!

Old 09-10-2011, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Yesterday was unusual in that we did school-like things for about 2+ hours so I thought I would share here.

1. worksheet on perimeter & area

2. addition worksheet

3. handwriting practice

4. multiplication (using flash cards)

5. one page of "Editor in Chief" workbook (on grammar and composition)

worksheets 1-3 were prepared by me.  She prefers those to ones I can find online or in workbooks - inevitably there is something wrong with them.  So I have to make them on the fly and therefore they are exactly suited to what she can do / is learning.  I also make the sums interesting (i.e. they add up to funny numbers).

Apart from that she read as usual, played outside for ~1 hour, played inside with her dolls, and I think we played a game of Clue or Scrabble too, unless that was the day before.  She also played a bit of flute (just beginning to try it).   We got this new idea of using different languages while playing with the dolls, so that helps keep them in practice as well. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
Old 09-10-2011, 10:43 PM

UnschoolnMa, did you hear from your daughter yet? I hope they are ok and had fun!

I am going to be the "bad" mom here and post that we did absolutely nothing today! The DDs watched cartoons while DH and I watched college football.duck.gifbag.gif hide.gif

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Hey Unschooln Ma, how are you and your daughter?

It is so funny that  in my first post in this kind of thread I reported on schooly-type work.  Anyway, yesterday and today dd has been making doll clothes out of scrap cloth that we have stashed away in a couple of plastic bags.  Also she uses magnetix not only for building things but also for pretend play and she is at present talking about something, to some imaginary people, while making things out of the magnets.  I can't hear it but I can see from her facial expressions it something quite interesting :-)

It has been raining all day so no going outside.  She seemed kind of happy about that in a weird way.  She said, "there are so many interesting things to do in the house."  That was news to me, as I generally worry when we don't get out much.

Breaking News:  she just now took two of the things she made out of the magnets and crashed the together.  She announced, "that was an amazing nuclear reaction."

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Lol. Too cute!

Yesterday we all slept in a bit (apparently today too. I'm the only one up at 11am! lol) We slept too late to volunteer with the food co-op, but made it in time to pick up our produce at least. Then we came home and finished up the breakfast we didn't have time to finish before our pickup time. We had been raising some catapillars into butterflies, and released them yesterday afternoon. The proof copy of Dd's book came in the mail, so she and I lounged on my bed with a red pen making edits for a while. When that was done, we were both jazzed so we hopped on the computer and made all the edits official. Then we emailed everyone we knew links to it. http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/faery-scouts-rainbow-rank/16965894 btw. =D The kids did their chores. Then, they blew colored bubbles over the balcony and played with the neighbors downstairs a bit (a sweet couple in their late teens/early 20s). Then and early dinner so we would be ready for our video chat. My sister is up in Oregon visiting family. She set up to have everyone in one place for a chat with us while she was there. It was fun. The kids have been tired and cranky lately, so they went to bed early.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 AM

