What to read? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-08-2011, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So we finally decided that we are going to homeschool! Yeah! But now I need to get reading.  So what do I read?  I am leaning towards unschooling with some Montessori and Waldorf influences.  Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2011, 09:31 AM

I'm not sure that I've ever read a book that really tells you how to "do" unschooling (though there may be some out there). It's hard because unschooling looks different for different families. And I think it's more about what you Don't do than what TO do. 

Anyways, with that said I do find blogs to be a great source of information. There are many blogs out there written by unschoolers that document their daily lives, their struggles and their acheivements, and I find that a good selection of such blogs gives one a real feel for what unschooling looks like, or can look like, in real life. Here are some of my favorite unschooling blogs:

Nurtured by Love (by MDC's own moominmama!)

A Handmade Life

Free Range Living

Clan of Parents

Home Learning Victoria

There are more but my old laptop died and I lost many of my bookmarks. Oh, and I also happen to write an unschooling blog, too. ;-) FreeLearners

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 03-08-2011, 07:50 PM

sandra dodd's big book of unschooling is pretty good, as is the teenage liberation handbook (for older kids)...

I do second the blog recommendation, though, I feel like blog-hopping can really give you a sense for different "flavors" of unschooling. I really like "Ordinary Life Magic" and "The Organic Sister"

Unschooling mom of two.
I write online[URL]http://Http://organicencyclopedia.com[/URL] about whole food and plant based diets.

User Tag List