Salon.com Article on Home-Schooler (really Unschooler) Goes to College... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-11-2011, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, I posted this in the main homeschooling forum, but thought I'd repost here--as the girl in the article was unschooled. :)

http://life.salon.com/2011/10/12/a_home_schooler_goes_to_college/

"These people have no idea how unschooling works.

And it’s hard for me to explain it to them. Because unschooling, for me, worked a lot like living. It wasn’t a dramatic political statement about our broken society. My parents decided not to send me to school because they liked hanging out with me. It sounds too simple. Were they radical anarchists or free-love types? Nope. They were just two brave people who believed that kids are naturally smart, and will naturally learn the things people need to learn to get by. As a result I am very polite and pretty bad at math. My parents were entrepreneurs. They were running their own business when I was born. They thought they could probably make it work. They didn’t think they were smarter than other people; they just trusted themselves to figure it out...."

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#2 of 6 Old 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

What a well-crafted article for a general audience! Thanks for sharing!

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 6 Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks for sharing this!

#4 of 6 Old 10-15-2011, 02:50 AM

Loved reading this!  Thanks for sharing!  This is how I hope my kids feel later looking back on their childhood of having been homeschooled.  I hope they have a different college experience, but I think maybe I'm naive too.

#5 of 6 Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM

The author Kate Fridkis also has a really great blog called Skipping School. I highly recommend it!

read.gif mama to 2 dust.gifhomeschool.giftreehugger.gifsaynovax.gifRainbow.gif
#6 of 6 Old 10-19-2011, 02:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

It is nice to read about her experiences.  Some questions came up for me though - she says that she didn't have much idea what major to pick.  That is true for many who go from high school to college as well.   Still readers may be left wondering how well an unschooler will be prepared for college if they are seeking a career path, and college is part of that path. 

Actually I was interested in everything when I went to college too, so perhaps my choice of major was just as arbitrary and definitely not career-oriented - that didn't set in for me till later and then I had to get a Master's to be qualified.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page