How exciting abut your DD's book. I can't seem to look at it on my iPad greensad.gif
Today the littles watched some magic school bus 1st thing (you'll see a theme here lol) then DD remembered her minerals excavation kit she got at the museum yesterday so she did that and DS tried to help while I made breakfast. They watched some more magic school bus while they ate it, then went out to feed the chickens. The next hour or so was spent chasing chickens and cuddling chickens and holding chickens upside down and swinging with chickens and...
Then back inside for a bath (all that chicken wrangling = pretty dirty) followed by more magic school bus.
At some point during the morning's excavation work DS had tipped out the cuisenaire rods, spreading them all over the dining room. So since I had to clean them up at lunch I asked DD if she wanted to do a couple of pages of Miquon math. She ate and answered, I scribed. For some reason she found the equations really funny today. That 7-3=4 got a giggle and 3+3-3 was utterly hilarious. Glad she enjoyed it.
At some point she practiced violin, I honestly can't remember when except that it was pretty early in the day redface.gif while I washed up they built a huge duplo castle for Tinkerbell, including a moat and a drawbridge. I was pretty heartened to see more co-operation than fighting wink1.gif Also at some point in the middle of the day DD asked for her little desk to be moved back into the playroom so she could draw. She drew a picture of herself and I with love hearts "to show how much I love you Mama". First time she's ever done that joy.gif then she drew one for her brother too. Later some more drawing, piano practice, reading eggs and, wait for it....Magic School Bus. I actually suggested they watch iview (online tv) while I mopped but came back in to good old Ms Frizzle. DD devised an ingenious new reading practice strategy too, asking me to write the names of the episodes she was searching for on a white board we have ithe lounge room. That way she didn't need to keep calling me back.
In the late afternoon we headed out to bring in some wood (early Spring here and still cold at night) for the fire and almost and hour of bike/tricycle riding. After dinner DD decided to do the dishes so I vacuumed then helped her. We put some oats to soak for breakfast, brushed out teeth, hopped into bed and I read a book to each of them (and nursed DS) and off they slipped. Usually I have to read to DD for about 2 hours, so despite seeming like a pretty chilled home day I guess it must have been tiring.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
Old 09-12-2011, 07:20 PM

I'm lovin' it all, but especially Serena...I want to move there and I really need a bicycle powered washing machine. 

Today:  DD4 woke up and watched a kundalini yoga dvd with her dad.  It has been a really lazy couple days.  She played with some clay.  Making airplanes and mermaids.  We played guitar and drums together.  We did some chanting in Sanskrit. 

We did some word flash cards, but she mostly wanted to ask the words in spanish.  She did a little bit of spelling and sounding out the words.  Then she watched El Perro y El Gato for a few minutes before the internet conked out. She decided to teach her little sister some sign language and spanish.

She went to the bed and "read" her books to herself.  A little later we looked at WordWorld books.  I did a little blogging and we looked at some other blogs together, pictures of baby chicks and sweet potato fries got her making up her own stories and planning for when she gets to play with baby chicks and make sweet potatoes.

She's been "telling some questions" about when someone is not nice and what makes her sad.  This always happens when she's in the bathroom or when one of us is in the bathroom.  She also likes to remind us when to brush our teeth, after every meal. We also did a lot of counting today.  Singing the 1,2 buckle my shoe song and we played some intuitive development games with dominoes.

Now she's creating slides, castles, forts and bridges and running down them.  Later she wants help doing ballet and she wants to call her cousin who's birthday is today, he's 10 days older than her.  She's playing with our rat now.

We're still doing EC with DD1 who is doing more signs and mimicking a lot of behaviors and putting on her shoe by herself.

Yesterday we went to the flea market.  We get most of our produce there.  She likes to sit down and make grocery lists with me.  We also watched a great movie called The Quickening and it was the first time she's seen pyramids so she went on and on about it.  We've been doing spirit animal meditations and she's been talking a lot about different kinds of animals.  When we got out she tells me what kinds of birds are around, what kinds of trees, what kinds of animals eat the kinds of fruit, nuts, leaves, etc around us.  Tomorrow we're going swimming again, we took a three day hiatus, to her it was "10 days"...everything is 10 times, 10 minutes, 10 seconds or 10 days to her.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks for your kind words FeatherStory and SweetSilver.  I'm newer than most all of you to unschooling and was actually an inner-city public school teacher in a previous incarnation, so this thread has helped me immeasurably.  The Mexican school system tends toward the rigid and the rote, so we tried it for awhile and are now finding this new path. 

The past two days have been about attaching objects to the walls to make a giant marble run.  The children used rope and twine and strung up carrizo, a bamboo-like plant that is hollow, to create a series of dips and ramps for the marbles.  But plain old toilet paper tubes worked better!  Then it was lunch break to make nachos and boil up hibiscus blossoms for agua fresca.  My daughter snuck some reading in, due to needing a break after being cranky about marble-hogging.  The day ended with the neighbors tossing over bunches of alfalfa into the yard, which the kids fed to the goats, sheep, and burros in the neighboring field. 

