Roll Call: how many of us are here? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What kind of a member are you? What are your needs on this board?
I come here regularly to both ask questions and to answer them. 4 7.69%
I come here regularly to mostly ask questions. 0 0%
I come here regularly to mostly answer questions and share my experiences. 8 15.38%
I come here only when I have a problem or doubt myself. 2 3.85%
I come here to read / get inspired, but I hardly ever post. 33 63.46%
Other, please elaborate. 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm curious about the numbers and intentions.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#2 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 02:37 PM

I have not really been here before.  I may have read something randomly over the years.  I'm here to participate however I can right now, since this will be first attempt at really regularly unschooling.  My oldest is four in a few weeks and is really, really involved in her learning so I want to help her with that.  At the same time, I've been unschooling her since she was born and knew for a few years before she was born that I would unschool my kids.  I was a nanny and studied quite a lot about alternative forms of education and literacy studies so I'm 100% committed to unschooling, advocacy and support other parents who do the same.  I'm here for all of the above. 

#3 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Here?  482?  Resistance is futile?  tiphat.gif

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 09:13 AM

I'm here a lot, mainly for inspiration, talking me down from my own overthinking, and to babble when I feel like what I have to say might be useful.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#5 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 10:05 AM

I am here...used to be a lot, then was sporadic, now fairly regularly again.  I dont post much as I dont often feel I have much to say.  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#6 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I don't share much.  MDC has changed over the years and I don't have time for the same debates over and over again.  My kiddo is getting older, almost 11 now, and pretty set in his ways.  When I do need schooling advice or lesson plan help its not the same material MDC mommies use so I look else where for that anyway.

I to like to follow some of the other families and what they are doing. Dar- you are my hero, mooninmama (sp) you too, 

I unschool as much as I can but DS is starting to demand some other methods and he wants 'more' in life.  He is pretty heavy into STEM classes so math and science for credit at this point are a must.  He is writing lab reports this year etc.  (not exactly unschooling).

I also live in one of the worst states for public education and my kiddo has his eyes set on one of the best universities in the country so momma's got some work to do.   LOL

Dar likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM

I'm still arround, but we've shifted our life around a lot in the past year. I quit my job and we opened a store that sells new and consigned educational materials (brick and mortar) and hosts classes. I'm teaching 4 classes to homeschoolers. We "do school" because it's very clear we all need to do it that way or the kids feel like they aren't getting what they need. It's on the schedule because we are wicked wicked busy and it's too easy to push it aside until they are super pissed about it.

I post advice about specific materials that might match a learner, but rarely on philosophy questions.

I've got two very different learners, both very bright, and it requires a lot of work on my part to match up what's out there with what they need.

I actually got a lot more out of the homeschooling forum when it was all combined because I loved hearing many perspectives applied to a problem.

Lillian, moominmama and Dar's stories have been a big help to my family. I'm still stumped with my older one sometimes, but having a lot of faith in her and us. I tried to talk her into building school this year, but she shot me down. We really are enjoying doing more formal school together and running a store together and planning my classes together and cleaning the house together: dp, dd1, dd2 and me. As usual both of them are pretty good at going after what they want and need, even if it doesn't look anything like any particular homeschooling philosophy.

#8 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 PM

I voted "other", because I've been at various points on the home/unschooling spectrum for many years now, but haven't always had the time/space to chat online about our adventures and mishaps.  I still miss the unschooling dot com boards, back in 2003/2004-LOL.  I think they actually led me to MDC, heh.  I'd love to have a place where people are just chatting about the cool things they're doing in their lives, things that are free of coercion, threats, force, and arbitrary/artificial "have-tos".  Whether or not your kiddo's doing book reports doesn't spell out unschooling to me--it's the question of whether or not you're making him.  Does that make sense at all?? wink1.gif

This week, I am getting to go to Rethinking Everything--a four-day long unschooling conference in the DFW area.  I've never been before, and I am unspeakably psyched about getting to hang out with truly like-minded parents!!  I've met people who are adults now, but went as kids, and still credit the conference as a paradigm-shifting life experience.  If we could capture just a bit of that sort of energy in an online forum, I'd be amazed--and also posting/reading regularly! winky.gif

Freethinking Earth-mama of five. uc.jpg

#9 of 22 Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 AM

Hi all!

I saw the other post and would love to see this forum become more active! I come here for inspiration but rarely post because with only a 4 and a 1 year old I don't feel I have much to offer.

That said, I do plan on taking an unschooling approach with my 2 girls. The 4 yo is very precocious, artistic, curious and excitable. I fear that if I put her in P.S. that they would diagnose her with ADHD or something because she is SO active, is rarely still and if she doesn't want to participate in something she simply won't! Typical for a 4.5 yo in my opinion but I am not sure the p.s. would see it that way. But that is a whole other discussion!

