Graduating a Unschooler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-12-2011, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son is 17, was unschooled for 1 1/2 years between 7-8th grade. He went to live with his father and went back to school till the 10th grade. He is now living with me. Has 2 years of "public school" left. However....unschooling is so much better for him and our family. We travel quite a bit and he is learning so much from life it's amazing.

However, i'm at a loss as to what to do next. Do we have him take his GED? or can i make up a diploma when we feel the time is right? What do we do next? If he wanted to get a job? go to college some day? He is a life learner in all aspects....but what do we do for closure of the "high school" period. And what would a diploma look like?

thanks

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#2 of 5 Old 09-12-2011, 09:29 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

My eldest eventually chose the public school diploma system over 100% unschooling, but we did continue with the documentation throughout her teen years as a back-up, should completing the high school diploma requirements prove counter-productive. (She was only enrolled in school part-time and was travelling extensively and living away from home.)

What I did was to keep a fairly rigorous-looking private blog, paired with a database system for her transcript. I used Blogger for the blog with Zoho for the transcript, though there may be a better system now. I logged her "courses" according to course number and name, description, comments, start and completion date, course level and credit weight. Here's a sample.

Social Studies 9 SOC0900

Canadian geography and history, geography and culture of South-East Asia.

Travel to Edmonton (9 days), Montreal (9 days), across Canada's heartland by rail (4 days) and to Southeast Asia (60 days).

Background reading, tours, museums, planning, collaborating with others on trip planning. Photo- and text-journaling.

A

Excellent photo and powerpoint

presentations with discussion x 3. 

10-Jul-2008 02-Apr-2009 9 4

Where I live (Canada) it's the transcript that matters. No one ever asks to see a diploma, but it would have been easy to generate a diploma based on the transcript.

The blog was really just some brief anecdotal documentation that supported the awarding of each "credit" on the transcript. For Instrumental Music 11 I linked to YouTube videos. For Social Studies 9 I put in a few photos of her in Myanmar, Thailand, Montreal. For Math10 I documented the textbook she had worked through. I tagged the posts by course name so that they were easy to sort through. The blog would serve as a very robust portfolio if she were to apply to university as an unschooler. 

As it turned out our local high school was happy to award her credits under their system for her unschooled learning, based in part upon my documentation of it. But I think the system would have worked well also as in support of an application for higher education. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Dar

Depending on the laws where you live, you may be able to make him a diploma legally, but a diploma for a homeschool (or other non-accredited high school) won't count for much in a lot of cases. I also found that a transcript was more useful for most things, although we did ours after the fact instead of as we went... it was both fun to sit and think back and stressful to try to remember, but luckily Rain had a lot of college courses so those were documented, so we just had to fill in the rest with other stuff she'd done. With two years of actual high school, though, you'd need to include that on his transcript.

I would wait and see when and if he needs something like this, and then go from there.

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Dar, we live in Dominican Republic and our home base state in America is North Carolina. I am a member of a unschool group on yahoo based out of NC. I will post this question on the group too.

I like the wait and see approach, however if their is something that we need to do extra, i'd like to start that now.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 5 Old 10-20-2011, 08:34 AM

My daughter just graduated.  The school board did her diploma.  It's very official looking.  If we want a transcript they will also give us one - we graded her on various things over the years.  As for college - her facilitator will write her a letter of recommendation and even go with her to interviews if we want, but so far she isn't interested in any formal education.  She works at a bakery franchise and is training for management duties and wants to open her own bakery someday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page