P.S. I wanted to add that my son tried a bicycle-powered chocolate grinder last week, too!  And the beans were toasted in a solar oven.  It's a lot of work, but with delicious results.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:25 AM

I love reading this kind of thread! lurk.gif

Sooo, my daughter and her boyfriend are accounted for and well. So the promoter/organizer for the rave failed to get the necessary permits for the festival, and the city used that as a reason for the shut down. Promoter guy's story is that he never bothers with the permit process because it's time consuming and costs more than the fine for not getting it. He usually just has the rave anyway and pays his fine. This year the city was faster than him I guess. They cited a girl falling and needing some stitches at last years event, and the drug use that occurs. (Duh. lol)  Anyway, they were among about 80 people that got in early, before the road blockade. Dd's friend knew a DJ for the event so they got to camp in the good spot for one night. By the second day the cops swept the place, and they made the decision to leave. Some friends stayed and prob got arrested. She said she had a great time, but she is getting her money refunded which is good because $100 is no small change.  She starts fall term in 2 weeks I believe. Exciting!

Old 09-15-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

We did some structured type learning today.  We read a book called "Punctuation Takes a Vacation" which was funny and a solid introduction to punctuation.  She did a worksheet or two - we have a new printer and I am loving being able to pop stuff out of the printer rather than writing it by hand!!!

She also played on Funbrain and decided she wanted to work her way through the math games.  She needs a fair bit of help so was constantly calling me over to give her the answer, lol.  Some of the games are timed which is tricky for her as she takes a bit of time to sort out the answers.  Anyone know any untimed fun math games for the 7-10 yr old set?

At this moment she is cutting up a cardboard box and turning it into a tv. 

That is it - pretty darn typical, actually.

Old 09-15-2011, 02:59 PM

UnschoolinMa, glad she's ok. I'm surprised the organizer is offering a refund. Cops are typically considered something like an act of God. If the organizer brought the musicians and the equipment to the site, they generally consider themselves to have met their basic obligations to attendees. I grew up with some of the founders of what this music scene currently is, both organizers and musicians. For that matter, dh and I have worked many an event out on the west coast. He's been working security at these things for at least ten years, and I was a staff medic until my pot allergy got so bad that I have to wear a respirator now if I'm going to be around the stuff. Getting a permit has only ever been a failed experiment with this sub-culture. It's like painting a big target on your attendees. I'm the only person I've ever met at one of these that wasn't partaking in something illegal, in over a decade. Even the staff only stays soberish for their shifts, maybe. lol Plus, if you get a permit, you have to provide port-a-toilets, and fire safety equipment, and in some areas even have licensed security and medical staff on duty at all times. The trappings of permits undermine the whole event.

We had some structured learning today too. Ds finished about 1/4 of Teaching Textbooks Math7 today. A pile of papers is sitting next to me right now because he asked me to grade them. lol I was going to, but got distracted because I couldn't find a red pen. If I'm going to be grading papers, I'm going to go all out. =D The kids both really enjoy the Teaching Textbooks workbooks, but have no interest in the computer program. I had found a website I could buy just workbooks, and need to find that and order him the next level. He's done 5th, 6th, and is almost finished with 7th, and is still enjoying the books. He gets really into it and pumps out a whole bunch about every 3 weeks, then doesn't touch it the rest of the time. Right now, it sounds like the kids are doing dishes. They're in there singing and joking. I don't want to peak on, lest I break it up. They've both been on a big reading kick lately, so I haven't had much to write about. They've gone through about a book a day. They've both read Moby Dick, Hichhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, all the Whinnie the Pooh books, and ds read Old Yeller yesterday. What they want to read is the 39 Clues books. We need to go to the library or go buy them the next few in the series. They've only read the first 2-3 I think.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 09-15-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
For that matter, dh and I have worked many an event out on the west coast. He's been working security at these things for at least ten years, and I was a staff medic until my pot allergy got so bad that I have to wear a respirator now if I'm going to be around the stuff. Getting a permit has only ever been a failed experiment with this sub-culture. It's like painting a big target on your attendees. I'm the only person I've ever met at one of these that wasn't partaking in something illegal, in over a decade. Even the staff only stays soberish for their shifts, maybe. lol Plus, if you get a permit, you have to provide port-a-toilets, and fire safety equipment, and in some areas even have licensed security and medical staff on duty at all times. The trappings of permits undermine the whole event.