The main reason I am interested in unschooling is that it is learning through life. I did very well in school but it was very much intake, regurgitate for an "A" and dump. I got out of school and had a lot of facts but little experience and not much was retained. Life learning and unschooling children seem to truly LEARN and retain the information rather than always competing to set the curve like I did. Anyway, that is what got me interested and so far that is the approach we plan on, though with them still quite little I am sure what works for us will evolve and change as they do!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#10 of 22 Old 08-29-2011, 09:16 AM

i lurk.  i also stalk the other education forums, too.  it's kind of silly in some ways to say we unschool a two year old, but that is our intention for the future and i do somewhat feel that is what we're already doing. 

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#11 of 22 Old 08-29-2011, 12:49 PM

I wouldn't say I "hardly ever post" but I don't post very much, as I don't consider myself an expert on unschooling. Nor a pure unschooler. I come here more to learn from what I read, or to get inspired or reassured. Occasionally I post.

#12 of 22 Old 08-29-2011, 02:27 PM

It's not very active here, so when I do post, it's because I've remembered this is here and read the recent stuff.

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#13 of 22 Old 08-30-2011, 08:52 PM

I just started lurking here. I have a daughter who is 3.75 and in preschool. She is very happy there, and in the summer constantly asks when she can go back (even though we stay quite busy and happy). I also have a 1 year old son, so I'm trying to figure out if I should ever enroll him in any school.

I really like the idea of unschooling. I don't know much about it, and I'm trying to learn more. I guess I don't know if dd should go to preschool if she wants to and I can still "unschool" her at home. Or if should pull her out and start unschooling her. Or if I should just take her out in time for Kindergarten, since I really don't want to send her there. This is so confusing, so I'm here to learn. I don't post anything because I don't have anything to add- maybe someday!

#14 of 22 Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM

Hi. I mostly read.  I don't post much because I rarely feel like I have something worthwhile to say.  Also, ds is on the young side ( 5 1/2) and up to now we haven't really been doing much.  Maybe now that he is officially supposed to be in school I might be a bit more active.

ds 3/06 familybed1.gif
#15 of 22 Old 09-01-2011, 07:56 PM

I come to MDC semi regularly now, but I always come to the unschooling board when I visit. I rarely start a thread, but sometimes I do. I often post in already existing threads. :) My unschoolers are adults/nearly adults now, but we are unschoolers for life.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#16 of 22 Old 09-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I mostly just lurk here to get info for the future, as I don't have kids yet. Every now and then a post comes up where I have something to say though. In fact, I originally made an account on MDC because someone on here was asking about video game development because her kid was interested in it.

#17 of 22 Old 09-03-2011, 03:37 AM

I browse here periodically but don't get a chance to post as much as I would like to! Hooray for unschoolers!  

-Kerry @ City Kids Homeschooling

#18 of 22 Old 09-05-2011, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I voted other.

I used to come more regularly but now not as often.   But whenever I do come it is both to ask and answer questions / share experiences.  And to get inspired.  Sometimes I just have bit of time when i want to read something interesting and so I come here.  This is the only unschooling forum I visit - I have tried nearly a dozen others (incl. groups / lists) and this is the one where I feel comfortable having a serious discussion, with multiple perspectives.

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#19 of 22 Old 09-05-2011, 05:14 AM
2xy

I voted "other." I visit MDC regularly, but only pop into the unschooling forum occasionally. I like to read about others experiences and occasionally to chime in. I've been a message board junkie for years, but unschooling forums have always sort of turned me off because there's always a few extremists who get on their high horses and say things like "You're not an unschooler because you make your kids brush their teeth." I haven't seen too much of that on MDC, but I just don't really need homeschooling/unschooling support anymore. My kids are grown-ish.

#20 of 22 Old 09-05-2011, 05:26 PM

I voted the problem/doubt myself, and it's that situation that leads me here, but then I come to read and get inspired again! So, I could have voted either way.

#21 of 22 Old 09-07-2011, 03:18 PM

As it quite obvious by my post count, i've been here a long time but have spent most of it lurking. By the time I'm done reading everything I want to read I usually have to move on, so not a lot of posts. Also, with my kids getting older, there seems to be less to discuss....
#22 of 22 Old 09-11-2011, 08:18 AM

I've been on MDC for quite some time too, mostly to read. What I look for specifically has evolved along with my life. Lately I come to check the Unschooling board first, then homeschooling, then others if I have time or a specific thing I'm looking for.

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page