do you talk as radical as you walk? (or more so?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-24-2011, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

When someone fairly new to the concept of homeschooling asks me how we do it, I tend to give a very philosophical answer - children learn naturally etc.

When I am with homeschoolers who follow a syllabus and schedule, I tend to say we don't follow anything in particular.   (Even more so if they are fundamentalists.)   If I get into specifics at all it will be about things that don't sound academic.  The observations one makes while waiting at the bus stop, etc.

While above are factually correct, the way I respond I sound so utterly relaxed, confident, carefree ... like it is so obvious - how can we not learn?  How can any curriculum be more effective than the one that drives us from within?

Now if I am among unschoolers then i am more likely to talk about specific books that we are reading, projects we are doing.  And if I am among radical unschoolers I might even mention the workbooks.  hee hee.

Just wondering whether others walk as radical as they talk (or vice versa?)

Greenmama2 likes this.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#2 of 3 Old 09-25-2011, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

What separates our family from radical unschoolers is a few rules around the house.  We only have TV in the morning.  We have rules about treats.  We have bedtime and brush-teeth time.  Etc. So, I simply label us as unschoolers and leave it at that.  

I think that if I were to evaluate how well we mesh we that philosophy, I'd say we are doing very well.  But my kids are young.  It's super easy to unschool kids this age.  My struggle is that I would like to be more radical, but I need consensus, not mutiny.  So far, I've been able to bend a little and we can negotiate, but for now .....

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 3 Old 09-25-2011, 09:19 AM
AAK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Nope.  I take the more conservative route in conversation with the exception of just a couple close friends.  However, I know that I don't fit the unschooler picture.  I slide more into the eclectic category.  I love the unschool concept, but for us we have some structure and some curriculum.  Technically some of the curriculum was completely student driven.  We use them as tools for learning rather than something we have to do, etc.  I could go on and on.  But, in short, I loved your question and wanted to reply.

So, in conversation I rarely use the word "unschool".  If it is with someone who doesn't homeschool, I say that there are "lots of resources out there".  If I want to toot my own horn, I talk about all our projects/hands on stuff that we do.  If someone is thinking about homeschooling, I try to be supportive of them regardless of their path and I open my door to my "scary room"--houses all the good/bad/ugly that we have bought to support our at home learning.  If someone suspects that their child is dyslexic, the conversation gets more serious because I understand that battle.  Methods/curriculums/research regarding dyslexia can keep me talking for a L O N G time.  Sheepish.gif

Amy

Mom to three very active girls Anna (14), Kayla (11), Maya (8). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page