Yeah she was way surprised that she got the refund, and promptly too. She left mostly because they were, ahem, partaking in things illegal, lol whistling.gif... so I advised her to get outta dodge. I agree the trappings of the permit stuff is really anti the whole point! 

Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM

We had a slow day around here today, after being out and with people for the last too days for way to many hours today was a home day. Ds reorganized his studio, painted with ink. Drew. Watched some old school Snoopy, played with the cats, watched some other videos, made some sort of elevated line with his blocks and train tracks. Built towers of boxes and pillows, cuddled the cats, helped clean the kitchen, looked through some Richard Scarry books, helped his Papa hang laundry (of course it rained ten minutes later). Ds was exhausted and in an awful mood so I tried my hardest to give him space and give him lots of love.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 09-17-2011, 12:41 AM

I'm really glad everything worked out so well. I'm curious who the organizer was. That was uncharacteristically well handled! As for the illegals, it's darn near impossible to find any kind of group or organization with a high value for personal choice and individual freedoms that isn't rife with the stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Yeah she was way surprised that she got the refund, and promptly too. She left mostly because they were, ahem, partaking in things illegal, lol whistling.gif... so I advised her to get outta dodge. I agree the trappings of the permit stuff is really anti the whole point! 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 09-17-2011, 10:11 AM

Yesterday we went to our favorite park, Tumwater Falls Park near Olympia.  It has two concrete boats to play on but no other toys.  It's enough to keep them very happy though.  It also has lawn and trees and a steep hill for rolling down.  It's full of natural things but not wild and wooly in the way that can intimidate little kids at times.  The girls ran and ran and rolled and played.  

The river in the park (Washington's Deschutes River) *is* wild and wooly on this stretch, otherwise I think we'd still be there this morning!  This time of year the Chinook salmon are making their way up the river and fish ladder to the hatchery where they swim around confused because there is no good spawning grounds in the tank.  Though it was a quiet day yesterday, other years we have gone and seen quite a show of salmon leaping in the ladder and (even more fun!) attempting to jump up the falls.  The Deschutes has not had a natural salmon run in its history (I tried looking that fact up again but haven't found it yet) because the falls are high enough to be a natural barrier to migration.  

Fish are not the only thing to find in the ladder.  Licorice fern roots itself in the moss on the concrete walls.  One species of spider, like a grey-black orb weaver, spin their webs just under the grates.  Later in October they grow to immense size, out of the reach of birds.  My youngest, the bug-lover, is particularly fascinated by them.

This is the park where I learn so much about HSing and USing.  We all learn to balance the needs of others: slow down a little, or speed up a little.  I learn to be unconcerned when we stick our rear ends up in the air to look down into the fish ladder for leaping fish.  I practice patience and spontaneity.  And we play!

On the way dd2 asked about some workers on the railroad tracks.  This made me think about sometimes stopping if we had the time.  That would be a fun way to learn about what people do and why.  But this time we were on our way to open gym, a favorite stop since they were tiny.  We passed by an abandoned farm-turned-wildlife preserve.  Yup, the swallows were still there though we expect them to leave any day now that fall weather has arrived.  In a month or two the elk will come down out of the Black Hills into this hay field to graze for the winter.  We regularly stop to watch them.  I think I'll stow a pair of binoculars in the car.

We stopped by the Oly Farmer's Market.  I love this time of year.  The produce stands are fairly bursting!  Anyone visiting this town must visit this market.

