Just when I start to really worry... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-15-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
,about history this time, my 7yo ds comes home from the library with non-fiction books on medieval armour, WWII and the Vietnam War and has been wanting to read them every night at bedtime. It's so funny how that always seems to work for us. Just when I had started to worry about him not reading, he started reading all kinds of things. He still doesn't read whole books yet but he's reading more and more word s, reads lots of new signs when we're out and about, wants to follow along while I'm reading. Just wanted to share because I think it's so cool the way my kids do things just the way they should as long as I step back and stay out of the way.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:
It's so funny how that always seems to work for us.

Isn't it though!  Uplifting story, thanks for sharing. 

Not to sidetrack, but you know what else is funny?  I was chatting with a group of parents yesterday at the playground.   (There are no other homeschoolers or unschoolers for miles around here.) Anyway, I mentioned that that morning my daughter wanted a "class" and since I generally end up doing math when she makes this request for a class I decided this time to do history.  Then I told them some of the interesting questions and discussion that came up in our "class."  The parents' reaction (apart from amusement): "oh our kids dont start history until 5th grade."    MarineWife I think your post reminded me of this because we have ideas about when kids should learn what - whereas if they are free to do it in their own time they will often surprise us.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2011, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hm...that is interesting. Since schools don't start teaching history until the 5th grade, parents don't talk to their kids about it?

My ds asks for "real" school every so often, too. That's when I pull out the workbooks and/or print off some worksheets from various internet sites. I try to give him a little of everything to do. He gets bored with it rather quickly.

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page