Ds2 wants to go to kindergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-27-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

We didn't arrive at USing until this year, in the middle of ds1's 1st grade.  Ds2 was in pre-K.  He loved school, and we did like this preschool b/c of the head teacher.  Now we love USing and don't plan to send #3 or #4 to preschool at all, and no one to school.  Ds2, though, wants to go to kindergarten.  Ds1 tried to tell him "You think school will be fun b/c you think you'll be able to play with your friends, but really, they just make you do work.  Homeschool is learning by having fun."  But ds2 doesn't believe him.  How do I talk him out of this?  (School is not an option here - very displeased with district.)

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
On hospital bedrest for pPROM since 23 weeks
#2 of 3 Old 05-27-2011, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I know someone who is sending her dd to the Y for kindergarten because she doesn't like the school district... Our Ys have homeschool Swim and Gym programs once a week, too.  Maybe there is some kind of non-school program your ds2 would enjoy that wouldn't be too schoolish.  Maybe an aftercare program?  Maybe there is an afternoon care program geared for childcare of schooled kids in morning K programs?  Just some kind of class or activity might satisfy his desire to do something in a group of other kids.  Maybe there is a homeschool coop near you? 

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 3 Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Check around in your area, Denver is about the same size city and we have a district run enrichment program that my DS is going to next year. He will be in a Kindergarten "class" once a week. It's all about the other parts of learning that do benefit from having more kids around, like Winter Concert. He was really excited about it, especially since two of his friends are going to be there with him. I went and visited for the Open House and felt comfortable that it wouldn't push him in ways he wasn't ready for and they don't seem to care if you use curriculum or unschool or something in between.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page