I look forward to early fall.  The river just south of us and the sky over it is a favorite flyway for migrating birds.  Migrating salmon make several parks an adventure.  Chum salmon are migrating well into November.  Our giant puddles in the front of our gravel driveway fill up until spring.  Time to get out boots and umbrellas and work on those sweaters I promised them.  I got the wool socks out by the front door.  And Halloween costume planning is chugging along at full speed.  That's dh's corner.  He has helped create some of the best costumes--two years ago it was sharks, last year a goblin (from the Hobbit) and a brown bat.  This year a vampire and a witch.

Sorry for the long post, but this day has been one we have repeated for the last 5 years and it is one of my favorite days of the year.

Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM

We got up late, ate breakfast that we cooked together. Dd dictated her daily letter to daddy and we mailed it off, our morning ritual. Ds drew a picture of himself titled "The Man on Mars" (can you guess what his latest obsession is?) and we sent that off with the letter too. We took a long walk around the perimeter of our property, checking for broken fence or wire mesh sections that needed replacement, stopping to look at whatever caught their interest and to look for tiny fish in the streams. That took up most of the morning.

Spent time with the outside animals, Ds and I riding and Dd sulking a little just watching. We've been looking for a horse for her for over a year now, but no matches that feel right yet, meanwhile Ds got his first pony, which is family tradition when you're 5, going back to my grandma, a few months early this week. She's a little indignant that he got to his rite of passage before her. And a year early to boot :o But she got over it and had fun with him giving his new and rather unkempt friend a bath.

We forgot about lunch but visited more animals, a mama and 3 baby raccoons who've taken up residence in one of our trees. Keeping a safe distance of course. We talked about and then ran in to google rabies and ticks, which led to lyme disease, which scared Dd and fascinated Ds. Played with our cats and dogs and then I showed them how to check the dogs for ticks in their paws and ears. They had a late snack and are still thinking over what they want for dinner. And realized too late that it was Saturday, not Friday, and that we'd accidentally missed our homeschool co-op, which bummed us all out a little. Ds and I worked on a space-themed playlist for the iPod (any suggestions?). And now they're playing Mario Kart together and grazing on what I think might be the end of our strawberry harvest of this year.

There's a new crisp in the air and a bite in the wind the first time today, and it's a sign the seasons are starting to change. I'm already gearing up for fall with a renewed zeal, but thinking of whisking them off to the beach tomorrow for one last hurrah of summer before we pack in our boogie boards and get out our boots.

Today was packed.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM

I'm loving the tales of exploring rivers and sighting animals in their habitats.  We've had a couple more distinctly urban days around here.  Today we ventured to the archaeological ruins of Mitla and then to a village market day packed with everything.  We just made it back to the city center to hit the giant lucha libre masked wrestling match, held in an open field by the fire station.  And who did we run into there but my son's teacher, who just got back to Oaxaca after a vacation, so that was very exciting.  My son wore his Psycho Clown mask and we spent three hours screaming "tecnicos!" rooting for the good guys and booing the "rudos" out of the ring.  And I am now so very tired.  I look forward to another week of unschooling updates from around the globe.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Well this morning we all wrestled for a while, this is DH's Saturday. Then Ds and I went to the coffee shop to meet another unschooling Mama and only child (they even share a birthday). Ds taught the other mom to play mancala and there was bionicles and us mamas got to talk lots. Ds and Dh are making some sort of lunch and zip line (?) and then we're heading out for an afternoon hike and maybe a special stop for some burgers.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM

We've still been in "deschooling" mode. 

Last week we did a bunch of fun things:

-watched our CNN Student News

-played trivial pursuit and yahtzee several times

-made some stop motion animation videos using lego min-figs

-made still life drawings

-more random drawing

-read a book about french painters

-legos

-video games

-helped with chores/cooking

-crafts (scissor practice, letter recognition, number sense)

-learned about a bunch of abbreviations on a car trip

-trip to the library

-chatted about nutrition

-did some rebus puzzles

-played informal soccer

-got 2 copies of Nat'l Geo Kids magazines in the mail.  DD8 read them from cover to cover

and today is DD10s birthday :D

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM

This morning DD wanted to do something about birds again (this has been her kick lately) so we made an eagle out of construction paper and learned a little about golden eagles which live out here in colorado. She remembered seeing them at the raptor center awhile back so I may take her back there later this week. And taking some inspiration from SweetSilver, there is a golden eagle habitat not too far from here that we can go see. DD2 can ride in the backpack but I doubt DD1 can hike quite that far but we can it least get in the general area of where they live. She then played with a bunch of pastels (a new medium for her) while I cleaned up the disaster that is our kitchen and entertained DD2. DD1 then showed me 5 of her dances (I can so picture her becoming a choreographer or something) and we pretty much just played the rest of the day.

I am so type "A" that I am really having to be careful to make sure she just plays most of the day instead of scheduling something or trying to cram all sorts of lessons in. I am trying to ust following her lead and enjoy the last couple months of nice weather before the Colorado winter sets in!

Old 09-20-2011, 04:48 AM

Our TV broke. No big deal. The kids can watch things on their laptops. We searched everywhere for the DVD drive to hook up for them...and dh comes out with "don't you remember? We don't have one anymore. It broke months ago." He did mention that it "broke" but in a "I just need to jiggle this screw and now it's fine" way. I guess no one has tried to use it in all that time and he just figured we'd noticed it missing by now.  ....  .... .... we read a lot today.... .... .... ....  ds12 is working on the Lord of the Rings books. Dd10 finished the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy "trilogy" (5 books) yesterday. They're both working on 39 Clues, and dd said she wants to start the Here There Be Dragons series today. It's still over 100 outside, and we're cold weather people, so we're kinda housebound. Funny, in the middle of winter in snow country we would make it outside on a daily basis...wearing 3 layers under snowsuits, maybe, but still...

You know, we don't even use the TV daily, but somehow breaking it is totally throwing off our groove. Like we all went brain dead and can't think of anything else to do. WTH? lol

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 09-20-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

You know, we don't even use the TV daily, but somehow breaking it is totally throwing off our groove. Like we all went brain dead and can't think of anything else to do. WTH? lol

Just One Of Those Days.  I'll have 5 "library movies" lined up to watch but will go to bed early every night.  Then, when all those have gone back unwatched I can't think of anything to do but sit in front of the tube.  Go figure!  So, I'm with you on this one....

Today I worked nearby doing housekeeping.  I only have to drive 5 minutes to this job, which is wonderful for a change.  DH had to meet a contractor at our nearby property, so my oldest got dropped off with me while the youngest when with dh.  DD1 worked with me diligently for over an hour and I rewarded her by giving her $6-- a fortune for her considering her allowance is 1.50 per week (1 quarter for each year).  One advantage (amidst all the disadvantages) of having self employed parents is the easy availability of real work to earn real money at an early age.  DD1 is strongly motivated by money and what it gets her.  She has mentioned a stand to sell jam at.  Luckily WA state now has a "Cottage Foods Act" which legalized the sale of certain classes of homemade goods.  Before you had to do all your work in a certified kitchen to legally sell, no matter what it was.  So this will become a distinct possibility in the future.  I am heartened by moominmama's posts and pics of her girls' market stand.  

DD2 spent her morning playing in the dirt piles of the construction site.  Beautiful dirt!  Soft, no rocks, gorgeous, beautiful dirt.  Rust-colored dirt.  All the way up to her armpits, up to the knees, and fully plastered on her tushy!  And, of course, they were headed straight into town to go to the "big library".  Have to learn to stash extra clothes when we visit again......  Later she beaded another plastic-bead necklace.  They've had these beads for months and she finally decided she was going to do something with them.  She finished a blue necklace and bracelet and is now working on a yellow one.  She is delighted that she has finished something.  Worked on the erector set for a few minutes, and even did a couple steps all by herself.  Cleared out the giant cardboard box (collapsing) to make a bed for the cat.  All the toys that were in there?  No idea where they went and I'm afraid to look....

User Tag List